In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Where’s the Stihl 400?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Chud, Feb 26, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thank you sir! :handshake: Did you mention me by name??? ;)

I stopped at a different OPE dealer i pass all the time and $909/919/929 for 18"/20/25 bars. They've never had one in stock strangely enough and a huge place.
    I guess id go the 25" route, keep the chain and use my 20" Oregon bar. Sell the bar as i have one already as well as 28". The 22" Carlton bar has become my favorite for the 500i as strange as it sounds.

Horkn and amateur cutter like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Interesting as the dealer today told me all Stihl dealers have to charge the same.

3. System

System

No, not true at all. They can't deviate from MSRP as far as they can on Husqvarna saws as there just isn't as much margin but there is definitely plenty of room to move if they so choose. I had a dealer a while back tell me that too. I walked out and found my current dealer and have never looked back...

4. farmer steve

farmer steve

That's why I drive almost 40 miles to the dealer I use instead of 1 mile to the Stihl guy down the road. Over $100 off MRSP on the MS400 I bought. Same guy down the road told me he could only do the buy 2 get 1 free chain deal when Stihl authorized it a few times a year. I asked the guy I deal with about it and he said it was up to the dealer if/when to do it. (He does it year round)

5. System

System

Same here Steve. I have a few dealers much closer that told me that "Stihl sets the pricing" and that there was nothing they could do about it. So, I take the nice scenic 45 minute drive... The only problem with my dealer's location is it's near a bit clothing outlet shopping center... and if my wife knows I'm going that way... lets just say, I'm not saving any money when that happens...

6. Chud

Chud

That’s what I do except it’s not 40 miles. There are stihl dealers everywhere. I go to a dealer in another town, because he will discount saws and put any size bar I want on the saw.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

When did you get a 400 Steve? You holding out on us? How long have you owned it and your thoughts on it?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

There are three dealers i can go to including the one in my home town (which has the 400). My regular dealer and the one i checked yesterday didnt have one. A new dealer opened a couple towns over so ill have to check them out. Have to head that way tomorrow...woohoo! :saw: :makeitrain"

9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Over a month ago. Needed a saw till my stolen ones come back. Only have about 4 tanks thru it so far. It's a sweet running saw so far. Been busy getting caught up on splitting.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Forgot about your theft. Hows that going?

11. System

System

My guy says for a 20" 400c it would be $800 plus tax Brad.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

where is he located?

13. System

System

Remember, I gave you their info via PM a while back? I'll send it again if you don't have it.

14. farmer steve

farmer steve

Because the thief took stolen property across state lines it's a big pile of paperwork. Him and his girlfriend are sitting in prison.

15. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Stihl sells via a rather old-fashioned OEM >> Distributor >> Dealer hierarchy unless things have drastically changed in the last 5 years or so. The only price Stihl sets is what they sell the equipment to the distributor for. The MSRP is just marketing. The dealer's actual cost can vary based on various volume ordering plans, whether or not they are Stihl exclusive, and their total annual sales volume.

I won't give away actual margins, as I'm probably very out-of-date, but I will say that price point or entry level stuff tends to be razor thin, while top shelf models tend to have a couple more percentage points to play with. Demanding a discount on an MS170 and being upset when it doesn't happen just seems imprudent once you know some of the real numbers. Moving off MSRP was (is?) entirely up to the dealers, and how competitive the local market was usually was the determining factor for advertised pricing. I knew of one shop, you could walk in with cash, and he'd be the best price around. But they certainly were the kind of shop that didn't want to spend much time helping you find what you wanted or looking up parts. Only a couple guys working the whole front-of-the-house plus a crew in the shop. You walked in with cash, part numbers, and wasted no time.

16. System

System

Come on man... give us the margins... I won't stop us from buying more saws. It would be nice to know though... :)

Horkn and amateur cutter like this.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

I'm genuinely curious, What would you think is fair, percentage wise?

I can tell you one thing, the margins certainly haven't improved since I was working in the biz.

The problem is, even if someone were to know the actual mark-up %, they usually are ignorant of, or choose to ignore the overhead costs. Then the knowledge of the actual invoice cost, becomes an unfair point of negotiation. I'd venture to say that if a dealer salesman spent 15 minutes with someone to get them into an entry-level saw, ring-up the sale, and prep the saw before it left the showroom, you're WELL into the red on that specific sale. Forget what it cost to keep that employee around for 8+ hours that day, and the costs of just turning the key in the door that morning. Even for pro saws, if you never see that saw again, you'll barely recoup the cost of selling it, especially if you're paying an employee to do so. Hopefully you sold the customer a couple chains and a hat before they disappear to go play with their new toy! :saw:;)

Dakota Hoarder, Horkn and Chud like this.
  18. System

System

I hear you and completely agree. New OPE sales are likely like new powersports sales or new car sales. They are NOT where the dealership makes its money. Parts, gear, accessories and service are the money makers. As to margin, I honestly have no idea. I'm just curious.

Dakota Hoarder and Horkn like this.
  19. Creekin

Creekin

Quoted a guy some repair work on his car a while back, told him $40/hour, he thought that was ridiculous even though it was less than half of any other shop
    Him and other customers believe what their bill works out to goes directly in the pocket,

Dakota Hoarder and Horkn like this.
  20. System

System

Yup, when cashiers at McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts are making $18 an hour, folks need a wake up call as to what skilled labor is worth for sure! Most have no idea what it costs to run a business either...

Horkn likes this.