In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood fired oven - portabella chicken pasta bake with fresh loaf

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by fishingpol, Oct 3, 2015.

  1. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    It was a cool gloomy day today, the stove has been rolling along nicely today and picked through some recipes for a hot casserole for dinner.

    I fired the oven on white cedar a maple split then an oak split. I had this thing rolling nicely.

    20151003_173234.jpg

    I prepped some homemade bread while the oven heated. Towards the end of the firing, I moved the splits off to each side and raked the coals out. This gave the sides of the dome a good heating.

    20151003_173711.jpg

    I let the dough rise for only 1/2 hour and put it in the oven after I pulled the coals out. I had the wood door soaking in water for a while. I started making the casserole inside. 40 minutes later the bread was done.

    20151003_180901.jpg

    The casserole was pretty much cooked already. I just put it in for about 30 minutes to bake the top.

    20151003_182150.jpg


    The recipe was chicken, cream sauce, pasta and sautéed mushrooms with garlic.

    20151003_182640.jpg

    It was a great meal.

    20151003_182656.jpg
     
  2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2015
    Messages:
    12,546
    Likes Received:
    61,489
    Location:
    Taconic Range
    too much starch
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Everything looks like it turned out perfect. If you had a restaurant, it would be packed. We need an FHC G2G at your place! Nice job!:drool:
     
    basod, Woodwidow and fishingpol like this.
  4. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    basod, Woodwidow and fishingpol like this.
  5. TurboDiesel

    TurboDiesel

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2013
    Messages:
    16,238
    Likes Received:
    97,546
    Location:
    Hollidaysburg Pa
    that looks great, Jon
     
  6. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    I will have some leftover toasted bread with my homemade jelly for breakfast.
     
  7. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Now yer just bragging!
    Really, tho- very nice, indeed!
     
    papadave, basod and Woodwidow like this.
  8. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
    Nah, bragging would be making french toast out of it.

    :whistle:
     
  9. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,512
    Likes Received:
    95,514
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Again, trying not to think of food but I couldn't resist. I HAD to click on the weekend Wood Fired Oven thread. Looks awesome again. I really liked how the bread turned out. French toast or garlic toast would also be great made with the bread.
     
    basod, fishingpol and campinspecter like this.
  10. basod

    basod

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2013
    Messages:
    5,048
    Likes Received:
    20,841
    Location:
    Mount Cheaha AL
    Warm creamy pasta:drool:
    you twisted my arm chicken alfredo for me tonight
     
    HDRock likes this.
  11. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    All right Jon. That's it...........I'm comin' ovah for leftovahs.
    Starch be danged.:dex:
     
    HDRock and basod like this.
  12. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    SKEETER McCLUSKEY

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2015
    Messages:
    12,546
    Likes Received:
    61,489
    Location:
    Taconic Range
    but id eat it and like it.
     
    papadave likes this.
  13. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    Yummy !! Looks oh, so GOOD :thumbs: :drool::beerbbq: