In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

‘Merica

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Softwood, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Softwood

Softwood

Right on. I was just wondering what idea the kid had that you thought was disrespectful. Having the flag flying from the truck or getting the truck wrapped in it.

Eggshooterist likes this.
  2. jrider

jrider

Yep. And it sucks! My dad has been gone almost 16 years but I’m certain he would feel he didn’t serve in the Marines so people could use the term to disrespect our nation trying to be cool.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  3. Softwood

Softwood

Hey, sorry for getting you gals panties up in a bunch using a "term" you think is disrespectful..:D I know many people who don't find it offensive and they've served our country, unlike me and you (but maybe they are just "rednecks"?). Why is it that a group of people that are supposed to be so "tolerant" and 'inclusive" of everyone, are themselves the exact opposite if they don't agree with others thoughts/beliefs?:salute:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    billb3, Husky Man, Eric VW and 5 others like this.
  4. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

To clarify my position here. I have no problems necessary with the original story. He'd be someone I'd hang out with vs someone having their vehicle wrapped with a pride flag.

With that being said and the term redneck being used in this thread, trying to keep this non political, what would be an appropriate term for someone from the far left vs the far right, in your opinion. I'm somewhere in the middle so no term is really offensive to me, so i don't understand.

Chaz, brenndatomu and Softwood like this.
  5. Softwood

Softwood

We're all just "people" in the end brother, so I'll pick that term. No need to name call or box people into a "group" if you don't agree with them was all I was getting at.

Husky Man, MikeInMa, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  6. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

What's the fun in that?!?!? (We need a devils horn emoji) :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Chaz, brenndatomu and Softwood like this.
  7. jrider

jrider

Who’s supposed to be tolerant? People are free to do whatever the hell they want but not everybody has to like it.

8. jrider

jrider

Yet you address others as gals and mention their panties because they don’t like certain words or terms.

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  9. Softwood

Softwood

Couldn't agree more!

10. Softwood

Softwood

It was tongue in cheek jrider, hence the :D emoji (I don't really think you are gals).. Have one of those things you call beers and relax..:D (that was another joke)

jrider, Chaz, brenndatomu and 2 others like this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz

I seem to remember having a US flag patch on my AF uniforms.

I wonder, how does the US flag code address that?

Perhaps I need to read it again.. it's only been a about 45 yrs or so since I was in the scouts.
    :hair::faint:

Edit..
    Found it.

12. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

As far as i remember from scouts and their uniform the flag patch was ok to wear but only in the correct location. If i remember right it could only be worn on the upper shoulder. If it was the traditional flag layout, blue and stars in the upper left corner, that patch would be worn on the left shoulder. An opposite layout, blue and stars in the upper right corner, would be needed for the right shoulder. The reason i remember, and it very well could be wrong the whole thing could be wrong, the flag must flow or wave in the correct direction while walking/marching forward.

13. Chaz

Chaz

Correct.

14. Chaz

Chaz

A "Redneck", for want of a general description/definition. Is basically the southern version of a "hillbilly".

In times gone by (not very long ago indeed) these were folks that lived in the "back country", and didn't get involved with the shenanigans of city folk. They socialized primarily with family, generally extended family, and co-workers. Who were also likely close and extended family.

They are also presumed to be lacking in "social graces". But that is more of a stereotype, rather than a hard fact.
    Although many do enjoy living up to, or "down to" that stereotype.

Although in times past, formal schooling was not emphasized, as many went to work at a young age.

Generally speaking, they can be found at virtually any racing event (probably excluding Formula 1 races) , there is usually copious amounts of alcohol in attendance, as well as guns.

There is no mudhole that can't or shouldn't be explored and enjoyed.

EDIT.. in my best Jeff Foxworthy voice.. "If you were the kid that liked to jump in mudpuddles, You might be a redneck."
    :rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Basically the kinda people I hung out with while stationed in the south. They're a damm fun bunch, but like all groups of people, there are "100W bulbs, and 5W bulbs."
    :rofl: :lol:

For the above comparison, although comedians doing skits, one can reference Jeff Foxworthy, and Larry the Cable Guy.

Oh, and unless you're the type of person with a stick in an inappropriate place, you will NEVER offend a redneck by addressing him or her as such.

They just don't GAF
    :yes:

If you want to see a depiction of Hillbilly life, watch "Coal miner's Daughter."

Haven't seen that in a while, gonna have to rectify that.
    :popcorn:

BUT, I do think there's some confusion with the ones that fly the Confederate flag right beside the American flag.
    :loco: :crazy:

But, I also hate seeing old statues and memorials being taken down or desecrated, by overly righteous, idiots that refuse to let the past be a learning tool, only to serve their agenda.
    $.02
    :emb:

Perhaps the Japanese/Americans will demand the removal of all statues and pictorials of the Iwo Jima's flag raising.

Don't like something, delete it.
    :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Eric VW, Ron T, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  15. Chaz

Chaz

Well crap, that just cost me $4.99 on Prime.
    :rofl: :lol:

EDIT.. If you have kids, be advised that Loretta Lynn was married at the age of 13. So, if you're not inclined to want to explain some things to young kids.. I'd skip family viewing night with this one.

16. Chaz

Chaz

Crud.. I'm laying in bed with my mind returning to this thread.
    :hair:

I can understand your position, but I certainly am not offended when I hear that term. It's pretty much always a "tongue in cheek" sort of reference.

To both of those quotes I will say one thing.. Tolerance, and Acceptance are 2 very different words, and concepts.

There are many things I tolerate, but do not have to accept, or embrace.

Also, for better or worse, I'm pretty sure that most foreigners think of most Americans as "rednecks", primarily because of the gun culture in the US.

Personally, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when some foreign political leader tells his/her top military leaders that they want to invade the US.
    o_Oo_Oo_O

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

That military leader would be..

"You do realize that the US has one of the largest standing militaries in the world. And that roughly 40% of the citizenry is armed.. with multiple weapons.
    :hair::hair::hair:

Hey, whatever keeps the wolves at bay.
    :rootintootin:

Ron T, Ronaldo, Eggshooterist and 2 others like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz

Have to add a caveat to this.. one does have to accept the reality that surrounds them, otherwise they are just being delusional.

Still no need to embrace the stupidity that seems rampant.

Ron T and brenndatomu like this.
  18. yooperdave

yooperdave

19. Softwood

Softwood

So the majority of the FHC forum?:smoke:

billb3, brenndatomu, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  20. Chaz

Chaz

I know of several that fit the bill.
    :thumbs:

:rootintootin::cheers:

This can be my theme song..

Eric VW, brenndatomu and Softwood like this.