In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

‘Merica

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Softwood, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Softwood

Softwood

2. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

Well, depending on how and when the flag was flown, he could have been violating the rules outlined in the US flag code. If so, it's compete disrespect to the flag and illegal. Like those rednecks who tie flags to their SxS's and then proceed to drive through the mud, water and sand pounding their chests about how 'patriotic' they are. :rolleyes: They have no idea what fools they look like to those in the know.

U.S. Flag Code

I was taught at a very young age by my grandma proper flag etiquette when I stayed over on the family homestead farm during summer. We would put it up every morning and take it down every night, as the flag pole was not lit at night. She let me carry it back to the house and told me to never let it touch the ground other wise we would have to burn it. We would also take it down before it rained. She showed me how to properly fold it and it was always stored in the same place every night. It was only when I got older I realized why she did what she did....she was simply following the US flag code. :usa:

This is the flag pole, taken off Google street view, as the farm is still operational and now ran by my aunt & uncle.

upload_2024-3-21_16-38-24.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Chaz, John D, Marvin and 8 others like this.
  3. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

There’s a firewood seller about 5 miles up the road on a double lane split highway. He has two flag poles at each end of his wood yard. Both flags are tattered to the point there’s only about 1/2 of them left. Bugs the snot out of me. I’ve thought multiple times of leaving a letter in his mailbox. It’s a disgrace.

4. RCBS

RCBS

My question on this incident....Would a flag with a rainbow of colors also not be allowed?

5. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Once you know, it's sad to see how most handle the flag. Was a very proud thing when i was in boy scouts. Participated in a couple flag burning ceremonies put on by the local legion.

Chaz, In the Pines, John D and 9 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sounds like a good lad and some good folks in the area.

Chaz, Softwood and John D like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

We got a couple vets that drive out and offer to replace the tattered flags with new. Then have flag burning events with Boy Scouts. They allowed me to buy flags for them to replace worn BUT refused any other donations.

Chaz, In the Pines, MikeInMa and 5 others like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

JRHAWK9 I reposted your link.

US Flag Code (us-flag.net)

I would guess that everyone of us is guilty of not following the flag code.

Specifically, this one:

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use.

This would include business cards.

It's a slippery slope.

Hinerman, Chaz, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  9. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

The argument is, clothes that are made to resemble or are the same colors as the flag but not made out of an actual flag, are they breaking the code?

What about business cards that arnt made out of an actual flag but have a red, white, and blue background?

As far as I'm concerned i never owned any clothing that resemble a flag until my ex wife bought me a pair of swimming trunks for a 4th of july get together. Needless to say, we didn't see eye to eye on most everything.

Edit: I may only be 36 but i went to a Christian school thru 4th grade. We stood and recited the pledge of allegiance every morning.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Chaz, Softwood, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

This is clearly a violation of the code.

Of course, it wouldn't be made from an actual flag but if it is imprinted on a business card, it is a violation. think of how many times and places you (we) have seen the flag printed on posters, business cards, decals pasted on items such as license plates, patches sewn on clothing, and on and on and on.

I had this conversation years ago with a VA advisor. He is the guy that let me know about it. He said, I have a flag imprinted on my business cards and I am in violation of the code. He has since changed his business cards and placed the VA administration seal on them. And got rid of the bug shield with two flags that was on the front of his truck.

How the flag is displayed has a lot to do with reverence and respect.

If the nation had not abolished the draft, these qualities would be instilled in a lot more of the nations younger crowd......and that's another conversation. :handshake:

Chaz, Softwood, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  11. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

I've seen it all over since i learned the code. I always wondered how they got away with it. Guess it was just a precursor to what's going on today.

Chaz, brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  12. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Seems that was the turning point, during my generation, where money became more important than values. Maybe you older guys saw it at a different time of your life? Until we get back to values over money, this country is doomed.

Chaz, Softwood, John D and 2 others like this.
  13. jrider

jrider

I don't know what's more disrespectful, the idea of this kid or the term 'Merica'.

14. Warner

Warner

The company I work for uses a semblance of the American flag horizontal with the stars on the right as their logo. Drives me nuts. They say it’s because we are always running to the next job and it’s flapping in our breeze. Mmm ok.

15. Softwood

Softwood

huh?

Chaz likes this.
  16. John D

John D

Definitely agree

Chaz, Jeffrey Svoboda and Softwood like this.
  17. jrider

jrider

I misread the title. ‘Merica is just very disrespectful to me.

buZZsaw BRAD, Chaz, Softwood and 2 others like this.
  18. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Being a conservative, i seem to fit in no where anymore. Idk when it became "cool" to be a redneck hick. Restrained or cautious, I'm sure that kid is not.

Screenshot_20240323_100746_Chrome.jpg

Eric VW, Marvin, Chaz and 1 other person like this.
  19. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

It's a term widely used by rednecks who self proclaim themselves as "patriots".

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Chaz and jrider like this.
  20. Softwood

Softwood

What’s a redneck? And why do you place yourself so much above them?