In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Winter Small Engine Storage: Gas Full (w. Stabil) vs Gas Empty

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Dumf, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Warner

Warner

2. Dumf

Dumf Banned

M2theB and metalcuttr like this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Using a kit like that was exactly how Honda had us do it clear back in the early ninety's...it works.

M2theB, MikeInMa and metalcuttr like this.
  4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Whoever first mentioned ethanol free deserves a gold star. That junk has ruined many a gasket and gummed up many a carb. Complete garbage, but hey...its a renewable fuel.

They ruin everything that actually works. Oil based paint, asphalt, gasoline. The poor consumer takes the blow. The nit wit liberals who vote it in but have never run a gas powered machine in their life. They're too busy trembling with fear in their 4th floor apartment under the covers at noon in their pajamas with their electronic device an inch from their face, thinking they're somehow important.

I wish I had E-free at the pump. Only E-free here is in the cans that are outrageously expensive. The Pure -Gas chart is of zero help. Every station it lists is either a small engine dealer or a similar place that sells the cans of pre-mix and E free. When I went to S. Carolina to visit a friend they had pumps at the gas station that clearly said ethanol free. That's what I want in Massachusetts.

5. TheJohnHarris

TheJohnHarris

I only run sugar free gas and everything stays topped off. Never had any issues.

6. yooperdave

yooperdave

Don't they have inspections stickers (weights and measures) on the gas pumps in Vermont or Maine?

bogieb likes this.
  7. yooperdave

yooperdave

Oh No! More expenses added to the cost of ethanol free gas! When/where will it all end?

Many of the stations around here even have a separate hose for ethanol free....dedicated to only that fuel. Some other stations use the same hose for ethanol laden gas and ethanol free gas. I have used both and never had problems after switching to ethanol free fuels.

8. Warner

Warner

Not something I would spend money on. The question was asked how can one verify the gas is e free. It’s a very simple test. That’s all.

9. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Yes Virginia ( see Santa Claus story ) , there are W&M Inspection Stickers on pumps.
    Butt--none that say "E free " or even that the octane is legit.......at least in Maine. As for Vermont .........
    Now for something completely different ( see Monte Python ) : pilots always checked their tanks ( fixed or chopper ) for water before flights.
    And, what about mixing alcohol with fuel in a beaker ? It was asked.:loco: :crazy::loco: :crazy:
    I get that gold star.:eek:

bogieb likes this.
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave

I understand completely. :handshake:

The OP seemed hesitant about spending the extra $$ for ethanol free fuel in post number 10.

I trust the weights and measures stickers adhered to the pumps. Making sure you get a gallon when the pump reads a gallon and making sure it is whatever octane advertised. Now if those seals are broken.....I'll have questions.

bogieb likes this.
  11. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Now David, the "OP" never stated "hesitant" about spending for E free. Never. Never. :faint::faint:
    In fact since you're now counting posts ( who has that kind of time on their hands ?:D:D ) , verify is that E free gas IS used in cold weather for the saws, AND for the 2 stroke outboard kicker.
    The ethanol does hell to outboard gaskets.
    And, like most of us, there is NO trust of those state W&M stickers. I checked: nothing about E free on the sticker. They only measure the quantity pumped and MAY do octane. Who the H knows ? Skeptics live longer.
    Good luck.:salute:

bogieb likes this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

All posts in a thread are numbered down near the bottom right of the post.

Yeah, the price of e-free is "pricey" at around $3. Good observation! Bad me for thinking you mentioned that meaning you didn't want to spend the extra $$$$.

Carry on.

I wonder if you can dial it back a notch or two and try to be less curt with your responses? Please? This really is a fun site and would like to keep it that way.

Thank you

13. Highbeam

Highbeam

It all borders on superstition. Just because one year you kept the tank full and the engine started next spring doesn’t mean that’s the answer. People seem to want to connect these actions to results when it’s really just luck.

One year I slapped the tank with my willy three times before putting it away for the winter. The engine ran great the next spring. So now, because I’m experienced, I slap my willy against all fuel tanks three times each fall. It works! 100% success!

JCMC, MikeInMa and bogieb like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

*Note to self: never ask to borrow Highbeam 's OPE! o_O :eek: :faint:
    :rofl: :lol:

M2theB, Farmchuck, Highbeam and 4 others like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

That is the way it is in my neck of the woods. Sure, there are a couple of stations in NH that sell it, but most are up north (and as you say, the Pure-Gas chart is of no help because of all the "garbage" listings). The closest one is over an hour away - and not in a direction I travel, so making a special, 2.5-3 hour, 90 mile round trip trip to get 7-8 gallons of gas in the gas cans is not worth my time or trouble. It might become more of a priority if the Seafoam didn't work for me though.

I do buy cans of pre-mix for the leaf blower - which I assume is e-free. Since most of its use is for cleaning my pellet stove exhausts (LBT), then a couple of 3 minute sessions during Autumn to blow the leaves out from under the ramp, one of the tall cans last quite some time. I think I'm on my third can since I bought the Craftsman leaf blower off CL in the fall of 2014.

WeldrDave, yooperdave and brenndatomu like this.
  16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Thanks for saying so yooperdave.

The members of this great forum are adept at policing each other. Please take heed of their concerns when directed this way.
    Thank you - Moderating

bogieb, wildwest, raybonz and 4 others like this.
  17. Warner

Warner

I don’t think using fuel without ethanol the ingredient known to cause problems is the same as slapping your Willy on the fuel tank. IMO

18. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've been able to get E-free in NH. Fortunately, I've been able to be in NH for other events and get a gas can filled while there.

It surely would be nice to have local availability.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    M2theB, bogieb, raybonz and 2 others like this.
  19. yooperdave

yooperdave

For sure!

Isn't there some sort of national offenders list against gas engines a guy could check to help prevent the borrowing of equipment that fall victim to said practices against tools? Heck, if not, we could start one here. It would be beneficial!! :yes:

:rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol::rofl: :lol:

20. Dumf

Dumf Banned

Fine. Then Dave ( and a couple of you ) , also "dial it back a notch" and less "curt " with the posts from this end ?
    As the kids in the playground once said: " some can dish it out, but can't take it ".
    Yes, it is fun .
    Thank you.
    P.S. Appreciate showing the numbers....did not notice them.

bogieb likes this.