In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

White Oak Scrounge!

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by RabbleRouser, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post

I usually take one of my ramps with me if I get involved in some like that. A lot less hard on the back to roll them up and in.

2. SD Steve

SD Steve

Dang, you guys with nicer weather get to grow oaks. Up here in the Dakotas the only Oak that will grow is White Oak. But remember, all the trees around here were planted by people. Not natural growth. This is prairie land. That's why all the trees are in straight lines. The best wood around here is European Ash and American Elm. Black Locust will grow here but that is hard to come by. The trash wood that I'm burning this year is my Cottonwood and Box Elder. I picked this stuff up before I knew the difference in heat output.

3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

White oak there must be highly coveted if you find it in firewood availability. I always jump on it if I can find it here as it is planted by people as well. Not a native tree but usually a product from Oregon. Garry Oak but not always. Still a good bit of wood to use.

Black locust: hands down for this heat king. I guess I can’t find a better substitute because physically there isn’t one. I had a massively good supply of it then I moved around, had to sell some. It’s incredible how much it throws the heat when it’s been split nearly 3 years and standing dead when it was brought down.
    Cottonwood I’ll take. It’s just light light wood when dry. Doesn’t last awhile but I couldn’t say it’s terrible when you wanna get something going fast. That way all your good wood you put on later gets helped out with your lighter quick burning woods!

4. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

No worries, I appreciate the suggestions.

This place was barely a 1/2 mile from my house so I figured I go down and see what was there, take what I could and go back with the splitter the next morning. Even though it was only a bit after seven, it was dark and on association property with neighbors that aren't my neighbors, didn't want to be hammering away & disturbing the peace.

I could have left the big rounds I did take till the next day but figured my son could get a lesson in working with what you've got & some first hands physics lessons.

The large rounds were also knarley as can be where multiple trunks grew together again and again, so lots of crotch material that wasn't going to respond to the maul or even wedges too well.

This time of year is odd for me, getting dark early, I feel like I'm supposed to go into quiet mode after dark, even though if it was summer time I'd still be working away for hours after that time as long as it was light.

5. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I jinxed myself; tweaked my lower back this morning splitting some white oak that was already manageable sized. I was splitting on a hill and reached too far to pick up a split that went flying. Should be ok and a day or two, but go figure.

The Wood Wolverine and Midwinter like this.
  6. SD Steve

SD Steve

Lol, some of my Cottonwood actually have mushrooms growing in them. Like I said it's all trash. Just burning it, cuz I have it.