In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Which mower?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Jul 28, 2019.

1. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Maybe they would hold it until yours sold if you put a down payment on it...

Chaz, Horkn and eatonpcat like this.
  2. Horkn

Horkn

Never mind, I thought that there was possibly a Toronto in the states, because Toronto in Canada is a bit of a drive from anywhere in ND.

3. Horkn

Horkn

Exactly.

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I was at Tractor Supply a month or so ago. I saw I think a 54" Cub cadet. Had a welded deck huge HD looking casters, I can't remember if it was a Kawasaki or Kholer engine but it was pretty good size at least around 25hp. Nice seat, lots of options it looked and it was only $3000. That's a heck of a price on a ZT mower that size , just look at what Lowe's wants for their stamped deck 42" Huskys or JDs. I have a pic somewhere in my phone.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just about garantee it did not have serviceable hydros...

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

You think? I have an Airens 42" ZT with welded deck. I got mine free from a good friend that was tired of it. It leaked oil, had the common issue that many kholer mowers have with blown heads. I put about $125 so far into it and it's perfect. Had 280 hours now and I put like 30-40 of those so far on it. Anyway it has serviceable hydro gears.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    T.Jeff Veal and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Wow, that's unusual on those small units...sounds like you scored on that one!

8. Horkn

Horkn

clemsonfor I know what model of husky you are talking about 54" deck, Kawi engine. It does not have servicable hydros. Hydrogear EZT to be exact. For the money, I'd rather get the ariens ikon x 52. 52" fabbed deck with the kawi vtwin, it had the same hydros, which are all over the place on non commercial units, and it cuts better than the slightly bigger deck on the husky. From what I have found, unless you abuse those ezt units, they work well on residential use for a long time. I think I also saw ways to change fluid on those to extend the life of them.

Dakota Hoarder and brenndatomu like this.
  9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I read somewhere that some people have figured out how to service the sealed units...Seems like the ones that get into the 4-5k range start to get hydros that have an oil reservoir.

Dakota Hoarder, brenndatomu and Horkn like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

Yes, a simple oil extraction pump. Replace with synthetic and they run even smoother.

eatonpcat likes this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yes, drill n tap a drain hole. Then you can fill through the vent hole...but it takes about an hour per qt.
    That's what I did on my old Toro after it had issues the second time. You still have no filtering on it though...you could glue a magnet to the drain plug, better than nothing.
    And yes, dealership said to change to Mobil 1 synthetic...

eatonpcat likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Hydro drive is not new. These things just basically have two instead of one. I have a 1995 model MTD regular riding mower. It's got I don't know how many hours on it and how many acres of grass I have cut with it. I keep welding up the stamped deck. It stays at my farm and is used there untill I got this free ZT mower. I still use it on the ditch banks cause it will stick a side slope better than. The zt that just slides out. But that thing is hydro drive, sealed unit. I'm sure it's probably slower than when new and weaker but that mower was given to me free over a decade ago and it owes me nothing! I keep putting money in wear parts for it cause it's Rock solid reliable.

Horkn and Dakota Hoarder like this.
  13. Horkn

Horkn

True, hydro drives are far from new, but as the years go on, the manufacturers like to cheaper up things as they can, and still get buyers. Hence the " non serviceable" hydrogear rzt drives. I did a bit more internet browsing and found that you really can still service these units. This means it's a little harder sometimes to change the oil, but they still can be done, and you can still repair them too.

The welded/ fabbed deck is more than just a strength thing. Although a fabbed deck is stronger than stamped, they actually cut better.

That husky and the ariens I mentioned are essentially the same unit, except for the deck. That fabbed deck simply cuts better.

I have ( had) pretty much probably the same MTD lawn tractor as you. While I never towed anything behind it and simply idea it as a mower, the hydraulic transaxle failed a couple years ago and stopped any locomotion, forward or reverse. The deck is still fine on that 42" model, but it never cut very well.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

This is the mower I was talking about, went back and found my picture of it. It is a CubCadet. 17619.jpeg

I guess I could go look up if it has hydrogear filters.

This thing is beeffy. Makes the casters on the front of my mower look like toys.

15. Horkn

Horkn

I'm very familiar with that unit, specs wise.
    It has the hydrogear rzt drives. No filters. Same with the ariens ikon. you'd be better off with the ariens ikon x for the same money. The ariens doesn't have lights built in, but that's easily fixed.

eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

The mower I have is the Airens Zoom 42XL

These are terrible pictures but I took them in the pitch black outside.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Horkn

Horkn

I figured that's the model you have now based on the description. There's always a few of those for sale.

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think I posted pics between when you responded and I originally posted.

19. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

That cub cadet looks like a nice machine! I got the Dixon for sale now for $1000. If it sells it will be on my short list. The Hustler I was looking at sold already.

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Just checked , it’s got the Kohler engine, I’v heard the Kohler doesn’t have the best reputation especially compared to the great reputation of the Kawasaki. Should the Kohler be a concern?

brenndatomu likes this.