In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2023-2024 Matra

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Skier76, Oct 6, 2023.

1. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I have been using matra for the past 3 years. Great pellet! The price of pellets around me is going up big time. Matras are now 420 a ton. I’m getting 2 ton of Java flame to mix with the matras so I’ll report how they burn. Last year javas were like 350 a ton this year they are like 500. It’s crazy!

2. Skier76

Skier76

Matra’s and Java Flame…that’ll put out some heat! Keep us posted!

jtakeman, bogieb and PelletHound like this.
  3. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Will do! I have 2 ton of matras that I have ordered from last year and I’m getting 2 ton of Java at a discounted rate so my winter should be warm lol

4. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

upload_2023-11-4_12-46-12.jpeg New javas

Skier76, Polaris 1, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  5. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

upload_2023-11-4_12-45-42.jpeg
    I always loved those then I used to be able to get them. Somerset isn’t around upstate ny. If they came back up here I would prob use them. I use pretty much strictly matra now.

Skier76, Polaris 1, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I miss my Somersets, I can get them at $375.00, but that's too much

7. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

I can’t find them in upstate ny at all. Only time I found them was years ago at a local Home Depot I think. They messed up and got those

bogieb, eatonpcat and PelletHound like this.
  8. Skier76

Skier76

I’ve been burning a mix of Matra’s and leftover Still Rivers on these cooler nights at of late. So it’s hard to get a full assessment of straight Matra burns. That being said, there’s so much less ash vs the big box stuff I’ve burned for years. Even the glass stays cleaner.

9. Tullytown

Tullytown

box store hardwoods and lots of ash go together..... good softies have far less ash,, don't know why but they do.
    burning softies for many many yrs....just got some decent hardwoods for a change this past spring to go along with the softies.

gbreda, Skier76 and bogieb like this.
  10. D-Mac0211

D-Mac0211

Just curious do you guys do anything about the amount of fly ash? Someone told me to put some aluminum foil over the intake with an about half dollar sized hole in it. Seems to be ok but I feel like when I woke up my stove was black inside

ttdberg likes this.
  11. Tullytown

Tullytown

never gave fly ash a second thought....9 yrs with the harman and concidered part of the burn.. I get it mostly at startup then settles down..
    gonna vacuum the stove periodically so ash is ash.. but I don't get any black inside unless I have settings to0 low like feed rate etc..That will cause a dirty burn OAK or no OAK.

D-Mac0211 likes this.
  12. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Yup, enjoy the fireworks show!
    :fire:

D-Mac0211 likes this.
  13. Orson_Yancey

Orson_Yancey

He seems like the more fines, the more fly ash.

14. Tullytown

Tullytown

blocking off some of the air inlet contributed to your stove being black inside..your getting a dirty burn due to being obsessive about fly ash..any ash in the stove is normal.. we are burning sawdust wood..

D-Mac0211, PelletHound and bogieb like this.
  15. Skier76

Skier76

I’ve been burning the Matra’s for a week or two now and I’m really impressed. The heat output is excellent. The lack of ash is really something. I’ve emptied the ash pan and had more pellets in there than ash. It’s a massive difference from the big box stuff I’ve been burning in prior years. Also, that glass on the stove remains very clean.

ttdberg and bogieb like this.
  16. Tullytown

Tullytown

box store pellets are usually middle or lower grade hardwoods. all pellets produce heat..semi affordable pricing is 1st priority at box stores. lots of ash is exspected...
    stove chows for example we're Home depots go to on the east coast for years...
    Lignetics bought out many pellet brands including Energex who supplied box stores with the chows...
    chows are still around but now in a Green supremes bag of which flavor I am not sure of.
    I would imagine they are sold at my HD now since they buy tractor triailer loads starting september-october.

Skier76 and bogieb like this.
  17. Skier76

Skier76

It’s been a bit of an eye opener for me. It’s a lot less of cleaning the stove.

jtakeman and ttdberg like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

It's been a while since I've burn softies. Got cheap deal on some pine bedding pellets and they burn with half as much ash as the crap Green Supremes. More heat too!

I need to get me some good softies soon!!

ttdberg, PelletHound and Skier76 like this.
  19. Skier76

Skier76

I’ve been really happy with these pellets. My only quibble is the amount of fines. You definitely have to be mindful of those or else it’ll cause issues with the auger.

I took the advice a few posts up and let the hopper run close to empty every other day or so. I then use an inspection mirror to push the fines in to the main part of the hopper. They tend to bunch up right next to the auger housing. If they stay there, they’ll eventually get into the auger in large clumps and cause the stove to shut down. If I can get those clumps early, no issues. And I shouldn’t say “clumps”; it’s more of a semi packed vertical column on each side that disperses easily with the mirror.

ttdberg, Iron Stove and jtakeman like this.
  20. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I picked up another ton of Matras from A1 Friday. After a warm December, I think the rest of January and February will be much colder than last years no show winter.

ttdberg, Skier76 and jtakeman like this.