In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Flames in Ash Pan?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by wildwest, Nov 25, 2014.

1. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

500 CFM

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

That is the convection one. The one you have should be a SE44144 which was also used on Osburns and at least the Enerzone Eurozone which none other than DexterDay has in his hot grubby hands and will end up with a PC from me before the evening is done. There is also a SD slot on that stove that allows Drolet to revise the program that controls how the stove burns. The back-draft flapper air shutter should be on the stove in the plastic piece that the OAK attaches to (don't now why it isn't) and your stove is supposed to have a 3" inside diameter OAK insulated and of ridged or flexible metal construction. 4" on the other version of the 65.

I just flipped, rotated, enlarged and ran all the numbers through Google got nada.

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE and wildwest like this.
  3. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Finished the one ton clean!!
    I got a second wind, went back at it and accomplished more of the one ton cleaning, dear husband got home work and used the %^#$%^&*() exhaust tube brush effortlessly :rofl: :lol: Not too much came out either. Its all put together and on start mode now. :rootintootin:

4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Just sent a PM to DexterDay.

5. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Thanks! I am sorry I can't find the part or #'s you are looking for. For being an old bear you are quite patient!

does this mean anything for the info I can't find?

upload_2015-2-27_19-43-24.png

ivanhoe and IHATEPROPANE like this.
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I've been offline for a bit and have heard from DexterDay who has company at the current time and will respond later on.

He says that Drolet should be able to help you via the SD card interface.

wildwest and ivanhoe like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Incomplete update, but an update, we have not run it above mid level temp.

THOROUGH one ton cleaning yesterday. The last one I did by myself and could not brush the exchange tubes, used a wire hanger instead to knock off what I could. This time husband brushed the exchange tubes well. It's running well on lower settings and the familiar clink of pellets dropping is back to what I remember. (to clarify, STB, I don't have a removeable tray for the exchange tubes but I do have a channel below them, ran the ash vac all the way a couple times :) )

Apparently I did something wrong or have a squirrel cage clog somewhere, the upper level settings make a fan vibrate. More like a thud vibrate. I will get a good look at it on Monday so see if there is a clod of something on a blade, I also wonder though.......The side panels did not go back on as easy as they used to, maybe we shifted the frame or something and that affected the balance of a fan?

Nothing urgent, thanks friends!!

IHATEPROPANE and ivanhoe like this.
  8. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Observations:

After this last ashpan fire the ash/soot I cleaned was much darker or blacker than previous cleanings.

Cleaning the holes in the burn pot, doubt it helped as this is the pic before hand:

DSCF1509.JPG

He ran like sized drill bits through the holes by hand (no drill) anyway as suggested by Drolet. PS the holes that look blocked in the upper left is my fingers holding the burn pot up for the pic :)

IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and slvrblkk like this.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Tell him that brass gun bore brushes work very well keeping burn pot holes clean and won't damage the burn pot at all. You just have to get the correct size brushes.

IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

He said excellent! Thanks!! :thumbs:

On my side of things, he also has rods with a large needle head that he puts a small cloth in to run in and out of his rifles. I have difficulty with the brush for the exchange tubes, could I use something similar with a wire hanger in the exchange tubes (they have a bend in them)?

IHATEPROPANE and ivanhoe like this.
  11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I would be leary of using anything that can be twisted off in the heat exchanger area and most gun (shot gun sized etc ...) brushes are not a solid piece from end to end, have heard of horror stories trying to get brush heads out of where they weren't intended to get. I have a different arrangement on my heat exchanger and I use both a .22 brass bore brush and a 16 Ga brass bore brush. Each stove model is just enough different so you have to judge what can happen if things go wrong. IIRC you got into a little situation back a bit. I don't always post however I just might be reading and chuckling a bit.

What concerns me about your most recent mess is that with the simple vent system and it being a 4" one your stove should be able to be burned on all settings and last longer than one like mine between deep cleanings provided you can get the fuel/air mix up to snuff.

I also didn't like the response you got from Drolet as that stove has a means for them to update things.

I would like to see what you have for a pressure reading as well as what Drolet or SBI recommend for a starting point with a clean stove and vent system. I know that Drolet strongly recommends that the stove be installed by other than the homeowner.

I hope Dexter doesn't forget to drop in here.

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Chuckle away friend, really!, hope you are laughing as hard as I am about my follies, my self deprication cracks me up and I ALWAYS appreciate a chuckle :) (mostly at myself LOL). If I didn't expect you and others to have a laugh like I did I would not admit to my follies :rofl: :lol:. That said and it's true, I am glad you got a chuckle out of it, hoping others did too, but I sincerely appreciate your input on whats going on currently.

Whats the name of the tool to measure that?

Thanks Smokey

ivanhoe likes this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Please everyone, have giggle a on that question too, really!!

ivanhoe likes this.
  14. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Magnehelic

ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I just read through this entire thread (half I read awhile ago ) and several things here...

This stove has two blowers for combustion (confusing to some. But it works well). The combustion blower (before the pot/by the OAK inlet) is for when the stove is calling for heat and needs more air. When the stove is in maintenance burn (stat is satisfied) only the exhaust blower runs.

Also, it should have some trim settings. Even though it does not have the touch screen interface like my stove, it should have some type of adjustment? Why would a higher BTU stove with the same blower motors have no adjustments? ?

If they have changed the OAK inlet to 4"? What did they do? The outer inlet is only held by 2 latches? Seems that it should just be a new inlet they can send you?

As for a dirty stove after 60 bags? I know many people go much father than that with a 3" vent system. I just cleaned mine today after over 2 ton and it was not bad at all. I could easily go a full year (or 2).

I have tomorrow off and will read the manual and dig into this further.

I have bought a 2nd burn pot from Don2222 and have begun to experiment with other holes further back by the ignitor. I have not done this because pellets overflow, but because of carbon build up. No air back there creates a large build up of carbon. But in WW case? Maybe the extra burn air earlier in the pot will help with the pellet burn?

This is my stock pot. My experimental pot is in the stove now.

1425185994851.jpg

IHATEPROPANE, ivanhoe and wildwest like this.
  16. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

She has been behaving this weekend. :banana: Not sure but I wonder if the vibrating (thuds) in one of the blowers was from a chunk of debris was sucked into the fan from the last thorough cleaning. She blew out a plume of ash after hubby ran the brush down the exchange tubes even though I vacuumed the tray under them. Either way after experimenting with different speeds last night, the noise is gone for now, I hope to find what caused it tomorrow... I am hoping it was a clod on a fan blade that I can vac out?

I don't have the correct gaskets to take off and remount the big blowers (nor the expertice) but I do have a big ash vac and I can remove the grill on atleast one of them. Hopefully the the roof will melt soon (metal/slippery in snow and ice) so he can do the LBT at some point during daylight hours--on the weekend--on solid footing. He has swept the pipe several times with a brush (lost count along with total bags burned). We have a tee on the stove adapter with a clean out cap. That said, from what I understand I go through more pellets than most :emb::picard::whistle:.

I have never seen black ash before (new to pellets Sept 2014). We have been running ~~6 weeks for one ton cleanings, pipe sweeping on different schedule depending on the weather/roof conditions on the weekends. He has not swept anything more than flyash out of the pipe so far. This is the first time I have seen black ash in the firebox and exhaust path doors in the stove. Maybe we have to step up the cleaning schedule? Or is all of this due to something else? Weather should be good tomorrow for his work and lil one's daycare for me open up the stove and call the manufacturer.

Can a "marginally" dirty stove cause a pellet over feed and ash pan fire on high speeds? Then again, it happened with very clean stove the first time in November on almost high speed... Again this time on almost high speed. They suggested to him to clean all the holes in the burn pot last week. Though all the holes were clearly open (posted dirty pic earlier before he cleaned the holes) he cleaned the holes anyway just incase.

And I will locate the SE44144 tomorrow and take pics.

We are very fortunate I am here all the time to keep an eye on it (and nose on it, it smells different when it over heats too) unlike most working folks (I was one of you working for many years....). I never questioned burning woodstoves, how interesting that we have problems with pellets. I am not throwing in the towel, they are much easier for me to fuel than woodstoves and we invested alot of money in it. Hoping to refine what we have to have my big-bad-heating machine without scares.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    ivanhoe likes this.
  17. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

It isn't a pellet overfeed it is a lack of combustion air and it really doesn't take much in the way of crud in the works to make a mess of it. The black crap is because of it as well.

Keep it and the venting clean, the gaskets in good shape and it will keep you warm without the drama of fires in the ash pan or worse.

A ton of premium pellets can produce anywhere from 4 to 20 pounds of ash. It has to go somewhere, just where it ends up determines if it causes a problem.

In the ash pan no problem, out the end of the vent no problem, anywhere else and once the level gets so deep big problems. Most stoves have passages that are much smaller than the vent system has and some of the ash can get into the air intake side via the burn pot.

18. PoolguyinCT

PoolguyinCT

Clean my dinner...

wildwest likes this.
  19. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

I mean : :heidi:

PoolguyinCT likes this.