In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Whitfield Advantage - Large Ash hits ash dump tab

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by don2222, Jul 7, 2018.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    I am working on this Whitfield Advantage III.
    The large ash pan does not slide out because it hits the ash dump tabs. The right one more than the left on but especially the center ash dump tabs for the ash dump under the burn pot!
    Nothing obviously wrong is standing out here?
    Does anyone know how to fix this?
    See pics
    1 - Stove
    2 - Ash Pan hits tabs on center ash dump
    3 - Stove with ash pan removed - Had to pry it with a screw driver to get it out!
    4 - ash dump under burn pot
    Note: Ash dump under the burn pot does not close all the way like the left and right side dumps do. Therefore the ash pan must be behind these tabs to close all the way!

Attached Files:

2. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

That stove is a lot different than the Advantage II T

3. don2222

don2222

Yes, the Ash Pan and ash dumps are just like the Travis Lopi & Avalon Pellet Stoves. They were good stoves too but Travis stopped making them when the AGP stove came out. :-(
    Although I never saw a Travis that the ash pan would not slide out! This is strange. Any Ideas?

4. don2222

don2222

I think I see the ash pan removal problem!
    The front bottom right side of the pedestal of the stove is bent up which in tern makes the top of the ash pan to high and hits the ash dump! See pics. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Good News, when I put in the T-Stat jumper the control panel went from start mode with the lights flashing to run mode with the heat level and fan level lights on constant. Once it got into the run mode I could control the fan speeds and the auger timing seemed to work good. The new exhaust blower made the lazy flame go away and by taking all the parts out, I found the damper could not be pulled open all the way and the exhaust pipe inside had a lot of clogged ash in it!
    After the panel went into run mode the fire died out again and I know that run mode is when the safety switches kick in. So I blew into the Vacuum Switch and heard nothing. Then I blew in harder and heard a click! Now I hear the click every time I blow in!
    So I sprayed the black primer inside the back today and tomorrow, I will spray the Satin black final coat inside the back.
    See new video of fire and control panel.

6. don2222

don2222

I called Whitfield for or IHP for a manual and they said this II-T & III manual would do it.
    It does not look like the original but has more technical stuff. What do you think?

Attached Files:

7. don2222

don2222

Hello

I just checked the burn grate in the stove. It is the 13 bar 6-7/8” wide burn pot not the 10 bar 5-1/4” Burn Pot! That means it is the Advantage Plus!
    These grates only fit the Quest Plus, Advantage Plus and Cascade!

I also learned that not all Adv Plus stoves came with the Igniter. However all the Adv Plus stoves come with an Igniter tube! This stove has the dummy tube. The Igniter will screw into the dummy tube but how does that front cap come off?

Attached Files: