In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Where’s the Stihl 400?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chud, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

MasterMech in Stihl aren’t their levels of dealers also so the bigger dealers get better pricing options while little hole in wall, often better ones, pay an extra % or 2? I want a deal sure, I really want dealer without hour drive, that knows stuff not a rookie

2. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

That's pretty much the case with most OPE manufacturer's. The more you buy on a seasonal order, the lower your cost goes. Even that isn't a dramatic difference however. We're talking a couple % in each tier depending on how many tiers there are. And when the vast majority of the product is <$1k.... well.... it doesn't move the needle much. In fact, most of the volume is on sub-$500 wholegoods if we're focusing exclusively on handheld OPE.

This is why (good) dealers focus on service. That's really what keeps the lights on and grows your local customer base. Everything else is pretty much just in support of the shop. Of course this is expensive too as dealers must train technicians (with OEM support) and pay competitively to keep them in their shop. Even if it's a one-man shop, you must keep up with the new equipment you sell or everything you sell is just seeding trouble for you down the road.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Tell them to use the saws to cut through the paperwork...and the thieves. PITA but at they will come back eventually! Wanna hear your follow up on the 400.

4. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

Was at the Kubota/New Holland dealership and was surprised at their inventory.

Attached Files:

Dakota Hoarder, Horkn, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Called the "new" dealer a couple towns over and the 400 on back order there. Ill either go to the local guy and pay full price or road trip to Mass to see System's dealer.

Horkn, Ron T, Dakota Hoarder and 4 others like this.
  6. eipo

eipo

Finally got back in the wood yard after a couple set backs.

A fair bit of odd tree service wood to break down. After a couple hours with the 550, it was time to noodle.

The 400 is still relatively new as it showed up just before I went out of commission, so it’s not broken in yet.

Slapped a 24” bar on it to break down and noodle some larger pieces of silver maple and locust. Absolutely no issues…..

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. eipo

eipo

And a funny....

Its been so long since Ive looked into my saw locker, when I opened the lid and looked at the saws.... I have them arranged by size... I got the the 400 and thought... something isn't right here. 362, 562 to 500 with a saw sitting between them and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was. It looked just like the 362 from the top. I had to pull it out and look at the recoil to figure out which one it was.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

When I worked for the local bike shop they would annually put in a large parts and accessories order with one of the big aftermarket distributors (TR) and I know there were some pretty substantial discounts for hitting the top tier! They were able to sell some batteries and tires for close to what the listed "dealer price" was...not the same as OPE though I know...

9. Yawner

Yawner

Brad, you interested in a 400? I am considering buying one, almost pulled the trigger Christmas eve but I do not want to buy from the dealer who had it. I called several places and he is the only one who has it. Prices are $869 to $939 (his price) for 400 with 20" bar. I wish these were more available because I fear I don't buy his, I won't get one, they are backordered everywhere it seems.

My thinking on this is... saw weight is super important to me. I am 68 and not exactly a Hercules type, lol. Every ounce on a saw is important to me and my biggest saw is the 362 and the 400 will be 0.5 lbs heavier. BUT, maybe I could save that half pound by using a Stihl ES Light bar instead of Rollomatic ES. I probably want a 25 inch bar, so, that is more weight than a 20 inch. Hopefully, a 400 could pull a 25 inch no problem. I would likely also get the 400 ported after a few months. I have never had an m-tronic saw, I guess I would go for it.

This dealer I do not want to buy from, one of his reps told me the 400 is also available in a carb version, non m-tronic for about $20 less. I have seen zero info on such a 400 and have my doubts.

10. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

A ported 400 will pull a 25” bar and chain fine. Stock it has more power than an 044 did for comparison sake.

11. eipo

eipo

Stock 400 pulls a 24" bar fine.

12. Yawner

Yawner

Does anyone know if what I said in my post above is true -- a Stihl rep told me the ms400 is available in a carb version for $20 less. I have never seen info on that and have my doubts! Have you, buZZsaw BRAD ?

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

As far as i know it only comes Mtronic. I checked the Stihl USA site which verifies this.

Are you buying one Bill?

Horkn, Dakota Hoarder and huskihl like this.
  14. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

I have the 2021 Stihl catalog in front of me and there is no mention of a non m-tronic version of the 400 in it.

15. Yawner

Yawner

I couldn't find any info on their site nor doing a google search. Amazing how much misinformation a Stihl sales rep has.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if the local dealer would come off his price, which is the highest in the area. I really don't care for their dealership to tell the truth but it is the only 400 I have found. I would actually buy a 261 as well and sell my 026 and 290.

I keep considering the 500i and it's awesome, but it weighs a pound more. I would think a ported 400 would be about the equivalent HP-wise as a 500i. My ported 362 is close to all I need on the larger end of things, so, I figure a ported 400 would be sufficient. Who knows, I may get a 500i, I know where one is but, this is my current thinking. I wish I had the 400 right now, I need it.

16. huskihl

huskihl

The 362 is (or was) available both ways. And I believe the 462 is going to be made adjustable. Haven’t heard anything about the 400 yet

17. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

doesnt it come in the standard carb version already like the 362 and 661?

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  18. huskihl

huskihl

I don’t know if it’s available here yet or not. They’re available in Europe

19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You are correct. Only Mtronic sold in USA. Just checked the Stihl USA site.

20. Yawner

Yawner

Anyone know... does Stihl publish a MSRP for saws? I thought I had seen it on their site but now I can't find it. Wondering if a local dealer's $939 is ABOVE MSRP on the ms400. Lowest price I found in this area is $869. And nobody has one except for the high price guy, lol. And he has two!