In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who's Using A Grapple ?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by HoneyFuzz, Jan 27, 2022.

1. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Thanks, A dealer is about an hour from me, so I went and looked and was sold, it took quite a while to get here but worth the wait. Didn't go for the backhoe, just the loader
    They loaded the rear tires for weight, this way I can use the 3point hitch and not have a ballast box hanging off the back. Came with the bucket for the loader and a set of pallet forks when it arrived. Just recently picked up a snow pusher box and just ordered the grapple. I did also add a light bar and a couple rear facing lights that work really well. Tractor Light Bar 2.jpg

2. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Hey buzz-saw,
    I didn't see this post before we talked the other day. You'll love the versatility of a grapple. It's the most used tool I have on the farm. I would absolutely be lost without it. In the beginning, I was pinching hoses. Moving brush occasionally pushed hoses into pinch points. I bought a couple of those springy hose supports and solved the problem. It's a huge design flaw between Gehl and Edge Attachments.
    Enjoy, HD

3. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Should come in handy , had it long enough.
    Now it's time to 'pimp my ride "

4. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I think I like those wood tongs better than the grapple. Nice.

5. Screwloose

Screwloose

Okay I'd like to say that the loaded rear tire statement made me wonder if you are skipping the weight box. The main value of a weight box is not keeping the azz on the ground but to be a counterweight to take weight OFF of the front axle.

6. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

This! The more weight on the other side of the rear tires the better! Well to a point anyway…

7. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

I have wheel weights and a heavy tiller on back that I use. Wright on the 3 point is essential

8. J bird

J bird

Amazon had my kit. I just searched “Kubota MX5200 3rd function valve ” in the search bar and it came right up. Absolutely get one however you do it you will not regret it for a second.

9. Screwloose

Screwloose

IMG_20191012_182610742.jpg
    This is my counterweight. The box was set in a kiddie pool of water and 800 lbs of molten lead poured in 50 lbs at a time. Covered by a steel plate it almost appears empty. Makes for a handy storage space. Compressor is very handy as I blow the saws out before filling the tanks. And working in the heat you can cool the boys off. The lead came from wheel weights that I collected from tire shops and the compressor was a non runner off Craigslist.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  10. Screwloose

Screwloose

I think it's looking at me.

11. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Makes perfect sense.
    Still learning here.
    Thanks for the feedback.

12. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

They both have their place. What's nice abiut the grapple, don't have to wade into the brush to hook it up and it will pick up logs too small for the tongs. Then the tongs will handle the really big rounds...

13. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Ha! My wife likes to cut wood with me. If she used the compressor like you do, that would certainly add a new meaning to "whistle while you work!":whistle: Sadly; if I get her a compressor, she won't need me. :rofl: :lol:

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

20200731_150403.jpg
    Anybody pull a well pump with a grapple ?

15. Spencer

Spencer

I used to have a little JD 2305. I am still amazed at all the stuff i accomplished with that little guy. If i couldnt lift it, i would drag it

Chvymn99, HoneyFuzz and Screwloose like this.
  16. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

I always learn as I go. If I were doing it again....and I didn't need to tie the grapple in on the loan...id order a grapple like this. With the serrations cut in to grip logs better. Sometimes while carrying 2 or 3 logs...ill hit a bump...and the logs will slip out :( Then it's my favorite game...pickup sticks !!
    But it works great anyhow...just nit-picking !
    Screenshot_20220202-152527_Chrome.jpg

17. jrider

jrider

To the grapple crowd...can you cut logs while holding them? I have forks on my tractor and balancing the logs can be tricky at times but I can make every cut with the log at waist height

18. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Do you walk back & forth from each end of the log cutting so it doesn’t tip off the forks or do you chain it onto the forks so it can’t tip off either side if you cut to much off the other end?

HoneyFuzz, Chvymn99 and Screwloose like this.
  19. Screwloose

Screwloose

Yes you can do that and it works well. You should still try and keep it somewhat balanced by cutting some off each end,

HoneyFuzz and Chvymn99 like this.
  20. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

X2
    I've threatened to make some sort of claw...or bird beak looking thing to claw or clamp logs so I could cut more of the log up in the air easier.
    But so far..I make do !

Screwloose likes this.