In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

woodstock returned stoves?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by snaple4, Feb 27, 2020.

1. snaple4

snaple4

Woodstock has an amazing return/exchange policy that I hear is actually used from time to time. Any idea what they do with those stove? Do they clean them up and send them back out, have a discount store, give them away...? I have been looking for a used BK or WS but they are not really common in this area of the US. Heck, even the BK dealers here you have to push to even admit they sell them.

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover

Yeah, I think you can get on the list to get a Woodstock refurb. I'd imagine it's a long wait, though..

3. BHoller

BHoller

They will not be able to do that with old stoves after the 2020 cut off. Which is ashame it was a good program. I am all for keeping progress moving but I wish there was a way to keep things like that going. But I am sure there would be companies taking advantage of it

4. snaple4

snaple4

Do the 2020 regs forbid the resale of used stoves? I would think those are excluded. If all else fails they could just setup a separate company that only deals with used products. I have a hard time imagining pawn shops or antique stores not being allowed to sell a stove.

5. BHoller

BHoller

Stove dealers can no longer sell pre 2020 stoves. They could probably still refurbish them but not buy them back refurbish them and resell them. I don't nessecarily agree with that part of the rule but I do understand why they did it.

6. tim117

tim117

Look on Craigslist and FB marketplace around the Lebanon NH Woodstock VT area.

7. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Even if the stoves meet the 2020 standards and/or are refurbished and upgraded to meet the standards?

8. BHoller

BHoller

If they are tested and certified to 2020 standards that is no problem. I don't know if they could upgrade them to the new model and issue a new serial number and I'd tag or not. That may be possible I just don't know.

9. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I'm pretty sure that most of their stoves were able to meet the 2020 standards without any modifications.

10. BHoller

BHoller

With the old test method yes. But they needed to do a few tweaks to meet standards under the new methods. And it doesn't matter unless the stove was tested to the new standards with the new procedures no dealers or manufacturers can sell it.

11. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I read that too.

12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, Woodstock has an amazing return/exchange policy and occasionally it is used, but very rare. That policy had a big effect when we purchased as I was not sure the stove would work for us. It did. I do know of 2 people who have used it but only because they decided they needed a larger stove so just sent the smaller one in and bought the larger one.

In this case, yes, the factory will really go over the stove and when they are done you can not tell the difference between a used and a new stove.

For customers who wish their stove to be refurbished, they will do that but of course they could not sell it as it goes back to the people who sent it in. For those folks, they are really super happy because indeed, it is like buying a whole new stove but a large savings of dollars.

At present, Woodstock does not have any refurbished stoves in stock. The best advise is to call from time to time but they just have not been getting stoves back, and that is good as it speaks well for the company.

FatBoy85, Stephiedoll, Maina and 6 others like this.
  13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Looks like only 2 models are 2020 certified so far...
    upload_2020-2-28_11-6-54.png

14. fox9988

fox9988

I bought my Keystone refurbished. It looked new inside and out, couldn’t tell there had been a fire in it. And it was 4? (I forget the date on manufacture) years old. It was a trade in from someone needing a larger stove.

15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I think there is only 1 yet to certify.

16. Chaz

Chaz

Seems weird that the Navajo passes, but the IS doesn't.
    :loco: :crazy:

Same emissions, but the IS has better efficiency rating.
    :whistle:

Wonder what the difference is between cord wood and crib wood

17. Warner

Warner

18. Highbeam

Highbeam

Being 2020 certified is not accomplished using old test results because those old test used a different method. Manufacturers have to recertify with the new test. Sometimes, the same stove will test much cleaner with 2020 testing and sometimes the stove needs tweaks to pass even when their pre 2020 testing results were good enough. Testing is expensive, labs are busy, and there is an element of luck involved driven by how the wood crumbles.

So it’s bogus for a company to post pre 2020 test results and claim that “we’ve already passed” because of that old test result.

Im sure Woodstock stoves will all pass eventually. That company has always been a proponent of low emissions and high efficiency.

19. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I think its just a matter of the IS not being tested yet.

20. Chaz

Chaz

Awesome, thanks Warner
    :)

I agree that cord wood should be the standard.
    :yes:

After all, that's what most all of us use.

But then again, my cord wood is drier than some of the "crib wood" sold at "The Depot"
    :rofl: :lol:

:whistle: