In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Women on vacation

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jo191145, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Norway Spruce resin, when burned as incense, smells really good. Better than EWP resin.

2. jo191145

jo191145

Sorry to say it’s our property. That would be the original house lot from the mid 1700’s so I can’t say what came first, the trees or the lines :)
    Here’s one of my life’s mysteries. The old power lines came up that road, The kind with the blue insulators. That’s understandable as there were two houses on that corner back then. Here’s the odd part. Over my lifetime I’ve discovered more of those blue insulators leading into the Meshomasic State Forest. For the life of me I can’t figure out what would have been back there to electrify.
    There are old stone foundations from before the age of electricity. It’s a mystery to me.

3. theburtman

theburtman

Why so soon?

4. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Could’ve been for telegraph wire. I know that Portland reservoir road used to run right through to more civilization westwards. I find those old blue insulators along the abandoned railway beds fairly regularly.

5. Erik B

Erik B

It was postponed from 3 months ago:whistle::whistle:

6. billb3

billb3

A hundred years ago broiler chicken barns dotted the countryside. Just big enough for one person to maintain feeding about a half hour or so in the morning and a half hour or so in the evening. Lights in the Winter would be handy plus chickens also require water 24/7.
    Profit margins got so thin most of them became inactive by the fifties and now only the huge farms are left.

brenndatomu and jo191145 like this.
  7. jo191145

jo191145

possibly telegraph, I’ve considered that before. Did a little looking and telegraph were usually a little different design.
    Yes Portland reservoir was once an active road in the old days but nothing on it in my area. On the Portland end there was a tuberculosis hospital but it’s a much shorter distance to provide power from that end. Right near the reservoir.
    Maybe the power from Portland ran all the way through to power the Marlborough end? Guess that’s possible. Pretty long run but hey,,, But I guess if you wanted power it would be coming from nearer the river/civilization.
    Most of the history in that forest predates electricity which is the part that confuses me.