In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Winter Small Engine Storage: Gas Full (w. Stabil) vs Gas Empty

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Dumf, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Rowerwet

Rowerwet

I drain the tank, run the engine empty and leave it
    Winter gas has a 1-2% ethanol in it, since ethanol is drygas

2. billb3

billb3

There's no such thing as 100% gas. It has to have an oxygenate in it of some sort or it would knock like hell if used in any sort of high compression engine.
    It might be lead, MTBE and ethanol free but it has to have something added. Whatever that something is you're potentially breathing in the fumes from it.
    Which may or may not have any consequences.

I either empty my gas tank or keep it topped off so that condensate from the empty part of a partially full tank doesn't end up on the bottom of the tank, which will eventually foul the carb. Whereas ethanol is hygroscopic, when surrounded by gasoline molecules, it is fairly protected from the environment. Unfortunately the shelf life of those protected molecules is rather short ( I always figure the shelf life is 2 to 3 months) and they begin to decompose and unfortunately yield those grey, goopy watery balls that gum up the works and also can cause/increase corrosion of soft metals like aluminum.

3. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

On the subject of battery tenders, has anyone used a solar powered one? My lawn tractor is stored in a shed that has no power.

4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My brother uses one on his dump trailer battery...seems to work OK...

5. Semipro

Semipro

I use a solar charger to maintain a larger automotive battery that I use to jump off equipment (tractors, mowers, etc.). I also move it around to equipment in rotation as needed so batteries don't get too low.
    They work as long as they are large enough and get sufficient light.

6. Cheepbeer

Cheepbeer

One thing I always do is pull my small engines to tdc,if possible. I guess it’ll leave the ridge in the top. This is from the go cart race engine builders. Makes sense, though .

7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Say wha...? About the only thing I can think of is it would keep mice from coming in through the exhaust port (on larger engines)...and maybe keep from having one or both valves from hanging open (with springs compressed) on 4 strokes...

bogieb likes this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I think they are more concerned with the details for an engine that may sit on the shelf for months/years and rust just a bit and then be put back into high load, high rpm service.

bogieb, brenndatomu and Eric VW like this.
  9. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Every engine with a carb gets ethanol free fuel treated with Seafoam. In 2000 we got a boat with one of those new 4 stroke 90hp Mercury outboards. Worked great until a few years of running ethanol fuel in the 4 carbs. Mercury dealer claimed the ethanol blends with water and carries mineral deposits into those little holes in the carbs. New carbs was over $500. Got a gallon of carb cleaner and after soaking them overnight, blowing out with compressed air and repeating 4 times the carbs are working great. Boat starts every April and I don't run it dry or drain the carbs like the dealer recommended. Same thing with saws, splitter, welder and generators. I know water will blend with alcohol, just didn't think about it carrying minerals into the carb and then evaporating leaving the minerals behind.

bogieb likes this.
  10. Semipro

Semipro

I respectfully disagree with your source.
    Where would the "minerals" come from? Liquid water with mineral content would have to be the source.
    Even rainwater won't have minerals. You'd have to add tap or well water to add minerals. Ground/surface water could enter underground tanks at the fuel station but we've gotten pretty good about preventing/catching that.
    Water in fuel in equipment tanks is likely entering as a vapor via vented storage cans or vented tanks and dissolving into the ethanol in the gas as distilled water (which has zero mineral content). Some liquid water could enter via the tank cap vent as rain, but again, no minerals.
    What your dealer thinks is "minerals" from water is the by-product of your carb corroding away. If brown, it's rust. If white, it's probably aluminum.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  11. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Semipro
    Good point. I've never found rust or aluminum film in the carbs. Tank is plastic and I never have water in it. Whatever it was it took a lot of carb cleaner and compressed air to get the holes open. I'll have to do some research on what can dissolve in a water ethanol solution. I just know with all my carb engines, ethanol free fuel and they fire right up.

metalcuttr and bogieb like this.
  12. bogieb

bogieb

Rain water can be acidic and corrode metal - maybe that was what he was thinking of instead of minerals?

brenndatomu likes this.
  13. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Found this
    https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy17osti/69001.pdf
    From the conclusion
    Sulfate salt deposits were found on clogged terminal filters and turbine meters, clogged retail fuel filters, and malfunctioning consumer vehicle fuel injectors used for E10 in 2004 and 2005
    The guvmet report is from 2017 and determined the salts are from the ethanol distillation process

Interesting read if you're into that kinda thing. :whistle:

bogieb, Semipro and brenndatomu like this.
  14. Semipro

Semipro

15. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

16. bogieb

bogieb

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  17. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

I get my carbs from beer! No harm in that.

bogieb and In the Pines like this.
  18. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

After replacing the battery 3 times (@
    at least $50 a crack) on my 4wheeler I put one on it. Going on 3 years now same battery. I think I paid $25 for a 2 pack of them at menards. I’m pretty impressed with it

Stephiedoll and bogieb like this.
  19. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

AC powered or solar? Would love to find something reliable solar powered, although it won't matter if I can get the garage de-cluttered.:rofl: :lol: Like that will happen.:emb:

bogieb likes this.
  20. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

Solar 0E564F82-69F8-444B-9F93-0135273D5F3B.jpeg

bogieb and Stephiedoll like this.