In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who's That Munching on My Wood?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MrWhoopee, Sep 13, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

found this guy feasting on one of the maple rounds i split yesterday. Punky center. Find these often in punky wood in any season. The last two pics are a winged version (pupated) of whatever was tunneling through a hemlock round i split and it fell out of, at my friends last week. It couldnt fly yet. It is not a bee...no stinger and had a "tail" which im holding. IMG_0895.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0890.JPG

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  2. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

No expert in this subject at all but the winged insect looks like a parasitic wasp. The "tail" being the way it injects it's eggs into other insects for them to brood in. I'm pretty sure it didn't come from that larvae worm thing. Unless it hatched out of one that was consumed.
    Fairly certain the larvae is a type of beetle. Destructive little bastards. Sometime come up with over a dozen in one split.

T.Jeff Veal and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

makes sense. Im familiar with the wasps doing that on other insects and spiders too. Ive seen bunches of grubs in splits too. Plus the other ones under the bark. Bet they dont have an issue of enough fiber in their diet!:stirpot:

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Yep, they start out small under the bark and then bore in deeper. The wood we are processing right was cut in Nov '18. The grubs at under the bark or just starting bin the wood. Birds love them. When we had chickens and found lots of bigger ones, they had treats. IMG_20171124_120502878.jpg

buZZsaw BRAD, jrider and Thor like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive found bunches at a time and brought them back for the birds as well. Left them on a piece of bark on the deck table and later they were gone.

metalcuttr and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

This oak was dropped Nov '18. Looks like it's just the right time to be processing it. Bark is just getting loose a little. Grubs are just under the bark. IMG_20190917_203549089.jpg IMG_20190917_203732360.jpg

imwiley1 likes this.