In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Yet another tree ID

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by ole, Mar 23, 2018.

  1. ole

    ole

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,152
    Likes Received:
    18,443
    Location:
    Rock County Wisconsin
    Is this old beacon a white oak?

    IMG_0478.jpg

    IMG_0479.jpg

    I call it a beacon because it is in a corner where three property lines meet. And is visible from my house.
    My mother in law's line fence goes right through the tree but the bulk of the tree is on the neighbors (right hand) side.
    I asked the neighbor a couple years ago if we could cut in up on halves and his wife said "NO". But I left on good terms.
    I don't think it will make a saw log because of the wire. The ground around it is covered with red, white, bur, and black oak leaves.

    IMG_0480.jpg

    My wife and I reached our arms around it at approx breast height and our hands just barely touched.
    The old boy is a survivor,,,
     
  2. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,434
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Looks like white oak to me.

    Only a few more weeks and you'll know for sure when the leaves come out.
     
    Backwoods Savage and Eric VW like this.
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,554
    Location:
    US
    I’d guess the leaves will still come out for a few more years, at least. Not a lot of dead evident in the full tree pic.
    Are you trying to get an ID for firewood reasons ole?
     
    Backwoods Savage and Horkn like this.
  4. NH mountain man

    NH mountain man

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2015
    Messages:
    6,408
    Likes Received:
    37,833
    Location:
    WMNF N.H.
    I don't think it is, It just don't look right to me. We shall see.
     
  5. ole

    ole

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2015
    Messages:
    2,152
    Likes Received:
    18,443
    Location:
    Rock County Wisconsin
    yes
    I would like to cut it up 50/50 with neighbor for firewood if he can get his wife to sign off
    this neighbor burns wood to heat his house and detached shop
     
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,554
    Location:
    US
    Ah, splendid.
    :thumbs:
    :woodsign:
     
  7. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,434
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin

    Yeah, maybe?

    He's from SE Wisconsin. Around here I see a lot of sugar maple "sentinels" used to mark lot corners.
     
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,153
    Location:
    Central MI
    That is a dandy tree and would be a shame to cut it. Looks like white oak to me.
     
    Aje1967, NH mountain man and Horkn like this.