In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

White oak seasoning?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Stihl Kicking, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Sandhillbilly

Sandhillbilly

A round the size in the picture?? … if it’s a standing dead elm it’ll be good when it hits the ground. An elm or hackberry that size that was taken alive I’ll split in half and give the hackberry about a year of dry time and the elm 2 years.
    Just my experience with my 2 most readily available species, ymmv.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Over 4" i split in half. Under that i leave round. If i happen to harvest a whole tree i take down to 3". Put them in your 3 year rotation and you'll be fine.

3. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

I've gotten access to a LOT of tree tops this year, this discussion will help me better decide what size to split. I'll be splitting a lot of thick branches, most will be 1 or 2 split size, but there will be a lot of limb sizes to grab as well. Limb sizes serve a good purpose for the stove. Fortunately I'm about 4 years ahead at this point, so I have the time to let the larger limbs sit, within reason. Most of what's available is white oak, shingle oak, and some hickory. From what I've read shingle oak takes as long to season as white oak, possibly longer.

4. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

I'll have to keep a beer can around to help determine whether to split it or sit it. :whistle:

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

6. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

Enjoyed the video and article explaining the why and how of white oak for bourbon. I've wondered how the barrels are made. I enjoy sipping bourbon, after a day of cutting white oak, I've got the craving. :rofl: :lol: The Kentucky Bourbon Trail is on my to do list. :thumbs:

The same characteristics that make white oak good for barrels is also what makes it good for building ships.

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Dang, I thought you were referring to how long to get the moisture out of that can...

8. Backwoods Savage

(2) Primer on Woodburning by Backwoods Savage | Firewood Hoarders Club

9. Backwoods Savage

Even fresh cut wood if burned down to coals will give you that! We used to burn slabs at the sawmill and even fresh cut cottonwood will give you a hot fire.

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

:rofl: :lol::thumbs:

11. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

12. Stihl Kicking

Stihl Kicking

I didn't take the moisture meter to it, but it still had a high count. Just needed a little more seasoning. :rofl: :lol:

13. Meche_03

Meche_03

A lot of oak barrels are made in Lebanon, MO right off I44.

I split everything if it's for firewood. The bark and cambrian? layer trap alot of moisture in the wood. Big pieces get the bark and about an inch, inch and a half split off so the heart wood is all open to the air.

Old rule of thumb I was told growing up in MO is a year per inch to age oak. i.e. every inch from a split surface needs a year to dry. So you only measure from an exposed surface to the middle. I split a lot of oak into roughly 4x4 pieces. It will dry faster. It's easier for my wife and kids to handle when I'm not home. It will burn faster in the stove too. I keep a few pieces bigger for overnight burns during the cold of winter.