In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who still doesn't have leaves yet?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by NH mountain man, May 8, 2016.

1. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I hear ya.

Horkn and wildwest like this.
  2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

A little bit past budding here in the Blue Ridge of southwestern Virginia......
    image.jpg

milleo, Horkn, Shawn Curry and 6 others like this.
  3. papadave

papadave

Looks like summer, Eric.

Horkn, Shawn Curry, Sean and 3 others like this.
  4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Ok, so those trees above have leaves:whistle:
    These, off in the distance do not:
    image.jpg
    There, that's more appropriate to the thread.
    Sorry y'all.
    :rofl: :lol:

5. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

When we were up in NH 3 weeks ago, we saw the buds just starting. We returned to pa and had mini leaves starting. A warm week, then a full week of rain, we now have this.......

1462727597911.jpg 1462727642282.jpg

milleo, Horkn, Shawn Curry and 8 others like this.
  6. Jon_E

Jon_E

Buds just starting to pop here. Most people in the area are on their first lawn mowing. A few flowers here and there. Apple trees loaded with buds.

7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I expect there are some buds, but leaves are still a few weeks (or more) away.

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

yeah I got buds but no leaves yet almost on lilacs they should be first but it's cold today!

Horkn, Shawn Curry, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  9. Oldman47

Oldman47

Bud break on everything here but many are fully leafed out. The apples and pear are already past their blooms and are setting fruit. The lilacs have already gone past flowering.

10. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

The trees can't finish blooming fast enough for me. Ah Choooo!

11. fuelrod

fuelrod

The first "color" here th.jpeg Trillium.
    The soft Maples are just leafing from buds. Skunk Cabbage is poking through and the ferns are also.

milleo, Horkn, Shawn Curry and 5 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Plant your corn when the oak leaf is the size of a squirrel's ear. I hope to plant tomorrow.

The leaves really came on in the last week here. Apple blossoms are starting to open now; maybe 10% are open but the rest should open in the next few days. Some maples are still in the bud stage while others are starting to make leaf.

Fiddleheads are coming up but have not opened up yet. I expect they will be open within a week.

Water has gone down a lot the last 2 days but still really wet in the woods. Problem is rain is forecast for 6 of the next 7 days... Hopefully it will be just a few light showers.

Horkn, Shawn Curry, Eric VW and 3 others like this.
  13. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

We're still waiting for the Lilacs, they are little purple buds an inch or two in size.

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My Red Maples are about 50-75% leafed out...the Oaks have little mini leaves...the Lilacs have started blooming a week or so now, pretty light blooms this year. Same with the flowers too, Tulips and Daffodils didn't do too well this year, I have mowed 3 times, well, 2.5 times actually. The first time was for the grass that was growing like crazy, just in some spots though, goofy weather hot-cold, hot-cold, hot-cold. Stupid Dandelions are going gangbusters though! :headbang: :hair:

Weather related sidebar here, my insurance agent sends me an email the other day about the new policy my ins co has put in place, automatic $2500 deductible on wind/hail related claims (regardless of your ded. previously, unless you wanna pay more for a lower ded. of course) he said all, or at least most, ins companys in Ohio have done this because of the high weather related losses the last few years. Makes me mad enough to spit nails that I didn't make them replace my roof (like everybody else) a few years ago when we had hail damage. I thought that wouldn't be right because it is an old roof, and I was gonna replace it anyways...so now I've paid for 100% of mine, and some of everybody elses too! :headbang: :hair: HO ins has almost quadrupled in price since I bought the place in '98 ...makes the property tax look like a good deal, it has only tripled...:makeitrain"I guess I'm a stress eater, because all of a sudden I need a snack! :beerbbq:

15. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Just starting to leaf out here.
    Apples and pear are done flowering. Leaves are thin. Lilacs in front of house are looking sad but may turn out ok. A week will tell.
    Skunk cabbage must like the cooler weather. Knee high in many places.
    1st hay crop looks like it will be thin.
    Its DRY here. I have a spring that runs nearly year round . About the only time it quits running is a few weeks in late august. I tiled it between my shop and mill building about 15 years ago and ran the tile around a fire control sistern and then out into the main drive in the lower log/equipment yard which kinda makes for natural dust control most of the summer. It has dam near dried up and stopped running,,,, in may . :bug:
    We get a good rain and it will green up fast.

16. Will C

Will C

Southern Tier of NY-trees are budding. Grass is growing like mad-mowing every 3 days at my Mothers house-she lives on a gravel flat. Let it rain 1/4 inch one day and the grass is 2" higher the next!

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

We had a very hot day on Friday followed by a bit of rain.
    The leaves are just starting to come out now.

18. Blackop555

Blackop555

19. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    And expect your premiums to go up even further once the bill is paid on the fort mac fires.

NH mountain man and gboutdoors like this.
  20. Sean

Sean

Kootenays, South Eastern BC Rockies Canada
    Yeah us as well. With El Nino we are almost a month ahead I figure. Ive mowed the lawn twice now and my apple tree just put out flowers. Looks like the snow is melting quick and I bet I can hike to the alpine on some of our local mountains. Im expecting another dry, hot, dusty, smoke inhaling, stinging eyes from yup you guessed it forest fire smoke kind of a summer.

NH mountain man and gboutdoors like this.