In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Hoarding Firewood

Album created by Shawn Curry, Sep 25, 2014.

IMG_1466.JPG Previous
The log pile keeps growing...
Upstatewoodcutter likes this.

Comments

1. Upstatewoodcutter
    Upstatewoodcutter
    Some nice logs yah got there, what kind of wood?
  2. Shawn Curry
    Shawn Curry
    A lot of black cherry in this pic - the two with smoother bark and chainsaw slits are red maple. The ginormous log in the bottom of the frame is green ash.
  3. Upstatewoodcutter
    Upstatewoodcutter
    Good btu's there, now I know what to look for in the woods as far as cherry goes, haven't come across any yet.:D
  4. Shawn Curry
    Shawn Curry
    A lot of people think the bark looks like "burnt cornflakes". Makes good smoking wood too.
  5. Upstatewoodcutter
    Upstatewoodcutter
    Saw a few of those trees in the woods, thought they might be some kind of black birch because of their bark but now maybe chop the dying ones down anyway. Black birch is good wood but I heard of them being prone to barber chairing.
  6. Shawn Curry
    Shawn Curry
    The bark is very similar, but BB stays smoother and doesn't get the "flakes". A lot of times, if you see a BB standing dead, it's already rotting and you can feel it getting spongy under the bark. Black cherry actually holds up pretty good.
  7. Upstatewoodcutter
    Upstatewoodcutter
    What I'm looking at is probably a cherry tree. It's solid but holds the signs of being dead, loose branches fall already pretty dry, and the tree shows no signs of leaf dropping since fall.