In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chasing a smoke leak on an Ideal Steel

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BDF, Oct 7, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

You're fine, I just wanted you to let you know it didn't go unnoticed.:binoculars:

My IS heats my home likes this.
  2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Agreed. If it worked OK like that last winter, you will now have way too much draft with that tall of a chimney if it isn't damped down...
    My wood furnace chimney is like yours, I have a "drip leg" below the tee that goes down to the clean out door. The cap is just friction fit, no lock, so I put a couple bricks under it, there is no way it is coming off accidently.

3. BDF

BDF

I am thinking of doing something similar, such as a piece of lumber that wedges under the entire pipe. Or something like a sling that has a strap to go under the bottom of the cap..... a sort of 'smoke pipe thong' if you will. :bug:

Honestly, I cannot imagine how or why mine fell off in the first place; this is DuraVent, which has those screw segments that mate and thread with the other sections. After the pipe (or cap) is pushed all the way into the receiving pipe (Boys!), it is twisted clockwise until it binds on the thread sections so I really cannot imagine the cap just falling off. On the other hand, I cannot believe that I did not put the cap on in the first place, and especially that I would have dropped it down what remains of the masonry chimney. ?? ?? ?? DuraVent does sell pipe clamps to go over the joints of each section and securely bind them together after they are attached, so <perhaps> a lot of heating / cooling cycles causes the pipe to creep apart over time? No matter, from now on, I will check that cap occasionally. I am also thinking about putting those clamp rings on the rest of the chimney before it gets closed in with drywall.

Brian

4. Unhdsm

Unhdsm

I bet it's been like that since December 24th.

My IS heats my home likes this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

If the one from Wytheville WV sees this, all bets are off.

6. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Personalities and stove humor all over the place... :D

brenndatomu likes this.
  7. BDF

BDF

Yeah, well I just had a mental image of a strap around the bottom of the chimney, and then a strap going from one side to the other under the bottom..... it just sort of popped into my frontal lobes. Sorry Boys!

At least you folks only have to deal with the cleaned- up, sanitized and PG rated thoughts- I am stuck with the raw feed and it IS a little scary.... :)

Like the line I really liked said "I know the voices are not real but they do have some really cool ideas".
    - Unknown but it amused me

Brian

Chaz, Unhdsm, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  8. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

something my wife would say in the morning after having a great dream through the night

9. golf66

golf66

Bumping an old thread, dang, my IS deflector plate looked just like that of BDF There was visible light coming through between the gasket and the steel plate. I removed the bolt-on deflector, hammered it back into shape as best as possible and then installed a larger gasket to bridge the gap.

Chaz likes this.
  10. BDF

BDF

Yeah, the other sacrificial part on an I.S., with the first being the radiator. Not so bad really, a couple of relatively inexpensive part to replace every few years, or bang back into shape and re- gasket to keep using the stove. The alternitive was something like a pot- belly stove in the olden' days that needed re- sealing and re- fitting every year or two or it would run away in the middle of a burn....

Brian

Maina and Chaz like this.