In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Progress Hybrid Full Load

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Waulie, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Waulie

Waulie

Well, here it is. A full load in the PH. I'm going to shoot for a long, slow burn. The weather seems about right for it. It is 29 out right now and is suppose to hold there all night and actually warm a couple degrees by morning. The high tomorrow is right around 40.

A couple potential issue with this test burn:
    1. I have to work tomorrow. So, I will monitor the load until bed and again in the morning. We'll see if we make it until I get home tomorrow. If not, I will instruct my wife to note the time she turns the stove up and/or reloads. I'll also ask her to take a picture of the coals and note the stove temp if she reloads, but she is certain to roll her eyes. :rolleyes:
    2. I sometimes get the stubborn yet faint smoke smell if I run a load turned down too far. If that happens, I will need to open the draft a little bit (and subsequently maybe a window). However, all indications are that that issue with the PH has been fixed. I just haven't upgraded yet.
    3. I haven't cleaned the flyash off the window in quite a while so pictures from the front aren't going to be that great.

Here is the load:

IMG_0318.JPG

7*7.5*21.5 Sugar Maple
    6*6*19 Sugar Maple
    5*5*21 Sugar Maple
    4*7*18 Ironwood
    2 small beech rounds (for filler)
    4*5*19 Sugar Maple

It's pretty darn full.

Here are the coals that I loaded on after an 11 hour burn on just over a half load:

IMG_0315.JPG

There were actually way more than that but I shovel some ash out of the stove for the test burn. I shoveled with the stove way hotter than I normally would, so I lost quite a few coals.

Stovetop was at 240 when I loaded. House was at 68 degrees:
    IMG_0314.JPG

I loaded at 6:18pm. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

About time Bryan gets some competition! :popcorn:

Ray

Backwoods Savage, fox9988 and BrianK like this.
  3. Waulie

Waulie

This load took a little longer to get going than normal. But, large sugar maple splits aren't know for their instant flame!

After 5 minutes:

IMG_0319.JPG

After 15 minutes, I notched the draft down about 1/3. Exterior single wall flue temp at 250:

IMG_0320.JPG

Then, at the 18 minute mark, I notched the draft down to half open.

After 21 minutes, I engaged the cat with the draft still half open. Exterior flue temp was 340. Just before engaging the cat, it looked like this:

IMG_0321.JPG
    Just after engaging the cat, it looked liked this:

IMG_0322.JPG

4. papadave

papadave

:popcorn:

BrianK and raybonz like this.
  5. BrianK

BrianK

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

concretegrazer and raybonz like this.
  6. Waulie

Waulie

I gave it another 5 minutes with the draft half open. The flame died out to just a little off the top of the splits and some light secondaries:

IMG_0323.JPG
    I'm going to give it a few here as it's not going that great and I don't want to stall the cat.

7. raybonz

raybonz Moderator

LOL:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

concretegrazer and BrianK like this.
  8. BrianK

BrianK

raybonz likes this.
  9. Waulie

Waulie

All right, I'm settled in here. A little less 40 minutes after loading (this is way longer than normal), I'm set with the draft just a hair above closed. Stovetop at 350 and climbing. Just a touch of secondaries going. Pic coming....

10. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Great content! That's a beautiful stove and hearth you have!

BrianK likes this.
  11. Waulie

Waulie

Th
    Thank you!

12. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR

[​IMG]
    This^ This is a great photo. It is showing very little flame. I am very interested in knowing how this burns. Will it maintain the low burn or will it flame up and eat into the wood?

Thank you for doing this.

13. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR

[​IMG]

YES! Fully loaded! Hot damm!

concretegrazer, BrianK and papadave like this.
  14. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries

Very nice Waulie...following this one. :popcorn:

15. sherwood

sherwood

Hey, Waulie, I see you took off you smoke shield.

16. Waulie

Waulie

Seems to be going just fine. Stovetop is at 400 and just slowly rising. Minimal secondaries in the back. Cat is definitely eating the smoke.

IMG_0324.JPG

17. Waulie

Waulie

That fell off a long time ago. I see no need for it whatsoever.

18. Waulie

Waulie

Well, I could have definitely fit more in, but I wanted it to be a realistic full load and not a search through the stacks and assemble a jigsaw puzzle full load. ;)

Oldhippie, raybonz, papadave and 3 others like this.
  19. sherwood

sherwood

My smoke shield keeps coming loose and hanging down. Woodstock doesn't want me to remove it, but I am going to as soon as I have access to a cold stove....

Oldhippie likes this.
  20. Waulie

Waulie

Same thing here. Barely any secondaries. Stovetop at 430 and holding steady.