In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whoops… a “small score”…

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by FarmerJ, Jan 2, 2023.

1. ole

ole

The farmer and my son in law work in a large warehouse for the U. About 2 days a week farmer shows up for work in his truck pulling a dump trailer full of wood. Farmer just charges delivery from the parking lot. He only sells in full cords and he does not stack. He has no problems at all getting the $560. All hardwood and “garunyteed” dry because farmer has time and a large concrete barnyard with no cattle to dry his wood.

2. jrider

jrider

Have you looked into what trucking would cost yet? That would be where I start. Also, does it HAVE to be for several years? I'm sure that's what the guy wants but he may be happy finding anyone to take the logs from this year.

3. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I guess you'd have to crunch the numbers to see, but I'd think that since OP has a rig already, just sell that trailer and buy a log hauler/crane trailer...DIY it...might not pencil out though, dunno

4. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

tractor is impractical for this situation. Not to say a guy couldn’t trade it all off and get what works.

5. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

He’s got a fleet of semis already to be able to haul it…

I’ll find out the transportation cost on Friday, but since the wood cost is $0.00…:makeitrain"

pretty sure it will be dirt cheap compared to cord cost.

I’m trying to do everything I can to get out of trucking entirely so for me, it’s just beneficial to pay for it.

I don’t want to log, which I likely will to cut the logs to length. He’ll use his excavator to load the logs onto his side dumps to transport to my place. At no more than 5-12 miles, it’s not far.

all I want to do is focus on selling firewood.

6. Warner

Warner

My luck I’d make the investment and the log guy would get sick or go out of business. Might want to figure costs as if you were paying for the logs?

Horkn, Screwloose, Softwood and 5 others like this.
  7. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Even if I limit my sales…

I could put up a LOT a of wood quickly to just ride the rocking chair and drink shine. Making the occasional deliveries.

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

It all sounds good but before making the capital investment for equipment how do you know the "free" wood will continue to be free? Or available at all for the matter.

9. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Texts / conversation since the original discussion is showing this stuff is mainly ash. This county got hit hard. So it will be restricted for movement unless it’s heat treated.

so is it really a good “find”…???:sherlock:

10. jo191145

jo191145

certainly keep an eye on things. Not sure what Minnesota regs are. Here in Ct they banned wood to within county lines. Then they rescinded that when they realized you can’t stop EAB.

11. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Used to be the mn dnr had you register and certify the wood. That is not anymore. But they still talk about heat treated wood for transportation and USDA certification…

12. Chud

Chud

Might be why he couldn’t find a taker. On the up side you’ll have ash for life.

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Second upside is it will be dry enough to sell as "seasoned" pretty quick. You will have happy customers.

14. Screwloose

Screwloose

I don't know when the bugs killed his trees but if he's only bringing Ash I'm sure the quality of the logs he will be bringing will gradually degrade.
    On the other hand if he's hauling it I'd think the transportation risk would be on him.
    How does anyone really know where the wood you are selling came from.

15. jo191145

jo191145

Seems you can’t move it out of the infected counties. Anywhere inside seems open game. Question then becomes where you are and how far you expect to sell it.
    Links provide a map of counties for EAB and another link for some moth. It’s my understanding if the tree is dead the EAB are long gone already.
    You’d also need to question the integrity of these logs.
    I see no reason this guy wouldn’t deliver any quantity you want. What’s his other options? Pay dumping fees?

Minnesota - Don't Move Firewood

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good luck with your endeavor...
    Get a kiln and dry it too.
    Wolfe Ridge splitters are very nice.

17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

18. Horkn

Horkn

Here's another one locally Screenshot_20230104-002205-516.png

19. Horkn

Horkn

They did the exact same thing here in Wisconsin. Now you just can't go over state lines with it.

20. FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Finally got to the cutting today.

for the semi to haul it over, it’s $250/ truckload. At least for now.

I started cutting around 8 am today and figured I’d fill the trailer up first and then start stacking on the side. Figured I was going back for lunch, may as well bring a load with me at lunch and supper times.

seems those are the only two full loads I had all day and then started making a third tonight.

nice having the skid steer and a grapple as it makes moving this stuff Childs play.

this is actually just one tree. I had to limb it and used the grapple to get all the trash out of my way.
    IMG_9414.jpeg

22’ log I bucked into three pieces at the 16” mark at 7’ and 8’ areas.
    IMG_9413.jpeg

Digging my way back to these was probably more hassle than it was worth. Again, had to limb it all out etc and then hauled it out with the grapple in 12’ lengths. At least there’s three sections I got off it.
    70483972058__32F0F78D-8EF7-4E57-9B5F-6C101F4E229D.jpeg

28”x12’ cottonwood log. Brought it back to take two 6”x 12’ slabs out of the middle to make a bucking table. Buck a bunch of wood up, run it through the splitter and up a conveyor into a bin is my plans for now. Bins should hold 6-8 cord depending how big I make them.
    IMG_9412.jpeg IMG_9411.jpeg

what is hauled over so far today.
    IMG_9414.jpeg IMG_9417.jpeg
    The load on the right and half of what’s on the left is just one tree.
    IMG_9419.jpeg

Seems someone else went into the site last year already and cherry picked out what they wanted. What’s mostly left is huge cottonwoods.

batteries were dead on the drone or I’d have taken better video. Faster than walking the site.

any way I look at it, there’s two other sites for me to get wood from as well as this one this summer.