In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood turners here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by FatBoy85, Sep 8, 2019.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Just came in supply with some Holly and want to know if it’s worth tracking down a wood turner for the wood care and etc. Any help or tips are welcome!

Chaz and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

My apologies, I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed, what is it your asking?

Holly would certainly be a worthy inclusion for some woodturning, if that's what your are asking. Haven't worked with it yet, but supposedly a very hard wood.

Chaz, T.Jeff Veal and FatBoy85 like this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

No apologies necessary, I wanted to ask if anyone knew if there were special care for wood that gets turned. I know of the millers who say to paint the ends of the trees with marine seal? to minimize the water flow and reduce cracking. I wondered if drying rounds or burls for turners were best having the same treatment.

4. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Yes, you should definitely coat the ends with something. Really doesn't need to be anything special, just anything that plugs the open end grain and prevents rapid water loss. I've use everything from old, left over house paint to melted candle wax.

What diameter rounds do you have?

I've never worked with Holly, so looked it up. Quite a few odd characteristics to deal with but apparently a desirable wood in the right market. Take a read here, including the comments section at the end. Holly | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

Chaz and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

The rounds range from some at about 3-4 inches to some that look bordering 22-24”. Just a couple pics to get an idea of what to do. I’m not sure I will be able to have someone turn this stuff but if I can manage it I'd do my best to set some pieces aside. Thanks much so far. I tried messaging another turner with no response so it’s either a limited market or a busy one:handshake:
    90A8E5D6-04F6-4B4C-8419-0E763AFAE27F.jpeg 55E21EBB-E84F-41E5-AB86-CAC430F4A624.jpeg 941A391E-CE4C-412F-B7C5-9FDC85F3C6E4.jpeg

6. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

I coat the ends with Anchorseal. Its just a wax emulsion that slows the drying.

It would take a bigtime lathe to turn those rounds:jaw:

Chaz, FatBoy85 and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

No kidding about the rounds! I’m surprised myself that a Holly got so wide around, my parents have a tree that likely started as a bush then the trunks have become pretty substantial around but by comparison to the ones above...makes me wonder how old!

I was curious if this is feasible wood to protect and put away for turners. Doesn’t usually the stuff gets milled into blanks and then ready to turn? I don’t have access to those steps so I want to do what I can before my mind gets away from me and starts splitting this stuff into all firewood. I’ve already begun but there’s plenty I haven’t split yet so just guide me wherever on this. Hate to turn wood that would be better for TURNING, not firewood! Thanks for the anchorseal advice, I’ll be looking for that next.

Chaz and RabbleRouser like this.
  8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yes
    Sometimes yes. But a wood turner is always looking for wood to make bowl blanks. I look for anything that stands out and make my own blanks when i can.
    Ive made hickory, black birch, sycamore and ash blanks from the wood ive found out back and from my neighbor's tree business.

9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Buying wood bowl blanks from a retailer is pretty expensive.
    Especially the rare stuff:faint:

10. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

The Holly looks to be a sought after wood by certain craftspeople, used for much more than just turning. Even just inside the world of turning there are people that do toss an entire round up on a large lathe and others that use small pieces for turning fancy pens. I think the trick is going to be finding the people that want it and then let them tell you what to do with it. One good resource to sell or trade it might be here WoodBarter

One of my other up & coming hobbies is building reproduction flintlock rifles from scratch and I know people in that market like Holly for accent pieces as it's very white and the grain is barely discernible. Same with instrument makers and people that restore those old wood horse drawn coaches...

That first article I posted the link to, says it is predisposed to getting Blue Stain Spalting when it takes longer to dry but then, there are people out there that will pay 3x more for certain spalted woods.

I would keep the pieces as long as possible, bark on and coat the ends. Then start finding people that want it and see how they would like you to proceed.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and TurboDiesel like this.
  11. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Also, nothing I've ever done but, I know some turners used to take woods that were very difficult to stabilize and soak them in a solution of PEG Polyethylene Glycol. Components of that would replace the water and fill the fibers, solidifying in the wood and stabilizing it. I'm not sure if that is still done or if it's gone out of practice.
    Another popular site to post this on might be Lumberjocks. Lots of wood turners on there.

Chaz, FatBoy85 and TurboDiesel like this.
  12. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Great ideas, Rabble.:handshake:

13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I’m gathering that anything larger than a broom handle is a potential project if handled correctly. That being said if you believe I put anchor-seal or the like on the ends, set aside the rounds whole? I don’t intend to cut anything to any size but Any rounds or pieces that are more favorable than others??? Couple of rounds have some kind of burl in them but it had been cut as a section. I will look through my pile. Here’s a couple small burls I saved. 6FD81C8C-FAD4-4FC7-823E-DF273146A014.jpeg
    I basically need a lesson in knowing what to look for wood turners. Not knowing what is a desired piece to another... maybe my splitter ran out of gas at the right time?

Chaz and TurboDiesel like this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Lumberjocks. Will take a look! Thanks! Luckily the wet weather has come by for a bit so the wood sits well and hope I can find the info on raw wood pieces and etc there. Will keep you posted on it!

15. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

"I’m gathering that anything larger than a broom handle is a potential project if handled correctly."

Exactly.
    Now you've got me interested in that little burl on the left. Looks like something I'd carve a scoop out of. How much you want for it?

16. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Whole if the rounds are less than, say 6-7" and i noodle the rounds in half that are large enogh for a 10-12" bowl

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

These black birch rounds are about 16" long and 14-16" across. 20190316_181837.jpg

Chaz, eatonpcat and RabbleRouser like this.
  18. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Here's a hickory blank after i cut it to fit on the lathe. Started out same as the birch above. (I just shaped it with the chainsaw till it would turn on the lathe. 12 1/2" max) 20190101_141357.jpg

Chaz, metalcuttr, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  19. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

If you got a plan for it, I’d be happy to send it out to ya, you can pm me for details.

20. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I'm trying to find how to PM you and failing miserably... Maybe I can't until I hit a certain post count?
    It looks like I can get something out of it just never sure till I have it in my hands and even then till I start working into it. It's not a part that was close to or in the ground? My knives don't like embedded rocks. :eek:
    Shipping would be to 07885 - Let me know what you want. Maybe if you PM me, I can reply back.