In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

woodmax woodchipper knife sharpening jig

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Joe P, Aug 21, 2023.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Hi Guys -

I've got a woodmax DC1260 wood chipper. Its a freaking beast. It comes with reversible knives. I just put my spare set into the chipper and figured and should find a way to sharpen them, without sending them back to woodmax. They have a sharpening service, but I think they charge 15 bucks a set (or per knife, don't remember)

Anyways, after some trial and error, I've got a jig that works surprisingly well. WAY more accurate than just using a file or angle grinder with a flap disk...

20230819_194751.jpg 20230819_194808.jpg

20230819_200845.jpg

last picture in the list is from the initial grinding. You can still see the low spots on the edges and where the knife has been sharpened. I have to grind in stages to keep the heat down. The jig itself is a 3d printed part. I'm using C-sink screws, which center the knives on the jig and puts the centerlines of the knives parallel with each other and at the same height. I'll be added dowel pins as well for additional accuracy. But even with just the two screws, its working very well.

Videos of the jig in action...

https://youtube.com/shorts/K9wI19I7eeM?feature=share

The last video ended up being a short, I'm not sure why so I can't embed the link. It shows the result of the initial grinding.

2. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Turn up the speed on the drill press. I swapped my motor for a treadmill motor and have a dial for speed. Anything from about 60 rpm up to router speed.

3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I had a similar jig to do small chipper blades on a small surface grinder. Overkill for sure, but the bevels would be a near mirror finish and you could easy shave with the blades when done. It was fun though!

JimBear, Screwloose, Haftacut and 2 others like this.
  4. Skier76

Skier76

That’s a really cool set up! Nice work!

Screwloose likes this.
  5. MAF143

MAF143

I've been talking about a similar fixture for years to do my planer and jointer knives... After seeing your post maybe I'll get off my dead ADZE this winter and get it done...

MasterMech and Screwloose like this.
  6. Screwloose

Screwloose

That's how I sharpen mine. Magnetic V block and CBN wheel. Pretty little razors.

MasterMech likes this.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Same setup!

I was doing little Tory-Bilt Tomahawk and Bear-Cat chipper blades. It was hilarious how fast it would eat compared to new blades.

Screwloose and Skier76 like this.
  8. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Do you sharpen to 30 degree angle?
    What stone do you use?

Screwloose likes this.
  9. Screwloose

Screwloose

That's what I have a couple of Bear-Cats. The pto one gets quite aggressive!!

10. Screwloose

Screwloose

A word of caution, if your drill press has a Morse taper the vibration and weight of the stone can cause it to drop out.

MasterMech likes this.
  11. cezar

cezar

This is extremely cool. I have the MX-8600, so this is good info. I also have a milling machine so I should be able to do the same thing.

Screwloose likes this.
  12. Joe P

Joe P

yes, 30° bevel. I'm using a stone from McMasterCarr... its got a 5/8" thread on it so I just got a long 5/8" bolt, ran it through the stone and put nuts on both sides to tighten it down. Cut the head off the bolt and chucked it up in the drill. It ran pretty true. At least close enough for government work.

Heavy-Removal Angle Grinder Wheel For Steel And Stainless Steel, Full Backing, 4" Diameter

4354A31

The stone is pretty aggressive, so it leave pretty hard cutter marks, so I use some 220 grit on a flat plat to clean them up a little bit.

That's good info on the morse taper. I don't know what is in the drill press, so I'll have to look it up. Its an old Ridgid, from early 2000's

Screwloose likes this.