In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's your favorite chainsaw boot

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by MaineMtnMan, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Fabz

Fabz Banned

110FAB57-DE4E-4E3A-8968-139149537CE7.jpeg

MaineMtnMan likes this.
  2. Fabz

Fabz Banned

Ad tec logging boots ... on sale for $63 ... no $700 pair by far but with the difference (700-63= 637) ya can pick up another 241c or 261c loaded ! Lol

MaineMtnMan likes this.
  3. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Interesting about the Carolina's.

We had a RedWing Boot Dealer inside the shipyard and we were discussing this and many of us found we bought Carolina's because they were more comfortable and wore like iron...but it has been a few years since I bought any. Maybe they aren't the same boot any more????

Sadly, I know the town Katie is from had a shoe factory (as much of Maine did at one time), and they are advertised as Made in USA, but really there is about 15 workers there that get the shes from China and then stuff them into boxes for the made-in-USA label. At one time they had several hundred people working there including her Grandparents.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  4. Brian72

Brian72

I've been wearing Chippewa insulated loggers since high school. The only boot that really kept my feet warm and dry in the cold and nasty weather. I strayed because they no longer brand them as made in USA. Maybe I made a mistake. My feet get soaked and cold in the Carolinas.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

5. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I do wonder if they changed their leather or waterproofing or something?

I only buy insulated boots too which I wonder if it changes things?

Now I live out of my Muck Boots most of the time, lately glad that I have them as I have been logging in one of the wettest parts of my forest, and with all the rain and snow that we got, the Snud is almost up to my knees at times!

Snud=Snow-Mud

Brian72 likes this.
  6. Brian72

Brian72

Not really sure. We all know that over time, leather boots will become less waterproof but my Carolinas just sucked from day one. I haven't even worked much in them yet. Had them for probably 2 months and wore them very little. I knew I wasn't buying the best but $150 isn't exactly cheap either.

MaineMtnMan likes this.
  7. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

IMG_4283.JPG I have Carolina waterproof loggers and they are very good. Comfortable, tough and have not failed being waterproof. They have served me well for over a year.

Brian72, MaineMtnMan and Barcroftb like this.
  8. fuelrod

fuelrod

:thumbs: .....like bedroom slippers!
    I just plain don't like a high heeled boot anymore, sadly I have many including custom built White's & Hathorn's in the closet, mostly just sitting there. Every time I give'em another try I come back to the same conclusion.:(

9. Brian72

Brian72

Glad you're having better luck than me. Mine have been horrible. Did you treat them with anything?

Ashwatcher and eatonpcat like this.
  10. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

I did sir, approxiamately 1 month into the break in, I put a light coat of mink oil on, let dry then buffed and placed another thin coat on and just let it dry. I am a nut over leather, be it furniture, car interior, etc. I prob do more than I have to but its just a thing with me, nourishing the leather. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I shopped, and waited on a pair of Chippewa's that were much more expensive but were always out of stock. I finally had to pull the trigger on a pair and so far, so good. Have you contacted the company?

11. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

High heeled boots can generate some kinds of problems. Due to some knee injuries I've had. I had to stop wearing my White Smoke Jumper for a while. I got a new pair since then but only wear them on Sunday. I've been wearing them Most Sunday's since July and they are about half broke in now :).
    White's are great boots and my feet love the Arch Ease last but walking around on hard , flat ground isn't the place for them. Thinking about getting a pair of Viberg 45s for summer.
    Do you guys grease your leather boots ??

12. Brian72

Brian72

No. Maybe I should call them. I know over time boots need treatment. I was really shocked how wet they got inside. I guess I should've treated them right away. I'll do that before I call them.

13. Brian72

Brian72

Nothing worse than breaking in new boots. I take mine and wade in a creek. A trick my buddy told me from being in the military. It helps to soften the leather a bit and conform to your feet.

14. Brian72

Brian72

On a side note, I found a really good shoe store near me that carries all the major brands. If you ever need Chippewas, give them a call or shoot me a message. I had the same problem finding them. I'll PM you their information. I don't know if we're allowed to name businesses on here.

15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she wondered if maybe why people were getting different experiences was because people were getting the same Brand Name (Carolina) but different style boots. For instance I always got Carolina, Logger Style (it seems funny calling them high-heels) , Black Oiled, Insulated boots. I never thought about the mink oil. I use that on my boots, slobbering it on, then using a hair dryer to warm the leather and the oil and letting it soak in. Maybe that is the difference between wet feet.

As a side note, I always wear Super Feet too: insoles in my boots and sneakers or more comfort. A person looks at those things and wonders how in the world they would be comfortable as there is hardly a soft spot on them, but it really helps my back.

tamarack and Cold Trigger Finger like this.
  16. fuelrod

fuelrod

I think that's my issue. That and they are just plain heavy and my knees feel it.
    I use Redwings "conditioner", it comes in a jug with a brush it's convenient to use and does seem to help keep the leather supple.

17. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

Thx Brian72 - The pair I was attempting to obtain were made with Apache leather, apparently a really thick high quality top grain leather the company was having a difficult time obtaining from the supplier. That ship has sailed but nonetheless, thank you for your kind gesture. I would start where you bought the boots, explain and see their response. I would then follow up with the company. I would respectfully disagree that your failure to treat the boots in any way makes the company less culpable as you purchased them as "waterproof". Sounds like a membrane/possible poor stitching issue to me. I would also disagree that submerging a pair in water right away is a good break in component. Water dries leather out. Anyway, let us know how it works out. I hope Carolina stands behind the product as work boots are obviously a highly competitive market and we all have choices. Good luck my friend.

Hammy and Brian72 like this.
  18. JCMC

JCMC

Used to be I could go to the shoe store try on a pair of boots and they would just feel comfortable. Now a days I have a terrible time finding a pair of boots that are comfortable whether Carolina, Chippewa, Wolverine or whatever I've spent hours trying on boots just can't find a real comfortable pair. Bought a pair of Danner's
    Maybe we should do what Mick Dodge does get some of that pine tar on your feet and go barefoot all the time. :picard: :rofl: :lol:

tamarack and Brian72 like this.
  19. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

Since everyones feet are different , it can take some doing getting them to fit just right. Walking in a crik with a new pair of boots isnt the worst thing a guy can do.
    For insulated boots there is lots of stuff inside the leather exterior that doesnt take well to lots of water.
    But ALL LEATHER BOOTS need boot grease. I use White's , Obenauf's , Huberd's And rendered bear fat. I used to use Loggers Wear boot oil. But I think they quit making it.
    Boot grease or oil makes the boot warmer, more waterproof, and most make boots more supple . Snow Seal doesnt soften leather as it was designed for ridged mountaineering boots.
    Some guys like rendered mutton tallow . Not much for sheep around here.
    I will say that rendered bear fat is the single best boot grease Ive ever used. I triple render and strain only the pure snow white fall fat.
    Warm it up and paint it on my dry ,clean , warm boots . With a paint brush.

20. fuelrod

fuelrod

But how does it do in a skillet with some taters :rofl: :lol:.

greendohn, Hammy, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.