In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WinonaRail's Wood Yard

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WinonaRail, Sep 7, 2021.

1. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I admire your discipline. You're almost there! I'm still holding off making bundles. I got more wood split over the weekend that should be dry before the 4th of July. I'll load up the roadside stand the week before and watch it disappear.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well it was either make 15 bundles or unload yesterday's cut next door. Kept it on the PU and will split today right off the PU. Besides I had to talk to my friend and he wasn't home so while I waited. I texted him this morning and no reply. Mebbe I'll call later.

Do you make bundles as needed or keep some ready when needed?

T.Jeff Veal and WinonaRail like this.
  3. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Initially I tried to keep a few ahead. I have a pallet on casters in my barn where I kept them until needed. Right now I'm limited on dry wood so I just make when needed to refill the stand. That gives me options to either make bundles or fill loose stack bins as needed. If I can get the inventory built up, I'll probably go back to stocking 12-18 bundles in the barn. I definitely like the ability to just grab a couple every time someone buys some.

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

That is nice especially when you are pressed for time or unexpected excessive sales. I did another 15 today. Up to 90. IMG_5593.JPG Reset the bundling jig with some scrap 2x4's so its entirely under cover. Some other pics from behind the wood shed. Literally in the woods. Peaceful spot. Sounds of nature when I'm assembling. The stack covered with the black is all white oak heartwood. had nowhere to put it at the time so he said I could put it there. IMG_5592.JPG IMG_5594.JPG IMG_5595.JPG

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    Trip is going well. We are not burning firewood this trip. Didn't bring an axe, fire starting torch or a chainsaw. campinspecter nearly brought the small electric chainsaw but decided no. Most of the time it has been too buggy to even sit outside.

6. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

It looks like you clear some ferns out and get a few more cords back there! I do like the idea of a covered bundle making area. If it's sunny and hot I bring the canopy out. A permanent roof would be better.

7. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Sorry you haven't been able to enjoy the outdoors much. That's definitely my favorite part of camping. Still, you're having the trip of a lifetime so enjoy!

8. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Another good day at the firewood stand. A mix of stacks, bundles and kindling sold totaling $80. That's good for a Tuesday. The weather was perfect. Hot temps are moving in today.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Always nice to home to. Keep up the good work Gary! :salute: I noticed my main bundle customer didn't have many bundles sold when I got gas there the other day. With my current bundling marathon maybe I'll just keep making them up. I need that bay empty before I can start restocking it as I stack from back to front and use the wood the same.

I had an inquiry on the 1/4 cord of mulberry I have on FBM. Guy wanted to pick it up, but I don't offer that as wood is not on my property.

T.Jeff Veal, WinonaRail and MikeInMa like this.
  10. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

If you keep making bundles at the current pace you may have enough on hand to fill all your orders when they come. That would be handy!

So far today the sales have been smoking wood: 2 bags of mini splits and 1 loose stack. I have lots of bins to fill when I get home!

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sweet. Keep it up!

As I was making another roll of precut wraps tonight I thought of that. Started splitting the rounds from last years cut in his yard. Bundle splits getting tossed in the old part of the shed for now, Drying process starts and at least under cover. When that section empties the stacking will commence. The wood was somewhat twisty like a braided pretzel, but straight for the most part.
    Brought the weed whacker over and did some trimming. IMG_5597.JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  12. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Going vertical huh? I do that sometimes but usually I just noodle. Seems much easier that way.

13. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I filled 2 bins at the stand after work before I had to leave. About that time I got a message from a cutter I buy from occasionally - the same guy that sold me a load of nasty crotches and limb wood. He said he had another load of mulberry. The pic he sent looked like black walnut. I had just finished making 6 bundles when he showed up. Sure enough - black walnut. There were a few shorts but overall it looked pretty decent.

He said he had more of the same and I said to bring all of it. He drives a beat up Ranger and tosses the splits in so it's a fairly small load. Typically it fills 55% of a tote. I told him I'd pay $50 for each full IBC tote (after stacking). He wanted more and we settled on $55. He's coming back with a trailer and plans to have at least 2 full totes. I'll have to resplit about 60%-70% of it but I can still make a little money and I never have to leave home to get it.

After I got home again, another $40 loose stack had sold so I ended up at $90 for the day. I paid $30 for the partial tote full of wood.

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Not that often I do go vertical or get the splitter to a cut. Ill noodle when cutting at a score. Need to keep the mess at a minimum here. The 4x4 piece of OSB is a big help as is my cushion.

Didnt get any bundles done yesterday. Hoping to today. I sent him a text and no response. Ill make a call today.

T.Jeff Veal, MikeInMa and WinonaRail like this.
  15. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I see what you mean about the mess. I generally do all my noodling at home so it doesn't matter.

It looks like a game of hurry up and wait for the bundle delivery. In the meantime, if another customer calls, you're ready to go.

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yes. I have the time now with my work schedule getting changed daily. Job juggling as I call it.

All my others ate up his "original" bundles and are filled up. My best customer may need some and I can top him off at my convenience. I get gas there today.

T.Jeff Veal and MikeInMa like this.
  17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Woohoo! HVBW! You can get a huge premium!!! :makeitrain" I used BW for bundles a couple years back when I was short on bundle wood. Supposedly BW burns with pretty flames as there is iodone present.

Paying for wood makes me cringe but you do what you have to to make a buck.

T.Jeff Veal, WinonaRail and MikeInMa like this.
  18. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I buy probably about half of my wood these days. My main tree service guy is practically out of business so I don't get many logs coming in.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  19. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I came home for lunch and found more empty bins. 2 stacks, 8 bundles and 5 bags of kindling gone. My work is cut out for me![​IMG]

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I sure hope the cash box reflects the empty bin space.