In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wood by the numbers

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by blacktail, May 5, 2022.

  1. blacktail

    blacktail

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    1,505
    Likes Received:
    10,465
    Location:
    PNW
    The past few months I've hit some dandy wood scores. To go full firewood nerd, I got some real numbers on what I've gathered.
    The topic of vehicle payload capacity can wait for another day.
    All my wood comes home in rounds and gets split before I put it away. I think the volumes and weights I got are a decent representation of what I normally haul.
    I measured the finished stack from 2 loads and got 0.84 cord for an average of 0.42 cord per pickup load.
    With my last load, I weighed rounds as they went from the truck to the chopping block. This load was half big leaf maple and half red alder. I weighed the rounds for the first 4 wheelbarrow loads and got an average of 180 lbs per load.
    It took 9 wheelbarrow loads to empty the truck for a total of 1620 lbs.
    Since February I've brought home 11 truck loads.
    11 loads X 0.42 cord = 4.62 cords
    11 loads X 1620 lbs = 17,820 lbs
    20220321_161417.jpg
     
    Cash Larue, JDU, jrider and 16 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,780
    Likes Received:
    215,147
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    Thats a lot of wood...and weight. You for sure have been a busy hoarder. Lots of fun when you have access to wood and the time to do it.

    I usually figure half cord for a heaping load of rounds/sections in my 8' bed if neatly stacked, but have never figured the weight or if my volume is correct after the fact.

    Hoard on and cut safe!
     
  3. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,574
    Location:
    US
    I appreciate your efforts recording the #’s. Not full firewood nerd at all, in my book… although it’s good to poke a little fun at ourselves every now and then.
    :handshake::salute:
    :axe:

    :stacker::stacker::stacker:


    Hoarding :woodsign: is good!
     
    JDU, brenndatomu, theburtman and 3 others like this.
  4. amateur cutter

    amateur cutter

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2013
    Messages:
    5,997
    Likes Received:
    48,771
    Location:
    Gun Lake MI
    Hmm.. very interesting for sure. We hauled a load of White Oak logs back that scaled at 16,500lbs in an 8' X 16' tri axle dump gooseneck. trailer did fine, but the truck was not loving life that day.