In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood lots $$$

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Woodwhore, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Hey, good morning everybody. What do some of you pay a landowner to use an area for a woodlot processing area?

2. Flamestead

Flamestead

From a landowner perspective it is often not about the money, but rather about relationships.

Some of it depends on your footprint... do you drive through the front yard, how often are you there, will you sell from there, will this be seasonal, what are the alternatives for the landowner, ...

At least enough to cover taxes?

We farm a neighbor’s 20ac hayfield and pay nothing, but I do miscellaneous maintenance and keep it looking good, and we are there 6d a year for the haying.

3. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Good points, ya i live pretty much in the woods and this guy has land everwhere. Its an old landing from logging his property. No houses, no traffic. He gave me the 20 cords of logs sitting there years ago. I was just wondering what to offer

Screwloose, metalcuttr, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I think it’s 3 dollars a tree on stump.. Ask the guy, what would you like?
    what can I do to help you?
    Tell him your not looking for freebies but what is it that he needs wants?

Screwloose, metalcuttr, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My landlord lets me have an area to work on and store wood. I give him some wood and will do little favors as well. The wood is not in his way at all. Problem is im overhoarded by 400%
    I give my friend a cord of unsplit rounds as an annual "rent" payment as well. I store wood there. I also bring rounds to store and split there as well. Rarely and cutting. I'll text him prior to my going there. Its in his front woods so not intrusive too much. He is ten minutes from me. Im also building a wood lean to free of charge for him. I also helped him dismantle his stove pipe to clean (he doesnt like heights). Ill end up helping him process that cord. A lot of it is on the gnarly side and he doesnt noodle. Ill end up cutting, giving him more wood which i really dont mind. He has said i could start another two cord rack. Doesnt take too long for me to fill one though. I may make it for the locust ive been working on. He has no PU and there is some splits he needs moved to his back yard so i volunteered myself and truck to help. He is very busy so has limited time to work on wood.

Is there someone you can work out a barter? Trade wood for storage room rather than cash. I prefer that personally.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  6. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I was just thinking about it if i were to start buying logs and processing them. I could never do that here. Wife would definitely kill me. Theres a guy that has 8 cord plus loads for $700 and the guy up the road that gave me 15 cord of logs a few years ago has the old landing in the middle of nowhere down the road with no houses around . I could work at midnight there and nobody would even know. So i was just curious what people pay.

7. Screwloose

Screwloose

I don't really process there but I do cut and store a lot of wood. For "payment " I just do some tidying up around the place, pick up trash, clean up fallen branches etc. Mainly I try to leave it better than I found it. Respect for the persons property goes a long way.