In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yugo M72 AK Rifle *WARNING* PICTURE HEAVY

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Woodpusherpro, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Nice work. As someone that works with metal for a living, that's no easy task to weld these two pieces together and not lose your bore alignment between the two as the welds cool down. What kind of milling machine and lathe are you working with?

Woodpusherpro likes this.
  2. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

I don't know the brands of the machines. The lathe is relatively old, I believe the 1950s and the vertical mill I haven't a clue.

They are both at my buddies shop. He is an auto mechanic and he builds aks for a living. Any questions I had he could answer.

I milled these manually and I believe I pressed them on the barrel to tack weld them. The journals that these pressed on had different diameters. He had never tried something like this and neither had I. It ended up working well.

Thank you, but I am sure you could have done a better job as a professional, but I am satisfied with my achievement.

Horkn and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  3. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

I get it, for sure. I stepped in and have several stamps for sbrs and silencers.

Our president is trying to ban almost all semiautomatic firearms that are capable of holding a 10+ round magazine and they have really been focusing on pistols with braces as well.

It's ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that they can unconstitutionally attempt to revoke our rights.

billb3 and Horkn like this.
  4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what you did, and I hope I didn't come across as being overly-critical :handshake: True, I could've modeled something up in my CAM software and CNC milled an entirely new piece from solid, but what you did took a lot of ingenuity, hard work, and most importantly, it functions. For what you lack in machining experience, you more than made up for with resourcefulness. I'm no gunsmith myself, although I may or may not have tinkered around at some point :whistle:

Horkn and Woodpusherpro like this.
  5. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

You didn't come off any sorta way.

I wish I would have gotten into the game when surplus was cheaper... Just like everybody else says. I love the stuff that's beat to hell and hidden in a corner more than the stuff you're scared to scuff or bump.

Horkn and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  6. Horkn

Horkn

It's too bad I lost all of mine in boating accidents. :whistle:

7. Woodpusherpro

Woodpusherpro

I know that's right.