In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by trapper brad, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Husky Man

Husky Man

Yeah, a lot of driving schools don’t even teach manual transmission anymore, and if you take your behind the wheel driving test for your CDL in with an automatic, you’ll get an “Automatic Transmission ONLY “ restriction on your License.

August 9th, will be 36 years that I have been driving tractor trailer, automatics were around, but certainly not very common back then :thumbs:.

Being Flex Team, I drive a lot of different trucks, from 26’ Box trucks to 35/27’ doubles, triples are legal here in Oregon, ID, UT and I believe MT, and NV. I also go into Californicated, but triples aren’t legal there, and I don’t know of any of our accounts that run triples.

Fortunately, she keeps me in the same tractor every week, it’s a real pain taking everything out of the truck every Friday, just to put it back in, Tuesday morning, I’m on a 4 day, Tuesday-Friday schedule, which is Nice, I get 8 hours of pay for Monday, because they only use me 4 days, and I’m guaranteed 5 days pay. With the pay for Monday, plus my travel time, which I get 5 hours and 228 POV miles, I usually get 60-62 hours of pay in four days, with Sat, Sun,Mon Off, not the highest grossing account I have worked, but the Best Work/Home/Pay Balance that I have worked, so I’m in No Hurry to change accounts, and the account manager is very happy with the work I have been doing for them, so I should be here for awhile, Hopefully at least through the summer

I got off relatively easy last winter, but my first run of the week goes up through the ID panhandle, and back around through Montana, it can be pretty brutal road conditions, but after 36 years, nothing I can’t handle, but not what I look forward to, a guy has to take the good with the bad, and overall it’s a really good route and schedule

Doug :cheers:

2. Softwood

Softwood

Sounds like a heck of a gig! Hopefully you can stay on that for good.

3. Husky Man

Husky Man

I have thought about “Dedicating” to this account, I know that Kim would love to have me permanently on her team, but I would lose too much. As a Flex Driver I get paid travel time and personal vehicle mileage for commuting to and from assignments, minus the first 30 minutes/35 miles, that amounts to 228 miles/5 hours a week, I would also lose the guaranteed pay for Monday as well, so I am just Enjoying it while I can, but I did mentally “Run the Numbers” but it just doesn’t pencil out to dedicate to this account, though I would like to find a dedicated account with more permanent predictability, but that unpredictability is a big part of the reason why there is a pay premium for working on the Flex Team. Fortunately I have several accounts that ask for me by Name, and hold onto me as long as they can, so I don’t bounce from account to account as much as some drivers do, but some prefer the variety, myself I’m a creature of habit, and Like predictability.

I was a company driver for my previous employer, worked out of a Foam plant in Portland, OR for 14 years, I was Hoping it was going to be my “Retirement Job”, then the company sold the plant to another company that uses my company for their transportation needs, they recruited me and another driver to stay on dedicated to my old plant, Marc moved on to owning his own Dump Truck eventually, and then ostensibly because of Covid, that was the “EXCUSE “ but not the Real Reason, they closed the plant, there weren’t any accounts that I wanted to dedicate to, so I “Pooled Up”, and then when the company formed the National Flex Team, they stole me from my former manager, essentially the same thing, but on a larger scale, I stayed with it, overall the Flex Team has been more beneficial for me, compared to the local pool under my old manager, I wouldn’t be on this account, if I were still there, each have their advantages, Flex Team is a better fit for me.

I just saw one of the assistant managers from my old pool team a couple months ago, and was told that they can make room for me, if I ever want to come back, unfortunately it was at a CoWorker’s Son’s Celebration of Life, Lizzy’s Son sadly OD’d on Fentanyl :( She worked for the company that bought the foam plant that I used to work for, we became Good Friends, and even though we aren’t on the same account anymore, we still keep in touch at least weekly. My Wife refers to Lizzy as my “Work Wife”, she is almost like a Sister to me, my Wife was a little insecure about it at first, but got to know her, and finally accepted that she is No Threat to our relationship, she is like a Sister, and I don’t want a relationship with Lizzy any more “Intimate” than that, but she is a Wonderful person, that is a real Hoot to work with, and I am Honored to count her as a Good Friend

4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im with you about working on them or any gas engine. Not my thing.

It amazes me how you truck drivers can back into tight spots with ease. I've watched and kinda marvel at it. I've tried backing up with just a small trailer and well lets just say it's not a pretty sight.:emb:

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  5. Husky Man

Husky Man

Yeah, I just don’t have the mechanical inclination to work on machinery

Backing trailers isn’t as hard as many people make it out to be, the biggest mistake many make is over-steering when backing, it doesn’t take much steering input, and once turning, it will continue to tighten, without counter steering, just holding the wheel with a bit of turn Won’t continue a constant radius turn.

A SMALL trailer is what makes it so hard for you, a typical 4x8 utility trailer is a n absolute nightmare to back up, especially if it is narrower than the tow vehicle, it is already turning before you can even see it, to correct it. The longer the trailer, the better the backing manners it usually has, assuming you have adequate room to maneuver. The longer the trailer, the slower it reacts to steering input, and the easier it is to back up straight.

My first tractor trailer job, was for a food service company, delivering to restaurants with a 48’ trailer behind a 3 axle daycab . 10-12 places a day that a truck was never meant to be, ya learn FAST.

We delivered to Burger King, Burgerville, Wendy’s, Arby’s and Arctic Circle, the older restaurants weren’t too bad, usually fairly large, open parking lots with an occasional light pole in an awkward place, then they started putting parking curbs in, after they figured out that many of the trucks would just run them over, they started putting flowers and trees in them, then someone got the really Evil Idea of single driveway parking lots, that got really interesting, used to be you came in one driveway, and left out the other, then you had to spin the truck in the lot, and had all those dayum curbs and flowers and trees, yeah it was real purty, we all go to burger joints for the SCENERY:rolleyes:, add in a few customers cars, just for fun, nah I don’t miss those days. But it was a Good Family owned company that treated us well, paid us well, and they trained me tractor trailer, on the job, so I got paid to Learn, rather than paying for driving school :D , so it was a Great way to get into the industry, I spent 14 years with them, it was a shame that after 12 years, they sold the company, the owners kids just weren’t cut out to take over the company, and the last 2 years under corporate ownership, it just wasn’t the same place, which was really sad

Screwloose, Buttermilk, 0rion and 4 others like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Roof almost done. Windows in. Started some siding details. Bronchitis had me miss Friday last week plus a couple wet days didn't help either. IMG_5484.JPG IMG_5485.JPG IMG_5488.JPG IMG_5489.JPG IMG_5487.JPG

7. John D

John D

That’s how it’s done
    Looking real good

8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
  9. 0rion

0rion

We have a 40' fifth wheel that I haul all over. I'm pretty decent at backing it in and have towed fifth wheels for ~15 years. The ones I hate are the blind side back in. I use the mirrors pretty good but if I'm going to mess up a back in it's on that side. Not much bothers me more than having to give up and start all over. Haha

10. Husky Man

Husky Man

Hey don’t feel bad about dreading Blind side backing, even us experienced professionals will try our best to set ourselves up for a left hand backing whenever we can.

At least you’re pulling a 5th wheel, they’re much more maneuverable than a Ball Coupled trailer ( Doing it for a living, “Bumper Pull”, is a pet peeve of mine) Fiver’s have got much better maneuverability, you can cut them past 90*, I met my Sister’s Family out on the road, when they were on a camping trip, I had some room, and told her “Watch the Tires”, I had the trailer at about 105*, pulling forward, and the trailer tires were rolling Backwards, because of the sharp turn angle. You can spin a Fiver around in not much more space than it’s own length, and with part of the trailer overlapping the truck, it reduces your overall length. Fifth Wheels also ride much better, with the coupling a little ahead of the tow vehicle axle, you shouldn’t get any sway, unless there is something very wrong with the trailer or truck.

I won’t even start on how much easier it is to couple up a Fifth Wheel, compared to a Ball Coupled.

Watching some people back a trailer can be Entertaining, probably one of the all time Best Values in Entertainment is a Full Cooler, a Lawn Chair and a Public Boat Ramp on a Hot Day, Extra Points for it being a Holiday Weekend ;)

11. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

So True!!

12. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

So very, very true! Seen a few fist fights at boat launches!:eek:

13. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

Roller came in for hood hinge repair, ac leak and exhaust work. After my inspection it also needs a $4000 turbo! The mini ex is getting new rollers and idlers. My helper is doing the mini. I guess after me firing him and the owner feeling bad and retiring him he decided to try harder. Been doing real good last few weeks. 20240523_152701.jpg 20240523_152713.jpg

14. John D

John D

Hopefully for you your worker learned a lesson

15. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Sometimes, otherwise good people just need a swift kick in the caboose to wake them up to reality! Hope this is the case for your helper.:bug:(we need a "kick in the fanny" emoji!

John D, Screwloose, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  16. Buttermilk

Buttermilk

He's really a good kid. 30 years old, going to do do what he wants and as fast or slow as he wants. Doesn't understand his job is to do what the boss says. I've learned 18 to about 24 year old boys are are more mature and willing to work than most 26 to 35. He has seen the writing on the wall. I told him that I would help and show him anything as long as he's willing to work with me and wants to learn. If not just show up when you want and do whatever, I'll leave the repercussions to the owner just stay out of my way. So far he's listening and learning a whole lot better.

John D, Screwloose, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

No. Peel and stick, self adhering. I never liked the idea of flame on a wood roof deck.

18. Softwood

Softwood

What's the 'life expectancy' of the peel and stick roofing? It wasn't a thing when I did roofing/siding? Is it better than rolled roofing?

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Id say well over 30 years. I first used it in the early 2000's. Its more or less a thick ice and water shield with granules just like shingles. This particular roof was a stick down base sheet (plastic faced) with a stick down cap sheet so two plies. Most of the time I install it directly over synthetic felt. My only gripe is it can loose granules early leaving an ugly roof even though the material still has many years of life left. Prior to stick down i installed it with cold adhesive rather than torching. It's like a sheet of rubber. Really tough stuff.

I wish they still made a good quality roll roofing. We used to use it for open valleys rather than woven or closed cut valleys.

20. Husky Man

Husky Man

oh yeah, Chinook Landing, on the Columbia River near Troutdale, OR, where we launch a lot, is a 6 ramp facility, with 2 approach lanes. There are signs leading to the ramps stating “USE BOTH LANES “ but inevitably, people can’t READ, and the Right lane gets really long, then when someone who is Literate comes along and uses the Left lane, as the clearly posted signs instruct, passing a line of people in the Right lane, all too often it ends up with a bunch of arguing, and unfortunately sometimes fist fights, seen it all too often

Then you have the jack wagons that can’t uncover their boat, insert the plug( they generally don’t appreciate me suggesting WHERE, they Insert said plug) nope can’t remove the stern tie downs or load the coolers into the boat, Until they are ON the ramp :mad:

The 6 lanes consist of the outer lanes are singles, with two Double lanes in the middle, and they are generous double lanes, that I could probably launch three at a time on, but again, Nope, the typical weekend warrior boater, can’t manage to stay in one side of a double ramp

IMG_0815.jpeg
    This is the boat that I grew up with “Plum Crazy” is a 1968 Stevens Flat Bottom, with a Corvette spec’d 327, turning a prop through a V Drive.

We drove from Portland, OR to Gardena, CA two weeks before my third birthday, and picked her up at the factory.

On Father’s Day 2020, my Mom walked up to me said “Happy Father’s Day” and handed me a plain white envelope, inside was the Titles for Plum and her Trailer
    :eek:o_O:thumbs:

IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    This is our other boat, I grew up on the Columbia River, it and boats have always been Special and Important parts of my Life. We didn’t have a boat when we got married, my Wife was an active Pampered Chef Cookware rep, and I just figured what she earned was hers to do with as she pleased, never asked about it. One day she came up to me and said “I Know You Miss having a boat, let’s go buy one “ :jaw::yes:. It was almost 30 years old, but had always been stored inside, well maintained and in excellent shape, I’m thinking that the Wife is a Keeper

IMG_0128.jpeg
    Heading out onto the Nehalem River and Bay for some fishing and crabbing

IMG_0497.jpeg
    My “Favorite Deckhand “( my stepDaughter) with a Nice Dungeness Crab

IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    A couple nice Chinook Salmon, also caught on the Nehalem