In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's your favorite chainsaw boot

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MaineMtnMan, Jan 20, 2018.

1. tamarack

tamarack

After a few years of wearing georgia, carolina, and cheap hiking boots i went back to danner. They are what fits my feet best, and are somewhat waterproof. I have always used huberds boot grease, or obenaufs.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  2. hutchinsonkw

hutchinsonkw

I use a pair of thorogood steel toe rubber boots. They were fire dept boots but the safety label wore off so new boots were issued.
    Otherwise I use Wolverine steel toed work boots.

3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Makes the best pie crusts there is !! Perfect for cooking doughnuts in. . A fall bear that has been eating lots of berries is the best. The fat has almost no odor.

fuelrod and Rope like this.
  4. Blstr88

Blstr88

Ive been wearing Red Wing slip on boots for years...finally decided tonight they NEED to be replaced (should have been a year ago). Decided to try Danners. Ive had a pair of Gortex Danners for years that I use for hiking/winter use etc...not working so much (not steel toe, soft fabric boots) and I absolutely love them...so thought Danner work boots might work for me. Ordered these tonight:

Danner - Crafter Wellington 11" Brown Non-Metallic Toe

[​IMG]

I put a pair of these Neos Overboots on in winter when Im working outside...I cant recommend these enough for people in snowy/icy conditions. Waterproof, super warm, and the traction they provide is phenomenal. I replace the standard screws they come with with the carbide tip spikes they offer...I can literally go dancing on glare ice or walk up the side of an ice covered log pile and not slip at all, theyre incredible.

STABILicers® Voyager™ Overshoes

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I'm politicin the boss at work to get us the Arctic version for winter work. The Arctic has more insulation and is taller . With a very good gaitor top. They are fairly popular on The Slope.

6. Hinerman

Hinerman

Are they waterproof?

7. Red Elm

Red Elm

Haix Protector Prime in black. Love them. Warm, dry, COMFORTABLE!!! The ONLY complaint I would have is; they would be a little stiff if you had to walk more than a mile or so at the end of the day. Very supportive of ankles.

MaineMtnMan likes this.
  8. MaineMtnMan

MaineMtnMan

I am leaning towards HAIX. I was going to try these
    xr200-2017_600x600.jpg
    I think they're going to be on sale next week where I buy my work equipment.

9. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I do high end boots at my work and i can tell you a lot of issues arise from improper fit ( not all brandswork with foot shapes) also goes with styles. Ive had high end boots leak before and cheap ones last for years. I personally wear carolina usa made 922 non-ins, non-safety toe. I have lowa boots for day to day wear.
    Funny side note- most expensive boots i have done? Over 1500$ Full custom build. The guy went to wesco, whites, and nicks, and they wouldn't make him boots. His foot was so wide and curved so much they didn't want to invest in a one-off last. Off the shelf i got him a 10.5 9e boot and modified from there. Great guy, woodcutter. Got him a set of crary boots. Made in Portland Oregon. You take a cast, tracings and measurements as well as pictures. Its a hell of a process, but for some it's the only option. He usually wore out boots in 60-90 days as he was stuck with cheap orthopedic junk for his size. Hes a year in on these and doing great.

10. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I finally put Katie and her (2) shoe-of-the-month club memberships to work, along with her 84 pairs of high heeled pumps...

toe-plow-snow-plow.jpg

11. Nixon

Nixon

I’ve had a set of Haix boots for years . They take a bit of breaking in , somewhat heavy ,and I’ve never tested them to see if they work . Overall , I’m happy with their quality ,and fit .
    The End .

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    MaineMtnMan, Dancan and Red Elm like this.
  12. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I saw a few pairs of those haix boots at the logging conference this year. Pretty cool, but not sure I could get over the looks. Not bad, just different. I really liked the custom JK custom boots however. Looked more traditional, call me old fashioned.

I didn't see any of the snowplows that Katie has though... Do those only work with chevrolegs or would they work with lambofeeties?

MaineMtnMan and Ashwatcher like this.
  13. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

That's a nice looking boot.

MaineMtnMan and Red Elm like this.
  14. XXL

XXL

I recently found out that there is a limited time $250 Canadian discount on the Haix Protector Ultra Chainsaw boots. I just ordered a pair in Signal Red.

HAIX Canada

They list at $519 CAD plus tax and $25 shipping = :makeitrain"

After a discount code, my final all in cost was under $325 CAD. Great deal considering my usual Gore-tex work boots run about the same price.

Not sure if there is a US discount code available but it is definitely worth looking into.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
    Reddingnative likes this.
  15. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I have to bump- got a pair of lowa tibet as my new go to about a month ago. Vibram soles, resoleable, goretex. Pretty happy. Got a deal I couldn’t pass up with one of my vendors so I pulled the trigger. Still have my nicks, and a few other pairs of lowas. Almost went for kenetreks but not rebuildable. Stupid for me who can do the labor in house.

Attached Files:

XXL likes this.
  16. XXL

XXL

I really like the fact that they are resoleable. I have gotten rid of several good boots because I have worn out the tread:confused:.

17. Erik B

Erik B

A year ago I had to buy a new pair of boots for chainsaw work. I ended up getting a pair of Red Wings with a composite toe. I told the guy I would be wearing them while using a chainsaw and he said composite was stronger than steel. How bad of a mistake did I make?

18. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Erik B and XXL like this.
  19. XXL

XXL

:bug: Eye opening video! Thanks for sharing.

Erik B and eatonpcat like this.
  20. Chud

Chud

Toe protection is important. I’ve never cut into a boot, but I’ve had a few big logs sit down on my toes while cutting up big fallen trees in deep brush where I couldn’t fully see my feet, or what a cut was going to do. Had some big rounds plop on my toes too. Steel toes are not always comfortable, but I still got 10 toes.

eatonpcat likes this.