In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work with a view

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jrider, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Well, we're dealing with some of the same types that are..er...discussed in other threads. Just on the little piece of ground I work with, fire has without a doubt changed over the 20+ years I've been there. And on that piece, we are able to manipulate veg for stand health and, if needed, to mitigate fire. We are lucky that we don't have the crazy regs and bs that some of the other fed agencies have to deal with, especially out west.

Fire will continue to change, and not in the direction that people would consider to be the "better" direction. Sure certain years and seasons will be impacted by "better" weather, but the curve is already set for fire to continue its path. It will take a major policy and mindset change, with years and years of major work behind that, to even possibly have a chance of moving that trend line towards a better path.

Cash Larue, Ohio, JPDavis and 2 others like this.
  2. Timberdog

Timberdog

All our fires this year have been due to human idiots/carelessness/arson and have absolutely nothing to do with so called “global warming”.

3. Eckie

Eckie

Lots of fires start that way. Usually things just don't spontaneously combust. Fire conditions and behavior has changed due to "climate change".

4. Timberdog

Timberdog

Around here, the environazis prevented lumber harvesting so the forests have grown thicker and more dense than ever in our history. This makes the forests denser than the rain load can support and the trees become stressed and more easily susceptible to bark beetle attacks. This in turn results in dry trees and a far heavier fuel load. If thinning had been allowed for all those previous years there wouldn’t be such a threat. But then they couldn’t deflect it to some false narrative about man and the climate.

5. Eckie

Eckie

Yep, that is true. But fire where I do it has changed. The fuels are pretty much the same as a comparable burn or fire 15-20 years ago.

Cash Larue, JPDavis and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Dok440

Dok440

Its the same here. I keep my property mowed and brushed. We removed a dozen trees when we bought the place that were too close to the house. Some neighbors let the brush take over their property and I don't understand it. No stopping a fire in tight 20' tall brush!
    Brad

Timberdog, Cash Larue and Eckie like this.