In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who's got an indoor "gasser"

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by fuelrod, Dec 22, 2016.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

I can, what happens (I think) is that it burns faster and consumes more air than the fan can provide and you get a "chugging" situation. My gasser is very simple "electrically", just like me :whistle:, no O2 sensors & "stuff". All my electronics are available at any "Graingers". I am just about ready to start the boiler and the woodpile had 1/16 - Jan, 2016 (split & stack date) in crayon on the end of a split. I am curious how it will act.

2. fuelrod

fuelrod

Gas & I have the same boiler! WoodGun brothers:thumbs: I was just at their place in PA last week picking up some refractory.

Gasifier likes this.
  3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hmm, OK maybe there is something to this then...I have been playing with a gasser furnace here of late...not entirely impressed so far...they are telling me my wood is too dry...I said what?! They also call for 20-30%...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. tree killer

tree killer

Are the Wood Gun boilers forced air or forced draft? Mine is a draft suction fan and the only time it puffs is occasionally right after filling it or when the wind is howling outside and forces down the chimney. Other than that I never see any problems. I have messed with the air flaps a few times trying to get the ideal burn but who knows.

5. fuelrod

fuelrod

I'm confused with the terminology but it's a down draft, sucking (all the) air through the fire.

6. RCBS

RCBS

Can someone drop a link to a manufacturer website? I am unfamiliar with this type of heater. Need input! :nerd:

Is it gasification related? Propane mentioned? School me please.

7. fuelrod

fuelrod

Home - Alternate Heating Systems
    I like the simplicity and the fact they are made in PA. There are ton's of them from Europe where they have been widely used. Many of them have highly sophisticated electronic monitoring & controls that are "proprietary" major components.

RCBS likes this.
  8. fuelrod

fuelrod

To be fair all those electronic controls add to the unit's efficiency and I would think their ease of operation, but have to add to their cost and must be sourced from "across the pond" and that might really put the "squeeze" on one in the middle of winter with trouble. I doubt the efficiency is that much greater and at what price does it come, after all most of us cut our own wood and have plenty of it so "is the juice worth the squeezing?" My WG is the only wood boiler I've had so I really speak from little experience. :zip:

RCBS likes this.
  9. tree killer

tree killer

That's the same as mine. Suction fan on the outlet. Supposed to be much better than the blower on the front.

RCBS likes this.
  10. fuelrod

fuelrod

I stumbled across the "Wood Gun" and AHS years ago on the internet, never heard of wood "gasification" and the first I ever heard of it was reading about the wood gun. Being totally un knowing I thought that they (AHS) invented it:loco: :crazy: and they were built about an hour and a half away from where I used to live so I went to see them (a little north of McConnellsburg PA) We were discussing back up options and I was interested in oil, they offer it but actually talked me out of it telling me that the "environment" in which the oil burner would be is not very burner friendly and suggested a small separate stand alone oil burner would be much less service and ultimately more reliable. Anyone that's honest enough to undersell you an option is well on the road of building my trust. Anyway gasification is the way to go for wood efficiency and the environmental benefits are a plus as well if that's your thing.
    Propane, I don't remember it being mentioned although it is a back up option.

RCBS and Gasifier like this.
  11. nsmaple

nsmaple

Suction on outlet = induced draft.

Blower on inlet = forced draft.

fuelrod and RCBS like this.
  12. nsmaple

nsmaple

My dealer:

Smokeless Heat

Mine is natural draft - the UB 40. Only controls on it is to turn pump on when it gets hot and off when the fire goes out - ca't get much simpler than that, and I like simple. It burns wide open until the fuel is all gone. Going into winter 6 with it. I have an electric boiler for backup, but we only use that maybe 2 days a winter. It's very expensive to run - if we needed backup for anything more than something that infrequent I would get something else for backup.

fuelrod and RCBS like this.
  13. chris

chris

milw saw - give me a call mr. b's blades

14. Flamestead

Flamestead

Just saw this ad and knew a few of you have something similar...
    Wood gasafication boiler E140

I’m not ready to take the plunge, but hearing the dammed oil furnace run during this cold spell has me looking.

brenndatomu likes this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

It's the the next size up from my model. If you have any thoughts on a indoor boiler, I'd be racing over there pedal down!
    My boiler is running hard right now, well, the past week or so, but my 40x64 shop is 60* and the house is toasty. It's temps like this that an indoor boiler shows it's advantage's, all the heat that the unit throws off is in your living space where an owb's "latent" heat drifts off in the back yard. Yes there's the wood inside and sometimes a little smoke but both of those can be dealt with. Seriously for $2k I'd go get it for a standby / future replacement!

Flamestead and brenndatomu like this.
  16. nsmaple

nsmaple

+1 that. Unless that boiler has been seriously abused that is a great deal.

Flamestead likes this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yah, no kidding! It says he's willing to barter/negotiate too! :yes:

Flamestead likes this.
  18. Flamestead

Flamestead

I’m not going to be able to get it, but I was afraid it was a good deal based on what I’ve read here. My dream is the boiler at the shop, with pipes to the house, and I have space for storage at the house.

But I’ve got a daughter getting married this year, just convinced my wife to accompany me on a business trip, and the quote to replace some slates on the roof came back over $5,000 (fear of heights can be expensive).

fuelrod and Gasifier like this.
  19. chris

chris

height dosen't bother me but that first misstep is real hard on a body

Flamestead likes this.
  20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

hey Flamestead how many slate either pieces or square foot? do you have the slate or is it missing?

chris from personal experience it's not the fall that hurts.. it's the sudden stop at bottom:eek:

Flamestead and brenndatomu like this.