In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

WinonaRail's Wood Yard

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by WinonaRail, Sep 7, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

THAT $#%@$! :headbang: :mad: :hair: Is cash the only way to pay? One reason that shies me away from having a stand...somewhere.

A respectable amount though.

T.Jeff Veal and WinonaRail like this.
  2. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I agree that the price is cheap but it's basically "waste" wood that I want to get rid of. I waste NOTHING but bark. I'll find a use for that someday. I also don't put business cards in the mini bundles so that saves about $0.02. Otherwise the cost is about the same.

It definitely makes sense to do all your bundles in the same location. Have you thought about a side by side or golf cart, possibly with an ATV trailer, to move wood instead of a wheelbarrow? It's still a lot of handling but could result in fewer trips.

3. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I have QR codes posted right next to the cash box for Cash App and Google Pay. Along with my phone number in several places throughout the stand. There's no excuse to say you couldn't figure out how to pay, although it's still theft regardless of someone's understanding.

To put all this in perspective, I did over $12K in business last year with less than $100 in loss and actually got a few tips along the way. The net loss is literally a handful of dollars so in no way am I looking to stop selling firewood. I just get ticked that I work hard to produce a quality product for a fair price and a few people think that they can just help themselves without paying. I'd love to be able to withhold 10% of their weekly paycheck once and see how they react.

T.Jeff Veal, John D, Chvymn99 and 5 others like this.
  4. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Sounds like me with my chunks and nuggets even though I charge the same as regular length splits.

I joked with my friend about getting an ATV to move wood out of his woods. There are several dead standing white oaks plus he lets me harvest trees. The main issue is the yard. When wet is like a saturated sponge so it would tear it up. Even pushing the wheelbarrow through it can be tough.

I do bundles here at home, but only when the wood is ready. Ideally I'd like it to be in the Winter but with sales and space availability it doesn't work out that way. Still slowly filling up one stack. Just had an idea. Been pulling year plus old oak splits from bundle stacks and want to dry them another year. Maybe I'll bring some here.

How's the weather looking for this weekend there? Expecting more good sales? What is an average sales weekend int he Summer?

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Aholes! Yeah good on you for not letting it get you down. How do you work the cash payment? Cant that be easily stolen?

6. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

How about talking your friend into paving his yard so you don't have to deal with water? :whistle::rofl: :lol: There's nothing like processing wood and making bundles without ever leaving home. It's so much easier to go out even for 30 minutes to get something done.

It still boggles my mind how long it takes for oak to season the way people split and stack it. I can take healthy green standing oak, split small and stack in IBC totes. It's less than 20% MC in 6 months. I realize the size of my splits is way too small for those that heat with wood. But it's all about turning inventory for me.

There's rain in the forecast through Thursday then 5 days of dry weather with temps mostly in the low 70s. It looks ideal for campers and backyard burners. I probably average $300-$400 per week between Memorial Day and the end of September. The average week for all of 2023 was $228.

7. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Cash payment is easy. I picked up a locking box on Amazon for about $25. People drop money through a slot in the top and it opens with a key. Put a couple lag screws in one of the racks. I've never had any damage or even evidence that somebody tried to get in it. And it really isn't that robust but, as I've stated before, most people (I'm speaking of rural northern Indiana) are decent honest people. Probably 92% of payments are cash. Just the way I like it. :D

T.Jeff Veal, John D, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Just a paved, even a gravel driveway to the back would be sweet.

That's amazing with oak. buzz-saw splits his small like that for the following Winter.

Did another 15 bundles tonight. Ill do more tomorrow. Pulled some chestnut oak splits to bring back here. CS January 2023. I figure two Summers will suffice as it will go for bundles next Spring.

Yeah cant beat having it at home to work on. I would take my time and start the fire outside too. Probably wont be for another 9-12 months before that happens again.

9. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

There's nothing in my wood yard dating back to January '23. I wish I could say there was. I need to make some bundles tonight, probably not as many as 15 like you're doing. Still a little grass to cut in the back yard.

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I have some oak that's from 2020. With your drying system you rotate inventory fast. I'm still impressed with that fast drying oak.

I did another 15 late this afternoon. Grabbed a wheelbarrow of TP splits next door, brought home and added to the stack "under" the house. Disregard the clutter (most is framing lumber scrap I'll try to sell.) but its out of the rain. Another row of splits to go there. This area holds 1.75 cords. IMG_5555.JPG This stack behind the shed (three rows deep) is 2.25 cords. Finished that in April. Disregard all the stuff. IMG_5560.JPG

11. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I'm pretty fortunate to still be cutting and splitting logs I've had on the ground for 6-12 months. Nearly all of it will be sold THIS year. And it will be dry.

I admire how you use every available inch to stack firewood. You would melt down if you had almost 5 acres like me. You'd probably feel compelled to keep at least 50 cords on hand. :thumbs:

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well between my four location I think I'm in the neighborhood of 50. I have four here at home, four of BL right down the street, maybe ten at bundle storage and +/-25 next door to there between front and back.

FIVE acres!!! :faint: Id be having logs dropped off instead of hunting it down.

There is a tree service across the street from my two main storage areas. He has offered free wood. I think I'm getting close to talking with him. If I can cut and split at his place and move splits to stack plus a source for black locust.

Warner, T.Jeff Veal, jrider and 3 others like this.
  13. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I officially have firewood inventory envy. You definitely keep as much on hand as possible.

If your tree service guy is willing to let you process at his place and then take the splits with you, that should save you lots of time. Of course you may not always have primo BL to work on but surely you can find enough quality wood to keep your stacks full.

14. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Had a good day of sales at the roadside stand yesterday. A $20 stack was gone when I went home for lunch and a $40 stack was gone after work. I had to leave for a while and found 3 bundles gone when I got back. I had just gotten the truck out to load wood to restock the stand when a guy pulls up. He got a stack of oak for camping this weekend. Totaled $100 for the day. I have lots of restocking to do tonight. They are calling for good weather this weekend.

15. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

Last week ended fairly well at the roadside stand. Total sales were $305. My average sales per week year to date are $198. Loose stacks of mixed hardwoods continue to lead the way at $180 total for the week.

A high school classmate stopped last night while I was mowing. Hadn't seen him since graduation. He picked up a $40 stack and wants a tote of shorts and uglies for his seasonal campsite. His wife loved having the CashApp QR code to scan at the stand.

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Good deal. Always interesting to run onto former classmates at our stage of the game. I ran into one when I had the splitter fixed over the Winter. He was in auto shop (I went to vocational school) and did small engine repair.

Im at 60 for bundle count on that 100 order. Did 15 on Saturday. Haven't heard from him yet. My regular guy hardly sold any as I got gas there over the weekend.

17. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I guess it won't hurt to finish the 100 bundle order even if the customer isn't ready. If he's like a lot of people, he'll call when he has 1 or 2 left and want you to deliver immediately. At least you won't be under the gun.

T.Jeff Veal, buZZsaw BRAD and John D like this.
  18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yes. Did another 15 tonight so up to 75. I should finish the rest over the next couple of days. I was gonna text to check in.

T.Jeff Veal, WinonaRail and John D like this.
  19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We were at a big grocery chain store today. A bundle is .75 cu ft at $13.00 CAD/$9.50 US Packaged in plastic.

20. WinonaRail

WinonaRail

I hope you didn't buy it! I've felt like $5 US that I charge is a bargain. Maybe I need to double the price? Nope...I don't believe in ripping people off. I hope the trip is going well!