In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Work Done in 2021

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Dec 31, 2020.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

This Beech had some rot setting in so I felled it today and brought out two loads.

Attached Files:

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I brought home another three loads of Beech, the first load I bucked up is what was left in picture 1830 and then added some limb wood (not pictured) the second load was from a rotting Beech in pictures 1833 - 1835 and the last load was a dead Beech in pictures 1837 - 1842.

Attached Files:

Stinny, EODMSgt, Haftacut and 2 others like this.
  3. Haftacut

Haftacut

I’ll take any excuse I can to cut beech! Looks like some awesome stuff you got into:yes:

4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I drove by them enough even though I knew they were topped off or rotting at the base, hopefully we get two face cord or more out of the Beech.

We still have more Beech that should be taken down but I started felling the damaged Maple not far from where I felled the Beech. I'll fell more damaged Maple this week and haul them out and then the splitting and stacking start.

I did get another two loads of Maple rounds out today with a partial third load of limb wood I cut because of it being across a main trail.

I'll get some pictures up later.

5. Haftacut

Haftacut

Sounds like fun! Us hoarders are always thinking ahead, aren’t we. First, I’ll cut the tree that fell, then I’ll get around to the damaged maple, then finally, I’ll get the dead standing beech...that is unless I have another faller in there somewhere.:rofl: :lol: Never much rest and never a dull moment. Nice work thewoodlands :yes:

Chazsbetterhalf and thewoodlands like this.
  6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks Haftacut , usually we get more damaged trees from the winter season but I didn't see much so I actually had to fell some firewood for a change.

This fall I want more Ash on the ground since I didn't get what I wanted this spring.

7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I took two damaged Maples, the first was rotting from the top down and the second from the base up. I hauled two loads of rounds and the third was some limb wood from one of the trees.

Attached Files:

8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I think that I'll fell the Beech on the other side of the trailer, the base is starting to rot. I'll also get another load of Maple and get a Cherry Burl along with a nice bag of leeks for a neighbor.

Picture 1824b is a cropped image of 1824. 104_1824b.JPG

Attached Files:

EODMSgt and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Two more trailer loads of Maple came out today.

In picture 1861 you can see the two topped off Maple, 1862 is just a picture, 1863 is the first Maple down, 1864 is the Maple heading to a ridge, 1867 is the second Maple, 1868 is the Maple heading home, and 1869 is heading up to the ridge out of the woods.

Attached Files:

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The Beech in my above post 168 is rotting at the base and hollow six feet up so I left it. It's not in an area we take the Rhino so we'll let mother nature take it down.

I've been using our ROW to enter our property and haul the rounds out, today I stopped and offered the lady who owns the house our ROW goes by a free face cord of two or three year old Ash for putting up with the daily disruptions, she accepted my offer and we talked for a few hours.

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did some stuff outside today for the wife so the splitting and stacking will start on Monday, tomorrow I'll be doing a few more things for the wife and then it's back to firewood related stuff.

I did get Karl out, I'll start running the Kubota when I'm splitting and stacking. I haven't used it much since winter except for running it around the trails around the house a few times each week.

The Mayor of Yooperville ( yooperdave ) said it was safe to take the snowplow off the tractor so I did that.

12. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

While I wish we would have weather cold enough for snow, I think we're done for the year.

I'm trying to remember what brand trailer you're using. I had looked it up before when I was in the market, as it appears to have held up well even with all the loads you haul out of the woods. I did some bubblegum and band-aid fixes to my old Agri-Fab trailer and hope to get at least one more year out of it. Most likely I will be looking for a new trailer to tow behind the ATV by next season.

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

If my memory is correct, this company is out of Canada.
    https://www.rescraft.com/product-page/bush-burro#:~:text=The Bush Burro is the Ultimate Off Road,the best choice for your ATV/Snowmobile off-road needs.

It's been a great trailer for us, a local shop had ordered some for the ice fishing crowd years back and had a few left so I ended up with one.

I've only called the company once and a person answered the phone right off the bat, you didn't have to wait at all.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

It looks like the next time I send snow your way, it'll be this fall! :handshake:

As for now, just enjoy the bugs! :rofl: :lol:

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I was coming back from Syracuse NY later this afternoon and the truck windshield is covered with dead bugs.

Chazsbetterhalf and yooperdave like this.
  16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's been about 10 days since I brought out my last load of Maple, it has been busy around the house this week with a new roof going on so I stayed out of the way.

Tomorrow I'll start splitting and stacking the Beech I hauled out, I think the stacking area will need to be cleaned up some so I'll do that first thing in the morning.

I'll use the RTV since it has a/c and the 20 ton splitter with the newer Honda motor on it, it should split the Beech with ease.

The two pictures (one pile) 104_1871.JPG are of the Beech I'll be splitting.

Attached Files:

17. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

That's a great pile of BTUs! I know there are a lot of black locust fans on this site but beech is hands down my favorite.

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It looks like starting on the splitting and stacking will wait a few more hours, I woke up and the right hamstring was real tight. I've had heat on it which has helped and finally we're getting some rain.

19. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

That sucks, hope you feel better soon. This last week's weather just sucked the motivation right out me (80+ degree weather with humidity). Not looking forward to summer.

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's feeling better and the rain stopped so I'm going to head out and do some s & s. Yesterday we didn't have any bugs and the wife said after her walk that they weren't out today either.

I have no choice but to work through whatever weather we get, if it's real hot out, I'll only work x amount of time per day.