In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chain sharpening tutorial.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pallet Pete, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Moparmyway

Moparmyway

I think I have the Stihl roller guide for their PS/PS3 (LoPro) chains .............. If you want to try that out, just say the word.

I think that you will love that Timberline once all of your teeth are fully profiled to its angles

clemsonfor likes this.
  2. OldJack

OldJack

A Husqvarna .325 narrow kerf roller guide won't fit over a standard kerf .325 chain. Back to the dealer for an exchange.
    Narrow - p/n 505 69 81-08
    Standard - p/n 505 69 81-09

3. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

The wheels on my Roughneck grinder are wearing down fast.

Have you guys ever seen a cutter that was dull on both sides? The chain came with a saw I bought.

[​IMG]

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Uhhh. They must of run that bad boy backwards for awhile!!! Or either ran it backwards to rock it?

Maybe they tried to sharpen the backside?

5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I got another chain from the same person and it had been ran backwards too. It was not rocked out on the backside like this one.

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

How can you not realize something is wrong? They smoke like crazy throw dust and most important...they dont cut!!! You would have to run one a lot to dull it out like that!

Jeffrey Svoboda likes this.
  7. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Maybe his sharpened chain did not cut any better than what it did backwards.

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Maybe so?

9. Machria

Machria

LOL. Ok, I officially no longer have the worst chains!! :D

10. Machria

Machria

Forget running them backwards, the SIDES of my chains are dull!!! I use them as bark scrapers! :D

11. Nicholas62388

Nicholas62388

So I bought nay first power care sharpening kit(file and stuff, not the electric grinder) yesterday for my oregon 18inch chains i use on my POS craftsman chainsaw. I did my first attempt at sharpening today with my file and it turned out awful. I couldn't cut through butter if i wanted to. I def have to practice with 1.making sure the file is completely flat with the groove and not at an angle(top wise), make sure every pass is at 30degree angle which is what my chain says to do. and make sure i just go from in to out, and not back and forth..I def have to watch more videos, and practice on my other chains, cuz maybe the chain i started with was extremely beat up and not able to be fixed or filed down to cut good again....

12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

If the chain was trashed and burnt up you can be looking at a dozen strokes per cutter maybe more if it's rocked good. How many do you think you did? And if you took a lot of material maybe your rakes are too high not not letting the cutters actually take a bite of wood?

Kyle Mulligan likes this.
  13. Nicholas62388

Nicholas62388

i did the 4, but honestly i went back and forth which I was not sure bout...i now know to go only inside to out, and not to drag the file back thru cuz it will mess up the sharpness

14. Jon1270

Jon1270

Going back and forth is ineffective and bad for the file itself, but it probably isn't the main reason your first sharpening attempt didn't work.

You'll find all sorts of instructions for different sharpening methods, but the main thing isn't the method, it's understanding the tooth shape you're trying to achieve. If you can't recognize a sharp, properly-shaped tooth by sight then you won't have any feedback mechanism indicating the need for small but important adjustments. Study a nice, clean tooth on a brand new chain, from all angles, and see if you can make an old, beat-up tooth look like that.

15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

This is so weird. I just got a notification email for this thread. Last posted to on Jan 20 and I even read that and clicked through a notification then? Maybe someone deleted a post? This was the second notification that I got thismourning for old posts?

16. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Spam.

17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Oh ok. That makes more sense than a notification for an almost month old post.

It wasent that guy again that opens his trash with the chainsaw and sharpens with a Dremel was it?:rofl: :lol:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  18. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Nope, not him.

clemsonfor likes this.
  19. PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods

Hi, folks. Been kickin' around the forums for a few years now and finally subbed up over here after lurkin' for a while. Read this whole thread first and wrote a long azz post, then decided it may be a little over the top for my first one. The vid covers a good chunk of what I was gonna post anyway and is a lot more entertaining than I am, so here ya go if you haven't run across this guy yet.

This is a good one for everybody.....,

20. nosurprise87

nosurprise87

I like Buckings technique.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

p61 western likes this.