In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wind Damaged Maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Jul 30, 2017.

  1. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    We haven't had that many high wind events this spring/summer but the last winds we had brought down this branch so I'll drop the rest of the tree this fall.

    We have another in a different area but I can't find the picture.
     

    Attached Files:

    Hammy, Woodwidow, HDRock and 7 others like this.
  2. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Nice score! Looking forward to the fall winds?
     
  3. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    Not the winds but the cooler weather. I see you've been working your azz off, nice work.

    I still have a bunch of work to do, I won't say I'm behind.......yet!
     
  4. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,155
    Location:
    Central MI
    Ah yes, definitely the cooler weather is something to look forward too. But Zap, you are supposed to be out there fishing now!
     
  5. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    I haven't purchased a license yet, we are planning a trip to the St. Lawrence so maybe before that I'll get it.

    The wet summer has me behind on the stacking but I'll get caught up on that.
     
  6. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,155
    Location:
    Central MI
    If you get caught up, I could use a hand or two. :whistle:
     
  7. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    You should look into the auctions they have on fort drum. I won 5 cords of primo black locust a few years ago for $300. Cut and stacked logs, gravel toad right too them.
     
  8. thewoodlands

    thewoodlands

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,040
    Likes Received:
    62,334
    What did they do, clear some woods?
     
    Hammy and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. Woodsnwoods

    Woodsnwoods

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2015
    Messages:
    3,067
    Likes Received:
    20,081
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    They selectively clear logs off their property since they have so much land and an active forestry group. They have three methods they use.

    One is they knock all of the trees down on the active base area, and you pay $25 per cord( three trucks full), first come first serve. The second is they log off an area and set aside a hand full of log piles in a secure area, outside of the active base. It is then auctioned off to the highest bidder, and you have 2 or 4 weeks to remove it. Third, and more for commercial guys is they will mark trees over 1 to 5 acre parcels. It ranges from a few cord, up to 50 cords of standind hardwoods. It is auctioned off to highest bidder with 2-3 months to drop and remove it. Not for the weekend warrior as you will need to skid everything, drop it properly as everything is clearly marked to the base of the stump. There are also access restrictions as these ares adjoin the training areas. You can find unexploded mortars for example. When I lived and worked on the base, it was great! It should all be listed in their website unless something has changed. Enjoy :dex: