In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstock Fan Club ?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Dumf, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Anyone out there burning any other stove than Woodstocks ?
    Sure, it's a great maker with excellent rep and quality, but c'mon now.
    If we had wanted a cat stove again, Woodstock would have been in the running just behind Blaze King.
    Butt we wanted simple, and reliability so Jotul.
    So what are you burning ? Speak.

2. Chaz

Chaz

:rofl: :lol:

There's plenty of non-WS owners here.
    :yes:

3. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I love my ole 1003c earthstove with a combustor. Works good for me. I do keep thinking something newer would probably be better, but gonna stick with this for the time being

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Woodstock with a cat. It is simple.

5. snaple4

snaple4

When I upgrade one of those two manufacturers will be top of list.

I am running a Summers Heat 2k (from Lowe’s). Before that was a 1980 epa Sierra stove. Before that was regency I 2400 (insert). Before that, and after, a pit in the ground in the yard.

6. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Running a Quadrafire 5700 Steptop. It has been amazing. N0 parts failure in 6-7 years now. No gaskets needed, nothing has melted or warped, no cracked frame or door, no door adjustments needed, just a beast of a stove that really puts out the heat. Plus I run the stove hard, heating from the basement. I have replaced the baffle boards due to my aggressive loading. I hear you Dumf.

Chazsbetterhalf, MAF143, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  7. Geoff C

Geoff C

I picked up a Jotul Oslo 50% off due to t he EPA 2020 requirements. Waiting to install it in the spring.

Currently running Hearthstone Clydesdale

Camber, Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. tim117

tim117

Navigator Stove Works NSW2 (Little Cod) in my small living room.
    England’s Stove Works 28-4000 in my basement to be installed this spring.

I do love the look of some of Woodstock’s products. Not crazy about the high price.

Chazsbetterhalf, Slocum and Chaz like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Well my lil bro has a NC 30 and sister has hearthstone Mansfield uncles got a Fisher mama bear.. BUT I the smart one and got a IS:D

10. Highbeam

Highbeam

I'm burning a BK princess since 2012, 9 months per year, on mostly evergreens and some low btu hardwoods in a moderate climate. Good cat stoves like the BK and woodstock are superior at running low and slow for long burn times and are also able to be kicked into high gear when it gets really cold. There are a couple of other cat stove brands out there with some smart manufacturers that just might impress us in the future.

In my shop I have a 3.5 cubic foot noncat Englander NC30 that is run on weekends as hard and hot as I can safely run it. A cat stove would have been a waste in this application and really I would like more horsepower. Wood furnace? or figure out a way to heat water in the radiant slab that is unused at this time.

There was a sort of exodus of the woodstock clan from that other site a while back. They all came together here.

Chazsbetterhalf, Chaz, tim117 and 2 others like this.
  11. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

I have a Lopi hybrid-fyre cap cod insert. Been running it 5 years now with no real issues. For an insert I’m surprised at how much heat I get out of it (of course with the blower running). I wish I had space for a free standing stove as the wide but shallow front opening design of the insert does not lend itself well to really loading up tight.

12. Locust Post

Locust Post

Buck 91 cat insert, can't recall if this is the 4th of 5th season

13. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Drolet 1400i stove in the fireplace, Kuuma VF100 wood furnace down stairs...

Chazsbetterhalf, Slocum, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  14. Ohio

Ohio

I have a Morso 2010. It is a non catalytic cast iron stove. It is very well built and very understated, it puts out a lot of heat when running full tilt. It is our third year heating with the stove, we usually burn 3 to 3.5 cords per year. The firebox is 1.1 cubic feet, resulting in only six hours of useable heat.

15. BDF

BDF

Wait, you mean that there ARE other stoves out there other than those made by Woodstock?

:)

Blaze King makes what appears to be a nice product, used and liked very well by a lot of people apparently. I also looked seriously at a Regency before buying a new stove and they too appear to be quite high quality along with a basically open- ended warranty.

Lots of people burning all kinds of stoves, including quite a few old time, non- EPA stoves and many or even most seem quite satisfied with them. A friend of mine has a pair of Jotuls and likes them although he did make an error in purchasing two different size stoves; the splits for the larger stove will not fit in the smaller stove so he has to have either two wood piles (and he does) or burn short splits in both stoves. But that of course is not a fault of a Jotul....

Brian

16. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Thx Brian.
    To sum up our personal experience heating with 2 wood stoves 24/7 and 99 44/100 % for 2 decades in Maine here it is.
    Burnt stoves from Lange, Ashley, Morso, Tempwood , Jotul, and an older VC Vigilant in past homes, and one high maintenance VC Encore cat here in Maine since 2001.
    Two "new and improved" VC Encore Flexburns didn't make it :emb:(read the review and post ). Though I wanted a BK Ashford due to the
    excellent user reviews, looks, and customer service, it just wouldn't fit correctly. She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted a non cat and demanded a pretty.:salute:
    Visited Woodstock plant but She didn't like the looks or cats. Sooooooo.....
    Jotul Rangely. Now the Oslo (~17 years ) will be replaced by a second Rangely.

Both Blaze King and Woodstock ( somewhat Jotul ) are models of how a firm takes pride in its products and customers. :handshake:

17. Highbeam

Highbeam

Jotul makes some pretty stoves.

So when a consumer has a question about warranty, operation, etc. can they call Jotul and talk to an actual smart person to get answers? They can with bk and Woodstock.

Chazsbetterhalf, Slocum, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  18. Dumf

Dumf Banned

I have. Jotul USA has a number in Gorham, Maine ...try it. Ye who doubt HB. Don't know about a "smart person", but I got the answers wanted.
    They sent me a plain cooktop to replace the porcelain one at no charge on an Oslo 2003 or 4.
    When I cracked the top plate due to Mr. Stupid leaving the ash door cracked, they gave us a new top.
    Could be a couple of things why. I'm smart :thumbs:. I'm from Maine ( Vacationland ). I was persistent ( read "pushy" ).
    I was polite. I was knew the product.
    Merit Badge time. :bug:

Chazsbetterhalf, Slocum, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  19. BHoller

BHoller

I have never had any problems with jotul customer service at all.

20. Highbeam

Highbeam

sure, as a dealer, but us low ranking consumers are not always able to access real people at the manufacturer.

Slocum, Chaz and BHoller like this.