In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by trapper brad, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Softwood

Softwood

That's a good option/product then!

That's what I thought when I first looked at your pic.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Did you ever do any low slope? What product(s) did you use?

Screwloose likes this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Rain again yesterday. Got the ceiling framed. (Its not being finished inside) :confused: IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5493.JPG
    Soffit and more siding details done. IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5496.JPG Installed a cat door (first for me) Its controlled by the chip implanted in the cat. I guess it unlocks when cat gets close? IMG_5495.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

John D, JD Guy, Buttermilk and 7 others like this.
  4. Softwood

Softwood

Right or wrong if it was a little under a 4/12 we'd ice and water the whole roof and then shingle over the top (never got called back for any leaks that I knew of). Otherwise we did a lot of EPMD. Those were always fun on the hot, full sun days...

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive never installed any EPDM. Kind of a separate trade in itself.
    I HATE ice & water shield. (I'm gonna get very opinionated here) IMO I don't think it should be depended on to keep water out. In severe ice and snow country yes. I've torn off lower slope roofs that had it under shingles. The nails all rusted and were these little rusty "toothpicks" sticking up that impaled your knuckles if you weren't careful. Don't get me wrong it has its place in the industry, but its GROSSLY over used and depended on. The mfr's have forced codes to be changed and of course we have to abide.

Good workmanship keeps the rain out, not an accessory. Years back I've torn off old roofs that were installed right over the bare wood and no issues. Would I do that, no, at least a layer of paper or synthetic felt.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  6. Softwood

Softwood

Yeah nothing worse than tearing off old shingles that are “baked” into the ice and water! Some jobs that were bad we’d just pull the sheeting right off where the ice and water was and put new sheets down.. it definitely has its place in our region though.

My favorite part of my roofing days was doing the old farm houses and getting to tear off and resheet the ones with 3 layers (or more) of asphalt shingles nailed over a layer of cedar shakes! Good times.. especially when it’s 90 out and all that old dust (and bat chit) sticks right to ya! :hair:

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Did a few of the old homes here with multiple layers. My favorite too, That dust is nasty stuff. Did a couple in the very hot weather and vowed never to do one in the heat again. Gotta have long sleeves for me. Last two I did were only a layer of cedar. Most have been torn and redone.

Helped my brother do an old barn and the loft was inches deep in bat chit. Scared out many bats there too. They say I scream like a girl! :emb:

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    that's a nice size crab. I hope everyone enjoyed it.

9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Mom had a cat door like that and the cat wore a magnetic on a collar that activated the door. The door got taken out when too many dead presents were brought in the house by the cat.

10. Husky Man

Husky Man

That was a Large Dungeness, I believe that it measured 8.5” across the back. In Oregon, our minimum keeper size is 5.75” across the back, we can only keep Males, and have a 12 crab per person, per day limit.

Not everyone got a taste of that one, but no one went hungry, we would have had 3 or four people on the boat, and we usually come pretty close to catching our limit on crab on the Nehalem, so we would have brought in 30-40 crab, not to bad for 3-4 hours of Fun on the boat.

My Favorite Deckhand, is only 5’2”, and was only a couple spoons of sugar over 100#, she still wants her turn hauling pots, and does pretty well until they break the surface, then it’s a Challenge for her getting the pots over the gunnel, especially if the pot is packed.

She probably won’t be pulling any pots for awhile, She got Married last August, and is expecting a little Boy in October.
    IMG_8049.jpeg
    IMG_8047.jpeg
    IMG_0564.jpeg
    Ya’all, better get a good laugh, and save a copy of these pics, I made a couple exceptions that day, catching me in a Tux is a Rare occurrence, and normally, if I’m Drunk enough to Dance, I’m too Drunk to stand up and seeing that I don’t drink much, or often, me Dancing is another Rare occurrence

That last pic is My Mom and I

Doug :cheers:

John D, eatonpcat, Screwloose and 5 others like this.
  11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Slider in and some siding done. Reusing the old aluminum siding I removed so it matches the existing house. (hope I have enough) Never have worked with stuff like it so its slow going, plus all the detail cuts are time consuming. IMG_5502.JPG IMG_5503.JPG IMG_5504.JPG
    Their pooch "Prim" was confused as she couldn't run out IMG_5507.JPG

John D, JD Guy, eatonpcat and 8 others like this.
  12. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Beautiful family and daughter.

13. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Almost looks professional Brad:cool:

14. Husky Man

Husky Man

:beerbbq:
    Thank You,
    Technically, she is my stepDaughter, her Mother and I got married a couple months before her 12th Birthday, but I have been more of a Father to her than her Biological Father, and in my Heart she is 100% my Daughter, and she has made it clear that she feels the same way

She has three older brothers, who I would be Proud to call my own as well, they’re all Great Kids, and give me some Hope for our Country’s Future, they are all Hard working, Responsible people with Good Values. A lot of young people these days, give us reason to worry about the future, but my Family inspires a lot of Confidence in me.

JD Guy, eatonpcat, Screwloose and 4 others like this.
  15. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Almost looks professional Brad
    That's the way a father should feel. Good on you

16. Husky Man

Husky Man

That's the way a father should feel. Good on you[/QUOTE]

When we got married, I had people saying, she has “FOUR KIDS, are you ready for That?”, little did I know, the Kids would be the EASY Part;)

I Hope this works, I’m a Dinosaur, and not very good at this, This is the song that Emmy chose for the stepDaughter/stepFather Dance at her wedding, it’s Brandon Davis, Step by Step, the Daughter version. As we started dancing, she told me to listen to the words. I’m hard of hearing, and my attention was focused on her, so I didn’t really hear the words very well, until we got home, and my Wife played the video for me, then it really hit me, what that song meant to her, and what it was going to cost her. Her biological father made “Her Day” more about him, than Her, and that song upset him so much, that He and his current wife, LEFT , before the song was over.

It was, HER Day, and I did everything thing I could to make it so, and a Lot of people noticed, and commented later. I just did what I thought was right.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

LOL!!! I've used the same line. A few years back I sided the garage for his father not having much experience with vinyl siding. My contractor friend recommended me to which I told him I don't do vinyl.
    As I was finishing up the homeowner and I were admiring the work (I'm VERY critical of my own work) and I exclaimed "it looks like a professional job" to which he turned to me and said "Well Brad, aren't you a professional?"

Its the same garage seen in lots of my pics here. I often look at it to admire, thinking of that comment.

John D, eatonpcat, Screwloose and 4 others like this.
  18. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Well done BRAD. I knew you could do it.

Makes me seriously consider doing my garage.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thanks my friend! :handshake:

Youre talking about the addition off the back for wood storage and MORE OPE equipment? :D

If you milled it, I could build it!

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Nobody truly "bumper pulls" anything anymore. One look at what makes up a modern "bumper" and it self-explanatory....

John D, JD Guy, Screwloose and 5 others like this.