In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WinonaRail's Wood Yard

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WinonaRail, Sep 7, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I hear ya. The new normal. I usually grunt and occasionally curse depending on what I'm doing. I always say it could've been worse.

T.Jeff Veal and WinonaRail like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That stinks. Do you have a fan for the woodyard? Any shade?

Did ten bundles yesterday. Still no word on the 100 order yet. Ill deliver 30 in the next couple days to the one who is getting low.

3. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I can't say I really like it but it was my own fault. I'm definitely thankful to have the whole appendage.

buZZsaw BRAD and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

the good news is the A/S is back on at work. I have a couple fans I can use (big ones) and 2 canopies so most things can be done under cover. But when it gets past 90, I'd rather avoid it. I made a few bundles just after 6:00 this morning to beat the heat.

Glad you can deliver some to recoup the cost of your time making bundles! I actually had a customer come after work yesterday and loaded a large stack into his truck in the heat. Can't imagine wanting a fire in the weather but glad for the sale!

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    When it is 90 F out, I can't picture it being fun to sit out beside a camp fire. We decided to take a holiday from firewood and fires so no campfires for us on this holiday. The only time it would have been nice, the mosquitos were so bad, I wouldn't want to be outside.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Does your assembly/processing area get any shade? Luckily full shade where I do bundles.

May deliver 30 today to one of my local customers.

WinonaRail, T.Jeff Veal and MikeInMa like this.
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Delivered 30 to my best regular late yesterday. His rack is almost full.

Drove by this roadside stand. Stopped to inspect the quality. Seemed nice and dry. One bag was nuggets and shorts. IMG_5650.JPG

8. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I totally agree. I'm looking forward to cooler temps to enjoy a fire again but people are still buying wood. They're a little crazy.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

9. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I do most of my work on the driveway. Cutting, of course, is in the wood yard. Nearly zero shade. That's why the canopy comes out regularly this time of year.

I got a message from one of my customers that has an Airbnb on one of the local lakes yesterday. She placed her first order of the season. She has me take 8 bundles and stack next to the garage. On top of the price of the bundles, she pays me $26 to deliver every 3-4 weeks during the summer.

10. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Hopefully that rack empties out soon. I'd expect big sales around the 4th of July so he'll probably need another delivery before long.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats not bad. How far is it? Do they need to be wrapped?

I've thought of listing bundles on FBM as the 100 bundle guy isn't coming through as I thought he would. He said maybe 500-600 by labor day and that was back in March when I brought the first and only 100 to him.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

The rack pictured I don't sell to. I happened to pass it and had to satisfy my curiosity.

13. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I set aside most of a tote of split cottonwood and pine (which I never use). It's probably an hour round trip by the time I unload. Apparently they don't have anywhere to stack so they always order bundles.

You might be able to deliver lots of 10 bundles (or more) to make the delivery worth your while. With delivery charges of course.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I do free delivery within five miles of woods location. Fee per mile after that. They give me the address and I'll quote. Maybe I'll throw a listing up on FBM.

T.Jeff Veal, eatonpcat and WinonaRail like this.
  15. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I was referring to the one you do sell to. I'm like you. I like to check out the competition.

Sent from my QTAXIA1 using Tapatalk

16. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I charge per loaded mike from my house. But most of my sales are picked up so I rarely deliver within 5 miles. I do have some lake customers that are close.

Sent from my QTAXIA1 using Tapatalk

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Gotcha. I don't often stop and check them out. If I get gas at a station I don't use, i'll look at their bundles and ask what they sell and buy for. At $4 wholesale I'm seriously doubting I'll get any new stations. Seems most pay $2-3 each.

T.Jeff Veal, WinonaRail and eatonpcat like this.
  18. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

That's precisely the reason I don't/won't sell to stations. Even big firewood operations have small margins at those prices. And I would be giving the bundles away. Plus, quality typically doesn't seem to matter to the stations and box stores. I'd make significantly more money getting a part time job at Burger King. So I'll keep my firewood stand and continue delivering to my lake customers.

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

"Would you like fries with your bundle of cherry"? :rofl: :lol: Very true.

If I actually kept a tally of my time from harvest until delivery to calculate my pay I'd probably cry! :tears:

Ill inquire as I'm always curious what they pay. The only way I'd get more stores is through referral. One guy gets extra and brings to his other location himself.

Still no word from the 100 bundle guy. Had some time so a threw together another 15. Passed my two pother locals and they have plenty yet.

20. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

If you get bored check out Woods Tree Farm on YouTube. He delivers bundles and SMALL loads (less than half truck loads). He has a website set up where people order and pay, including calculating delivery cost. Then he decides when to deliver to he can take multiple orders at once to maximize his fuel usage and time. Since you're not in a position to have customers pick up, that kind of operation might make sense and put some extra cash in your wallet (if you're interested, that is).

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.