In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood Prices?

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Chud, Sep 27, 2020.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

Yeah, I know that stuff is so unsightly to have sitting in your yard! I wonder if it has occurred to those homeowners to just burn it instead of swapping it out? :doh: They just may learn something in the process!

amateur cutter and JimBear like this.
  2. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I know of a firewood seller near me that stacks wood in a high end restaurant. About every 6 wks or so he has to take out the old wood and put in fresh....what a gig he gets paid to let his wood season indoors!!

3. Marshel54

Marshel54

Sounds like you are talking about my wife. She was born 1949.
    Hope she doesn't see this.

4. Haftacut

Haftacut

This is exactly what I was gonna post. Last season, I averaged just over 90 bucks a face. Only stacked for one customer. Majority was deliveries. Only doing pickup for one guy this year that lives down the road from me and burns recreationally.

amateur cutter and MikeInMa like this.
  5. Haftacut

Haftacut

I cut all my stuff 16” long and I can easily get a third cord in my truck, which is a gmc sonoma

6. Haftacut

Haftacut

I held this year for a lady I’ve sold to for three years. Inconvenient, and in the end, didn’t want as much as she said. I’ll accommodate her but won’t hold in the future

amateur cutter and jrider like this.
  7. JimBear

JimBear

:jaw:I just stumbled across this ad when looking for some bridge planks. I could make the 225 mile round trip to sell my Cherry & still make out like a bandit. Maybe I should find a belt trailer & load it up.

Check out the stacking prices :jaw::bug:

046E597C-FC54-4CCE-AB44-FE7E5CB3D1B9.png

8. Chud

Chud

I knew I was shorting myself. $100 delivery fee $100 stacking fee +$500 for cord of mixed oak species effective immediately. :makeitrain"
    $300 for 1/2 cord

9. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

Wow! We are headed that way with all ten cords of oak. :thumbs:

10. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner

Greed is as American as cherry pie. Why am I not surprised in the slightest.

farmer steve and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  11. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

My German buddy who was here in the states for four years thought it was hilarious that I was not gouging folks when we got a huge snow storm and power was out. Literally any dry firewood available in January was getting purchased immediately for 200-300$ a half cord. He commented something like- this is what Americans do! Make money when you plan ahead and others do not! Had a real good laugh about that one.

Side note- we pulled a church buddy’s bmw suv out of a snowy ditch down a gully with lots of straps and my wife’s 4runner. No charge. Told him that’s actually what we do. Help folks in need!

12. Chud

Chud

I’d be happy with 4-600 per cord.

13. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

So I had a friend ask if they could buy a cord of firewood from me today. This will be the first time I'm selling a full cord so I'm trying to figure out a price (not looking to price gouge). Up here there's no such thing as 'dry' firewood from commercial suppliers (despite what they advertise) and this time of year, a cord of green hardwood sells for around $225 and up. What I'll be selling is all hardwood (no oak) that has been top covered and drying for over a year. Right now he will pick up the firewood. I'm thinking $200.00 ($250 if delivered)?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    amateur cutter and Ron T like this.
  14. JimBear

JimBear

I would think since it’s semi/partly seasoned you should charge at last what green price is if not more.

15. Bill2

Bill2

Bedford NH area getting around $325 delivered.

amateur cutter and EODMSgt like this.
  16. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

Makes sense. I was cutting the price back since they are a friends however you make a good point that my time and effort is worth something. Delivery is what is tough for me (old and busted up) so maybe I'll quote them $225 if they pick it up and $275 if delivered.

Wow, is that for seasoned or green? Definitely a lot higher $$ down in your neck of the woods. Of course there is a commercial seller in the Londonderry area that sells "kiln dried" firewood for outrageous prices. $877 for a FACE cord of 12" splits! You can get "1/8" of a cord (whatever ridiculous measurement that is) for the low price of $343.00.

17. billb3

billb3

Around here green "mixed" or even just oak (no pine) hardwood is usually $200/cord. "Seasoned" is usually $250/cord by the guys with commercial enterprises ( processors, bulk) Usually in big piles and if you're lucky and get from the top of the pile you might get decent wood, if you get from deep within-good luck. Early in the Spring there will be a few (independent, back yard entrepreneurs) guys that stacked a little bit in their back yards, with just a couple of well seasoned cords and they advertise it at $325. Goes quick.
    Problem with selling to a friend at a low price is then one of their friends might want the same price. Been there, done that. Can't have every Tom, duck and Harry looking for a deal, unless you need the cash. Word of mouth can bite cha in the azz sometimes.

amateur cutter, brenndatomu and Ron T like this.
  18. JimBear

JimBear

What’s the federal mileage reimbursement now ? Around $.58 I think ? Then you have your time loading, unloading & to/from.

I have a couple of friends & some of my brothers friends that buy campfire wood from me, I sort of felt bad charging them normal firewood prices because of the buddy factor but after some reflecting on it, they are all capable & have the means of cutting their own. That said they are grateful to have dry firewood & are willing to pay for the convenience so I am willing to accept their money. One of the fellas was using dunnage boards from semi trailers for cooking wood, another was using diesel fuel to start his campfires because of wet wood :faint:

19. billb3

billb3

close enough
    Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 12.23.34 PM.png

amateur cutter and EODMSgt like this.
  20. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

All good points. I told him $275 delivered (it's not that far) but told him that's the bottom price I would charge anyone else (with no delivery). Trying to head the 'word of mouth bro deal' off at the pass. He was good with the price and I'm ok with it (although not looking forward to loading/unloading in this heat). This is only the second time I've sold firewood in the last 12 years of processing my own so I don't think it will be a regular occurrence. However, they just moved up here permanently last year so if I end up selling some to them in the future, I can manage.