In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Woodstacking

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Aug 27, 2019.

  1. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
  2. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
  3. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    I extend no warranties on the veracity of anything within. In fact haven’t read it myself yet.
    Just thought it would make for interesting conversation.
     
  4. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,428
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Good read. It is most satisfying when your stacks, visible from the roadside, are well known throughout the community. My father works at the town beer store and folks he know comment as do friends. Guess that means I’m an adequate potential husband (they are straight and true). Lol!
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI

    I read part of it and decided it was the same type of junk reporters like to print. They know a little bit about it, usually from what they've been told and by what they've read. It is sort of like the stories about pine...
     
  6. Biddleman

    Biddleman

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2019
    Messages:
    3,069
    Likes Received:
    24,193
    Location:
    River Hills of Pennsylvania
    My 14 y/o son does the stacking. He actually enjoys doing it (for now).
    I will admit his stacks usually look nicer than mine. He's almost a perfectionist with it. He'll look and search for a certain piece and Im like just stack it.

    But Im glad he takes pride in his work.
     
  7. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,428
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    I found it amusing. Not even the slightest chuckle?

    Well, when their daughters reach courting age, they gauge the marital prospects of a man by the way he stacks wood. Weak and insecure men (too timid to get far) build a low stack arranged by log size — heavy logs on the bottom, little stuff on top. The socially or politically ambitious (they're all crooks) stack high and show-offish with big logs on top. The lazy (who never will amount to nothin') leave their wood in a heap or start a pile but never finish. And the sly and mercenary (watch yer virtue and yer pocketbook) stack ground-fall tree limbs and apple tree prunings in with the wood. If you want to keep your psyche to yourself, stack as the sticks come out of the pile.
     
  8. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    I wonder what the buzz on this guy is... IMG_20190831_48222.jpg
     
  9. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Those would be good stacks to have if your house is at a three way intersection with a history of cars driving into the living room. :)
     
  10. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,428
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Agree’d. That’s an eyesore.
     
  11. Flamestead

    Flamestead

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2013
    Messages:
    2,167
    Likes Received:
    10,974
    Location:
    Windsor County, VT
  12. jo191145

    jo191145

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2015
    Messages:
    7,234
    Likes Received:
    50,436
    Location:
    Ct
    Ha, finally got around to reading it myself.
    The one point I found interesting and the reason I saved it was the mention of leaving the wood in the forest for one year to season. Goes against common logic and practice. We generally bring the rounds home and leave in an open area. Process when you have time. Agreed?
    Also could just be the author making stuff up.

    On the other hand there was one fall when I cut a bunch of live, healthy red oaks that were all leaners. Not a lot of dead or dying to choose from that year so I started on the leaners. Then massive overtime at work hit and I never had a chance to get them out of the woods. Stayed there, stacked in rounds for one year.
    I was a little shocked at how light they were the next year. I had thought being in a lush, shady jungle like environment they would be soaked, heavy and beginning to rot.
    I will say rot wasn’t too far off. There was a definite transformation occurring.

    Anyone else ever experience anything like that?
    I’m sort of interested in the stages between living and rot that wood goes through. And what stage or process best preserves the wood for firewood usage.
    Conventional thinking would be CSS as soon as possible. Logical.
     
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,765
    Likes Received:
    215,032
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    All the red oak I CS at the mini honey hole was pretty wet inside despite being propped up off the ground and getting decent afternoon sun plus good air movement on the edge of a field. It was maybe two years before I cut it.
    Can't say I've experienced anything like you did though.
    My logic is the same...try to CSS asap to start the drying process.
     
  14. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    How about some pics of his work?
     
  15. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    I've found out that red Oak doesn't like to sit around and wait in my driveway, especially the bigger pieces. The outer wood will give way and then the center starts to give way...especially if in contact with the ground....
     
  16. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,428
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Hmm, what kind of time frame is it sitting? I've not experienced the same (unless of course it's on the ground).
     
  17. Chvymn99

    Chvymn99 Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    21,484
    Likes Received:
    113,766
    Location:
    KC Metro
    :emb:.... a year... but it might be also that it’s in piles sitting in the driveway... I’d love to get it Processed faster, but with the hours at work, the kid all his activities, plus the house... never seems to be enough time.. but I’m taking advantage of this nice weather this weekend...:D...
     
  18. Jack Straw

    Jack Straw

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    8,402
    Likes Received:
    52,443
    Location:
    30 miles west of Albany Ny
    Don’t forget all the gtgs!
     
  19. The Wood Wolverine

    The Wood Wolverine

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2015
    Messages:
    18,857
    Likes Received:
    121,428
    Location:
    Gettysburg, PA
    Ah, I’ve never let it sit quiet that long. I have a mountain beside my driveway waiting for cool temps. Pretty sure it’s not red though.
    D59BDE54-BA34-4793-8EE6-63A829CCE9DD.jpeg 29F738F2-9B26-4807-B476-1059B2EC464E.jpeg
     
  20. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    That was the only good part of the whole article!