In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock made it rock again!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Backwoods Savage, Feb 8, 2020.

1. BHoller

BHoller

Honestly the cat warranty means nothing. They will just replace your first one like everyone else. Which will probably be at most after 5 years

2. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Wrong on all counts. :rolleyes: The Jotul cat is nothing like older cat models. Not only much larger, but the grid is more open. I've seen and handled it.
    Let's see how the Jotul stove operates in the real world. Past cats averaged life was and is ~ 12,000 hours.
    Look at the Jotul specs, their warranty on their new product, and look over the video of the cat and V3 stove.
    No, I don't work for Jotul. We need facts here rather than assumptions.
    And, BTW, I don't want or have interest anymore in cat stoves after decades of serious use of cat technology.
    Just the facts mam.

Backwoods Savage and Screwloose like this.
  3. BKVP

BKVP

Well, I don't work for them so I can't comment on their product or design. I also am not familiar with their new stoves. Sorry the Ashford wassn't going to work for you.....

Backwoods Savage and Screwloose like this.
  4. BKVP

BKVP

Cat warranties are very much non comparable. The cat in our stoves has a 10-year 100% no-fault warranty against thermal degradation. It is assumed that all combustors become less effective over time, depending upon many, many variables. All cats get over plated over years of use. The precious metals don't disappear (unless the 1600F threshold is reach for the wash coat) but have layers and layers of particulates deposited on the surface. That is why when compressed air is used to blow out the fly ash, the cats begin to function better. Then, a more thorough vinegar/distilled water bath can also expose the precious metals to smoke during combustion. Why do you think idiots are stealing cats out of car exhaust systems! The precious metal are reclaimed.

PS If you invest in precious metal i.e. gold and silver, check out palladium and platinum charts!

5. BKVP

BKVP

Read warranties carefully. A warranty that states "against manufacturer defects" won't really help. I have yet, in 28 years to find a combustor that was "defective" when installed in a stove. A plugged cat due to excessive wet fuels is problematic but outside the control of the stove manufacturers. If the warranty does not cover damages incurred due to excess cat temperatures, the #1 cause of cat failures, then we are back where we began in 1984 with Oregon's rule.

6. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Yeah, I spoke with one of your techs at HQ. He said that the Ashford needed at least 6" behind the thermostat for proper operation. Great customer approach !
    No way to even communicate with VC for anything. I have spoken with Jotul HQ people here in Maine.
    You're the only major manufacturer rep to be online for us...thx.:salute:

7. BHoller

BHoller

I am not making assumptions. I am telling you their 20 year warranty means nothing because it is clearly stated it is a warranty covering manufacturing defects. It doesn't cover degredation of any sort. Those are the facts.

Now for my opinion. There really is no reason to expect it to last any longer than other manufacturers cats. Infact because it is not bypassed in startup or when the door is opened I would expect it to degrade faster than most other manufacturers cats.

I really hope their design works out. I have always liked jotuls stoves (other than their last attempt at a cat stove) and I like the simplicity of no bypass. But only time will tell. And their marketing stuff isn't much help.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Backwoods Savage and TurboDiesel like this.
  8. Hoytman

Hoytman

:popcorn:

NVhunter likes this.
  9. NVhunter

NVhunter

Yes! may I join, :popcorn:

TurboDiesel likes this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

What is the operating temp range of BK K stove? Same of the cat?

What is the over-fire temp of the stove? Same of question of the cat?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. BHoller

BHoller

Over fire temp of all steel stoves is pretty much the same. 800 to 900 is overfired. Or any time you see the stove glowing. But really the thermostatic control on bk stoves keeps them from over fireing

12. Highbeam

Highbeam

As for the cat, 1600 is the max. It is much easier to over fire the cat when it is young and fresh even when the stove is quite cool. My cat spends a LOT of time at 1200-1400 when the stove is on low. Cat is happily munching the smoke and is the only significant heat source.

Backwoods Savage and brenndatomu like this.
  13. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Delete your theory and assummed "facts". ( Another T.S. saying : " When you assume, you make an azz out of u and me ".). You got to get out and look, open up to new that just may work. Standing on held assumptions based on no factual basis since you haven't seen or used the product don't hold water. You've spoken with Jotul ?
    I don't give a %$#& about what past warranties have been on past cat models. This cat is nothing like past cats. Or about "defects". Get out, and get an actual look at the product, speak with the manufacturer, with users, with dealer s. Anyone can down something they haven't seen, touched, or investigated FIRST HAND.
    The inconvenient truth is that I would never use a first year technology: car, ordinance, chainsaw, firearm, dishwasher, Snickers Bar. Just trying to open up about Jotul's new tech that I have seen, fondled :eek: , questioned. No opinion pro or con. Try it.

14. BHoller

BHoller

I have seen the product. Yes it is different. But have you bothered to read the warranty you are talking about. That was the only comment I made anything about that you claimed I was wrong about. And when you read that it clearly says it is a warranty for 20 years against manufacturers defect or material defect. That is what they published. I didn't make it up or assume anything about it. I just read it.

You do realize I go to trade shows and expos all the time right? I have seen tons of the new stoves. I work on stoves every day and have seen all kinds of failures. And from my experience not bypassing a cat seems like a recipe for disaster. Again I hope I am wrong. I hope it works but I am simply giving my opinion based on a pretty good understanding of the issue.

Maina, Rush Battle and brenndatomu like this.
  15. BHoller

BHoller

The initial reports I have been hearing about the v3 are that it cranks out allot of heat. And is easy to start. But doesn't have very much turndown. We will have to wait a couple years to find out about durability.

Maina and brenndatomu like this.
  16. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Jotul wouldn't be the first manufacturer to blow smoke (pun intended) about their new model...HY-C did that a couple years ago with their new wood furnace line, and it has been a collosal failure...been out 3 years and retailers have mostly either quit selling them, or have the last of them on deep clearance now...

Maina likes this.
  17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I can't/won't believe a cat can last 20 years...
    No matter who makes it, or how it's made.
    Of course, this is only my opinion.

18. BHoller

BHoller

Or all of the years of the "new and improved" Vermont castings stoves

Maina and brenndatomu like this.
  19. Highbeam

Highbeam

That’s the trick. It will last 100 years if you never burn it. 2-3 for a full time burner. Most folks don’t burn very often.

Maina, brenndatomu and BHoller like this.
  20. BKVP

BKVP

A point of clarification is in order. The wood stove industry has a single guy that has a PHd in Catalytic Chemistry. He works for the one US based manufacturer that sells to the US and Canadian wood stove market. He is surrounded by brilliant engineers. That company, that man know more about catalytic wood stoves than all the stove manufacturers put together. I toured their facility, which is VERY impressive, as is their knowledge and understanding of what makes a robust catalytic wood stove design.

When they say 1600F wipes out the wash coat, it cannot be contested. Second, when they say stove must have upper threshold limiters, again, they are correct.

Lastly, there are NO NEW cats or substrates that have come to market for the wood stove industry in the past couple of years. There are certainly some new palladium & platinum blends, but these do not improve or raise wash coat thresholds. At the 2019 Hearth Expo, they addressed with a stove company their claims of "a new material that can tolerate well over 2,000F."

You know BASF and many other massive companies with massive R & D funding are stilling looking for a way to increase wash coat thresholds....with no luck so far.