In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood shed build thread, finally

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Horkn, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Horkn

Horkn

:whistle: yes, it has to look nice, as it's pretty big, and the neighbors will see it. We also will have to look at it a lot as well.

My wife asked if we could hang out there after it's completed. I thought she was joking. I guess she wasn't as she asked if we could set up a tent in a bay and have a fire down there before it gets too cold this Fall. Well, I could move the fire pit down there and firewood shouldn't be an issue.

I guess the bigger thing is that she sees what this wood shed will be like, and she's more and more on board with getting that bigger detached garage that when been talking about. That isn't happening until the lumber prices return to acceptable levels and we stop having health issues with the pups.

2. Horkn

Horkn

I haven't seen that, I think. Well I haven't been on that website.

I'll take a look.

Yes, 1 more day of solid work, maybe this weekend if my buddy doesn't need to work tomorrow, and it will have the roofs all done.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Sounds like we need a link! ;)

4. cnice_37

cnice_37

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

7. Horkn

Horkn

I see that. I wonder if there's been sagging issues from lack of support in the middle of each bay
    My shed is also bigger as his only hold 9 total cords, and when done will be better roofed.

They've got a bigger tractor though, and it has a FEL on it.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I haven't had an eye exam lately, but it looks to me like those are larger 2X's than yours (2x8, 2x10?), and shorter, but I think I still see a little sag, especially on the left bay...

9. Horkn

Horkn

I see both issues that you see in those pics.

10. Horkn

Horkn

I was able to get a good hour and a half of work on the shed this evening in between rain showers. My buddy had to swing by and I'll take whatever time he can give to help.
    We got the right Bay's 4x4's straightened, and braced. Then I ripped a 2x12 in half the long way to make roof support beams. We put those beams up, replicating the roof from the left and center bays so they all look the same.
    I'll see if I can get a pic tonight, otherwise I'll get a picture tomorrow.

It was kind of putzy work, but it was important to take the time to get it to look congruent.

My buddy will come over again on Saturday, so I'm thinking/ hoping we can get it all finished, at least the roof on by then. Any siding/ walls I can do on my own. I'll probably start getting roof joists measured, marked and cut tomorrow.

11. Horkn

Horkn

Ok here's what we got done last night. 20201002_103504_HDR(1).jpg

It's definitely getting there.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yup, gettin closer! :yes:
    So based on the shadows in that pic, the shed faces south?
    What direction is prevailing wind from?
    Curious if you plan to put siding on the front down to some point...say 7-8'?

13. fuelrod

fuelrod

Back a page or so, about adding a "t" of some sort to the rafter tails, I'd just think about adding a fascia board wide (tall) enough to kiss the bottom of the metal and cover the whole rafter tail. You could do that much later when lumber prices get real, I just am "sensitive" to exposing any end grain to the weather along with what's normally, what, $60 bucks to dress it up just a bit.:salute:
    Looks great and will be a great comfort having that rascal filled up with btu's. :thumbs:

14. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Making good progress. Maybe it will get finished this weekend.

15. Horkn

Horkn

The shed faces due West. Wind, well, that depends. In winter, a lot of snow comes off the back side of lake Michigan so that would be from the East. I might do some sort of siding at the top on the front of the shed.
    Yes, I probably will dress it up at some point. Probably in Spring. I want to see what it looks like as it's, and how it works with snow and rain first.

I think it will get done this weekend, at least the roof on and at least 1 bay sided and walled in.
    I know my wife is getting anxious to start putting wood into the shed. :)

16. Horkn

Horkn

Ok. Didn't quite get as much as I wanted to get done today for a couple of reasons, the number 1 reason being the drizzle that led to steady rain by 4 pm. The off and on drizzle was not forecasted by any of the 3 local TV stations. The rain by 4 was though.

Despite the rain, and other delays, we got a lot done.

Here's where we ended up.

20201003_175356_HDR(1).jpg

We put up the 3 of the 4 steel roof panels on the center Bay to have a dry area to work, especially needed for the chop saw with the rain.

Should be about 1.5 hrs of work left to get the rest of the roof on. My buddy will be able to stop one day after work some day when it's not raining. It's not supposed to rain this whole upcoming week.

I'll have a bit of work to do on my own before he can stop by though. Mostly putting up the "Tee's" on the ends of the purlins on the right bay and adding the 2x4 tie in's between the roof joists and the roof beams. Those 2x4 tie in's really work great to strengthen the structure.

17. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Nice to see some panels on the top. Won't be long to finish now.

18. Chaz

Chaz

The project is coming along nicely Horkn
    :yes:

19. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah, the panels on the top really help to show what it will look like. The neighbors directly behind it will get a good look at what it will be now.

Now I need to be on the lookout for deals on more lumber to side it and for the 2 separating walls. I've got some, maybe even mostly enough, but I've not mapped all that out yet.:whistle:

20. mikeward

mikeward

Great job there. I've enjoyed watching your build you're gonna love the dry wood and especially no wet leaves or snow keeping wood wet.

I've built several similar sheds and they are well worth the effort.
    Dog ear wood fence makes a great side panel with clear le an on top for sunlight. Bought the pickets and nailed on side 2x4s

You might want to consider an adjustable awning on the fronts of the sheds. Would push rain and snow out further and you could park splitter under one to keep it out of weather while using it.
    Some pics of awnings. Also a cheap harbor freight solar light on shed is great. I have one with light underneath out of weather with solar panel out in sun great for nights. Automatically goes on when you approach shed.
    0F6696EB-350E-4D82-AB6F-E1CE0E81BE87.jpeg 108F29B0-A958-414E-AF88-5B9BC0609B57.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020