In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why didn't Noah swat those 2 mosquitoes on the Arc?

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Greenstick, Jul 16, 2018.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Yep, same here. I noticed that driving in to a remote job site about ten years ago. Recently I've been seeing that along my driveway. And they're relentless! :hair:

2. BCB

BCB

I bought one of these last month. Sprayed my property twice so far with it (every 2-3 weeks) and haven't seen a mosquito or tick since. Its pricey but you break even after the 1st year vs hiring one of those spray companies to come out once a month.

SR 200 Backpack Sprayer | Lightweight Power Weed Sprayer

3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Looks like fun! What chemicals are you using in it?

5. BCB

BCB

I'm using the generic version of Talstar called Bifen. Talstar is what the services around here are using. Bifen is the same stuff but much cheaper. I think its like $15 for a 16oz bottle. I only use 1 oz of product per treatment. I haven't seen a stinkbug in the house since I started spraying either. I make sure to spray around the windows and doors to keep them out also.

6. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

Stinkbugs are another nightmare since about five years ago. They stay all winter in the house. My wife hates those buggers. Might just try this if it is possible to get rid of them. They start in the early fall here trying to get in the house.

TurboDiesel and Backwoods Savage like this.
  7. BCB

BCB

I've had good success with stink bug control with this Cypermethrin also in addition to the Talstar generic I'm using. You can mix either in a garden sprayer and spray around your window and doors or any spots where they might find their way in. I noticed a big reduction in the amount of stinkbugs in the house after spraying for them. Occasionally there will be one clumsily flying into the wall or lamp and ill just grab it and either flush it or chuck it in the stove depending on the season lol. I hate those things.

8. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

I grab em and flush em most of the time. The first fire of the fall usually takes out a dozen or so who’ve taken up residence in the stove. I’m going to try spraying the stuff you suggested around windows and doors. I can’t stand stinkbugs either, and anything I can do to reduce them would be fine. Thanks for the info.

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

Stripes painted on the body protect against blood-sucking insects
    The Swedish and Hungarian researchers who won an Ig Nobel Prize (in 2016) for discovering why white-haired horses are the most horsefly-proof horses, and for discovering why dragonflies are fatally attracted to black tombstones have published a new study, extending their work—to use painted stripes to protect human life.

[​IMG]

A report in Forskning, in Swedish, explains [here is a machine translation of that]:

Stripes on the body protect against blood sucking insects

Painted stripes on the body protect the naked skin from insect bites. It is the first time scientists have managed to prove that body painting has this effect. Painting the body thus provides protection against insect-borne diseases….

A Swedish-Hungarian research team now shows that body painting provides protection against the insects. A brown plastic model of a human attracts ten times as many brakes compared to a dark model painted with light stripes. The researchers also find that a beige plastic doll that they used as a control model attracts twice as many blood sugars as the striped model.

According to Susanne Åkesson, professor at the Department of Biology at Lund University, it is the first time that researchers find experimental support that body painting reduces the risk of insect attacks….

[​IMG]

The experiment was done in Hungary. Part of the research team is based at Eötvös Loránd University.

The study is: “Striped bodypainting protects against horseflies,” Gábor Horváth, Ádám Pereszlényi, Susanne Åkesson, and György Kriska, Royal Society Open Science, epub 2019.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

11. Midwinter

Midwinter