In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock made it rock again!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 8, 2020.

1. BHoller

BHoller

But but but they said it was different. And it is going to last for 20 years because it's bigger

brenndatomu likes this.
  2. BKVP

BKVP

See you next week...KOP. Anyone in KOP area, 20th @ 7:00 pm, Radisson lobby has great bar, I'm buying...lots of good wood chow to discuss.

3. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Oh my, what hubris ! I once did the COMDEX shows for my company for years. Did I learn how to program or hack by walking the booths ?
    I once went to a toy show, but couldn't build a LEGO house.
    All kinds of what stove "failures" ? Specifics ? Brands and models. What "new stoves" ? Or just smoke ? :smoke:
    Just some real world facts mam. This is a forum for info and sharing. :hair:
    One real industry insider shares his expertise here that assist us whether or not we buy or use his products without any boasting.
    End of story.

4. Hoytman

Hoytman

I was hoping to hear from the rep in answer to my temp questions.

5. BHoller

BHoller

So no comment on the warranty which started your whole rant?

The rest of it I clearly said was my opinion based upon seeing the stove in question and my many years of experience in the field working on all types of stoves.

Buffalo Plaid and brenndatomu like this.
  6. BKVP

BKVP

Sorry, are you asking me?

There are no 100% consistent correlations between surface temp, cat temp and flue temps.

Cat temps generally elevate during the increased residence time of low burn rates. (In our units)

Stack temps usually drop and surface area decrease, except directly above the combustor.

Low stack temps (250F) after responsibly burning off water in fuel load are common. High end stack temps of 500-600 are also common.

Surface temps vary greatly depending upon where you take a reading. 600- 700 directly over cat is possible.

brenndatomu likes this.
  7. Hoytman

Hoytman

I wasn’t looking for any correlation, just wondering what the answers to each were. Appreciate the reply.

wildwest and BKVP like this.
  8. Dumf

Dumf Banned

More TLA's.....what is "KOP". If you're buying, some us may fly out.

Question for non cat primary air control temps for two Jotuls.
    Jotul Oslo never will go much over 550 F ( top thermometer and IR gun readings even at wide open).
    The Jotul Rangely will jump well over 600F plus with a similar air control at wide open.
    Any explanations ?
    The Oslo is +/- 16 years old. The Rangely is on its 2nd winter. Both flues are straight up through ceiling and roof +/- 24'.

9. BHoller

BHoller

Still waiting for an explanation of how I was wrong on all counts. How it their cat different in a way that will make it last 20 years? How is a warranty that only covers manufacturer or material defect useful?

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

My cat is generally in use 5,000 hours a year (read 24/7 7 months) a year. Cats work for 2 years. Ideal steel you can throw a dying cat in while stove is hot to clean primary.

Highbeam likes this.
  11. BKVP

BKVP

KOP is King of Prussia Pennsylvania

Dumf and Canadian border VT like this.
  12. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Too many TLA's .
    Thx BK.

13. Dumf

Dumf Banned

All true.
    So here's what I saw, felt, fondled with the F500 V3 cat: at least 2-3 times the size of most cats. The grids are more open. They "say" it is more efficient and cleaner with a faster "light off" without the damper step.
    Has similare kind of BK and others' thermostatic secondary air.
    Only use over time will tell. It is new. Who knows ? Remember Corning and few other cat manufacturers like Sud Chemie for cats used in many products.
    As for their warranty---" I will love you in the morning". "The check is in the mail." CAVEAT EMPTOR.

14. BHoller

BHoller

So you cant back up your claim that I was wrong on all counts?

Just because it has larger cells doesn't mean it will last longer. Just that it won't clog easily.

15. BKVP

BKVP

And you know where Corning and Sud Chemie purchased the substrates? The same supplier as I mentioned earlier.

Dumf and Farmchuck like this.
  16. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Thx Chris. Who knew ?
    But--cats are cats whether for stoves or cars. The chemistry and noble metal substrate is the same. Unless, platinum and palladium are used in a different technology.
    Only difference seems to be that gas engines light off a cat with high temps right away. And vehicle cats are big bucks compared to small wood stove cats.
    That's why my check engine light will stay on ( 2005 SUV ) since the code is a defective catalyst. It's close to $1000. to replace the beast.
    Informative discussion.

17. BKVP

BKVP

Cats in vehicles have rhodium as well. So the application process of these precious metals is what can be supplier unique. Clariant , formerly Sud Chemie, and Applied Ceramics actually are the two suppliers to the wood stove industry that have proprietary application processes.

Dumf likes this.
  18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Why are you up so early ? Assume it's Walla Walla time.:)

19. Maina

Maina

Check engine light on will fail annual vehicle safety inspection in Maine so a new cat or vehicle may be in your future. Unless you find some scum to put a $50 sticker on that is. Just FYI...

BHoller likes this.
  20. BKVP

BKVP

Yes. Flying across the USA today. Delta likes me.

Canadian border VT and Dumf like this.