In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who is doing who the favor?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Juniper Hill, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

When a tree company or homeowner calls and says they need wood taken away, who is doing the bigger favor. The guy picking it up is doing free work for the homeowner and saving them money but he is also getting something valuable for free. I know time and labor blah blah but we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't want to. I think its the hoarder doing the bigger favor for the homeowner/arborist. But I'm the hoarder so I might be biased.

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Put in the category of neighbor helping neighbor and then it does not matter.

4. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie

Yes! I’ve followed your posts for a long time, man. You definitely get “it.” Can we clone you?

5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Better to clone someone better than me, but thank you.

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Backwoods Savage ok maybe not clone you; we need you too teach a class called .. “It’s common sense.. or here’s a short piece of rope”

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Hoarder saving homeowner lots of money for sure. With no equipment other than a saw and PU we work very hard to retrieve the wood. Lots of tree guys dont want the wood and its more or less trash to them. Some of my scores ive told homeowners this prior to them getting a price and they are more than thankful! Even if its just a few hundred bucks its money in their pocket and wood in my truck!

8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I agree, it's win win win for all. For a tree guy to come in and not have to clean up what falls is huge. He passes that savings on to the landowner and the hoarder gets the fuel. :handshake:

9. Horkn

Horkn

It's absolutely a win win win for all three sides. The homeowner saves $, the arborists save time and money by not having to truck and usually pay to dispose of the wood, and the hoarder wins with only having to do the" fun" part (to us at least) by getting future firewood.

10. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

It is a win win situation but the hoarder is doing the bigger favor. But who is really keeping score.

11. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Two fantastic responses. Couldn't agree more.

If more people could interact in this way in other endeavors, wouldn't life be a little easier for everyone?

12. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

Also having worked for my tree service buddy a few times now (just when he needs help) I can tell you with 100% certainty that at the end of the day the last thing those guys want to do is make firewood. If they never see the wood again good riddance! I didn't want to even think about it I was so tired.

13. Irishman29

Irishman29

One hand washing the other.....Thankful for the opportunity to help someone out & score some wood!

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Some of the small jobs ive done i feel the same way...especially in the hot weather. Really dont wanna think about moving the wood again.

15. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I look at it like any other business deal, if everyone walks away with something of value then it's a success. Dennis is right on with helping others out when it's needed, but we are supposed to do that expecting nothing in return. I can't count how many times I've seen him do that & I'd bet I don't know but a tiny fraction of the good he & others here do day to day. You really can't go to far wrong when everybody walks away with what they wanted from the transaction imo.

16. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

What I’ve seen around here and it seems from the 25-35 ages is advertising free wood. But you have to take brush and all after you get there.
    That definitely seems to be getting taken advantage of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. LordOfTheFlies

LordOfTheFlies

When I make arrangements (whether it's a scrounge or fbmp or whatever) I always make it very clear that I'm going to take some of the wood (basically whatever can fit in my truck but only if they are *nice*) and that I'm not there to take everything away. If I can come back and make multiple trips I will but it depends on the situation.

What I will do if I have to buck is to rake/sweep/blow sawdust and debris and not leave a mess that I made. I think it's super important to make sure there is clear communication which is why I always get permission in writing (text or email).

18. Horkn

Horkn

Absolutely. The brush is a whole different story. You want me to take that? You'll need to pay me.

19. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Agree! More times than not I'll turn away the get because of that.

20. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, brush is for a chipper & chippers aren't cheap. That's gonna cost ya.