In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Prices?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Chud, Sep 27, 2020.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Saw the same display in front of my local Lowe's today. $10.99 for .6 cubic ft. bag.

amateur cutter, mat60 and Chud like this.
  2. billb3

billb3

The few guys around here that cut, split and actually stack red oak and season it well get a hundred bucks more per cord and sell out quick. The two I know of were buying oak logs and working them on weekends. It wasn't their day job(s). They're selling to people who know what well seasoned wood is and mostly don't have room in their yards to season large quantities of wood.
    It's sad to see people struggling to burn semi-seasoned wood and not getting their money's worth out of it but there are people who still smoke cigarettes too and people who don't budget and don't have a clue where their money has gone at the end of the week. What can you do.

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

55 for a face cord of red oak delivered "locally" here. Cut and split, of course.

Where I moved to is not considered "locally" :whistle:

4. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

My friend with the firewood processor gets $220 a very generous full cord, split and delivered (dumped) within 30 miles. This is green wood and mostly birch. He has maple occasionally if his boys who are loggers get into it.

Most people who heat with firewood in the area use birch since it is the predominant firewood with a btu rating over 20.

It is a side job for him, and he is busiest in the fall. He is very clear with his customers that it is not seasoned wood. The logs go right from the semi, to his yard, through the processor, and conveyed into his dump truck that holds a cord and half. It is a very efficient operation.

He said knows some of people he sells to will start burning it almost immediately :loco: :crazy:. He tries to explain to them the inherent problem with this, but some just don’t seem to want to, or are able to plan ahead. His wife who takes most the orders and runs the books is so frustrated with this that she talks to all his customers about getting at least a year ahead.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Sounds like your friend is a good man. It must be a pleasure to know him. :handshake: