In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Who finally shut down their stove ?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Russell, May 23, 2020.

1. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

We are not done yet.....
    Yesterday the stove ran until mid day.
    Big one has been off now for a couple weeks or more....
    Normally we are pretty well done by early June....EXCEPT for the occasional spot fire if we get a shot of cool weather after an evening thunder storm....and this can happen through the summer.
    It was 70 F in the house this morning at 4:30 am and it has dropped to 69 F a few ago.

We may end up with a fire before it's all done today.

Hot weather coming mid week though.

A fire is possible any month of the year around here.

I need to do the season deep clean on the big stove and close it down for the summer..
    We have never used it past May.

The little stove in my avitar is the go to critter for the moderate season.

2. bogieb

bogieb

I broke down and unpacked the P43 and started it up once I realized the promised sun wasn't coming (nor the 70* outside temps). Took almost an hour to get the air temp up to 69*. Hasn't run since but will probably run once tonight. Tomorrow morning I will have to set up the mobile A/C before starting work at 5:30 am. I already had it set up, but had to take it down since it exhausts out a window not far from the P43 exhaust.

ivanhoe, Camber, Russell and 4 others like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz

Hit 85°F today
    :bug:

Sunny and dry though.. so it's a win :thumbs:

ivanhoe, imacman, bogieb and 3 others like this.
  4. Russell

Russell

Great to hear from everyone . Have a good Memorial day !

Attached Files:

ivanhoe, imacman, jtakeman and 4 others like this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz

Cheers sir
    :cheers:

ivanhoe, imacman, Russell and 2 others like this.
  6. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

Living on the seacoast can be good. Usually not as much snow due to the seabreeze. In the summer when it's 90 inland, we can be 70. However there is an in between season...as in right now....where everyone is a nice 70 degrees and due to the seabreeze I am foggy and 49. I got home from walking the dogs and it was 60 in the house and falling so I kicked the stove on for an hour or so. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70 here then it may get hot if the wind comes from anywhere but the ocean. I usually put the stove away in June and I guess this year will be as always...just maybe later in June.

ivanhoe, imacman, Russell and 4 others like this.
  7. Camber

Camber

we are still are burning. never really ever shut down. I usually get a week or two where I don't need a fire, but wood is our only real source of heat. If I'm feeling rich, I'll let the kids and wife run a milk house heater in the bathroom for showers, or a soak.

ivanhoe, imacman, Russell and 3 others like this.
  8. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

If they are around again next season you could try those vanderhoof platinum pellets? My stoves really like them. Otherwise, theres typically LaCretes too...

jtakeman, imacman and bogieb like this.
  9. subsailor

subsailor

I burn a lot of Platinums. I find them to be a long pellets like North Country, which PelletHound seemed to view as a disadvantage. Personally I like them for that reason. The P61 has no problem with them and they don't seem to burn as fast as the small pieces in the Lacrete bags. I think a 50/50 blend of Platinums/Lacrete would be a very nice combo but I've yet to try it.

10. PelletHound

PelletHound

North Country burn great.I just hate the loud banging sounds they make when the slide plate cuts them in half.It bothers the wife more than me so to keep her highness happy it might be Lacretes's or something similar next year.

11. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

In that case, you are not going to like the Platinum Pellets. In my P68 they do exactly what you just described more than any other pellet I’ve ever burned. They are a long pellet to begin with and there are plenty of *really* long ones in each bag as well. Mind you not every batch has been like this, but most have so if you like the LaCrete, they may be your best bet.

Note: a little birdie told me FS in Seekonk plans to bring in some new pellet options this season, pricing and details should be posted on their site in the next couple weeks, so we shall see.

12. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Sub it looks like Sib is selling the Wood & Sons pellets - are you planning to try them this winter?

Chazsbetterhalf, bogieb and imacman like this.
  13. subsailor

subsailor

They carried them last year as well. I probably will stick my formula of a ton of MWP in the fall and spring and Platinums in between. The main reason for this is the stove dealer where I bought my stove doesn't jack up the per bag price like most others do. If his ton price is $300 then his bag price is $6.00. So I can buy 10-15 bags a week and maintain an inventory of 1 ton at all times. He also sells Lacrete so I do have options. I won't buy a ton of Woods & Sons without trying them and I won't drive 25 miles to buy 5 bags from SIB at an inflated price. If I see them locally, I will try them.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I will admit, I have not unplugged mine just yet. :(

No worries it's plugged into a UPS. :D

15. subsailor

subsailor

I unplugged mine yesterday because thunderstorms are possible for the next 5 or so days.

16. gbreda

gbreda

Mine was finally unplugged 2 night ago. Actually capped the vent several weeks ago when the humidity started back in and noticed it was still plugged in to the UPS so made it officially end of wintah on June 25 and pulled the plug :yes:

17. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

We had the little stove on yesterday for a few hours.

Usually we are done with fires by second week in June.

Rain possible by mid week....More fires possible me thinks.

Strange for July

bogieb, jtakeman and Chazsbetterhalf like this.